Prepping a KDX for storage... tips?

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hey All,

I'm returning to the Philippines in 2 weeks and want to store my 1993 KDX250 for one, maybe two years. I'd love to be able to return to PA in 2005, get it out of my Dad's garage, kick it a half dozen times and have her fire up! What can I do to now to make that happen?

Thanks!

p.s. I'll still be roaming around on this forum, because I have a KDX250SR in Manila waiting for my return! Thanks again.

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
1. Clean Bike

2. Grease all bearings and suspension

3. Put Stabil in gas tank or completely drain

4. Drain carb of gas

5. Put 1 - 2 oz of two stroke oil down spark plug hole with piston at the bottom of it stroke and slowly rotate the kick start lever, preferably the oil
has some kind of rust inhibitor in it.

6. Put WD40 on exposed shock shaft

7. Put on stand

8. Change Transmission oil

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
9. Lube cables

10. Lift bike onto a stand to prevent flat spots on tires.

11. Add extra air to tires.

12. Cover bike with some sort of bed sheet, tarp, etc.

13. Instead of putting WD40 on exposed suspension shafts, I use car wax and don't wipe it off.

14. Lube chain, even if it is o-ring to prevent rust on outside of links.

15. Get one of those exhaust plugs and cork up the tail pipe.

kmx125r

~SPONSOR~
May 23, 2000
Hey 2cycle and SkiPro,

Thanks for the ideas...

I just went through the whole bike last month... new wheel bearings - front and rear, new swingarm bearings, new lower shock bearing and new grease to all other suspension bearings... since then I've put only 75 miles on the bike... no wet conditions. I think I'll let the bearings alone.

I saw the Stabil stuff at Walmart... can I add that to the tank and actually run it in the bike and then let her sit without draining the carb? Seems to me that it would be better to have the "Stabil"ed gas in it rather than be dry... gaskets, etc. What do you think?

I have a stand so I plan to keep the tires off the ground.

Didn't think about the shock shaft... thanks for that one! Replacing a pitted shaft is no small expense!

Thanks again...

crustydirt

Oct 9, 2002
Jim,

I live in Northern MN, and unfortanlly have lots of experince using stabil as I can only rides bikes about 5-7 months a year (of course snowmobiling the other months :D).

Anyway, stabil is only effective for about a year, maybe less.

Does the KDX have a plastic tank??

If yes, I'd run the stabil through the system, then drain the tank and carbs (put the gas in the truck). Otherwise, in two years you might find your gas varnished anyways, and then youre in for a carb cleaning as well.

If no, run the stabil through the system and keep the tank topped off to prevent rust.

twocycle

Feb 21, 2002
When I use Stabil I fill up the gas tank, to prevent condensation, but I still
drain the carb. In your case where you are leaving for two years I would think
it would be better to empty the gas tank and start with fresh gas on your return. Stabil does have a shelf life but I do not know what it is.

crustydirt

Oct 9, 2002
Oh yea. I never drain my carbs after using the stabil. This has been my process for bikes, sleds, lawnmowers, etc... for the last 20 years. I have had no problems with the carbs gumming up.

I also run Techron carb cleaner before I put the bike away, and again when I take it out of storage. The stuff is pricey but really seems to work.

dan

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
2 years is a long time dude, better ship it to dry, rust free California for safe keeping. Heck, I'll even make sure it doesn't sit around getting varnish buildup in the carb for ya. That's just the kind of guy I am, ready to help out a fellow KDXer.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Before you do number 5 (adding 2 stroke oil the cylinder), I would also start up the engine and spray Engine storage lubricant through the carburator until it gags and dies. This way, the bottom and top ends will be fully lubricated.

Good luck

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
What ever you do, don't run the carb dry by turning off the fuel and running the engine. This will result in a lean condition right when the fuel is depleated. The bike will overrev and sometimes seize.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom