RomKX5

Feb 4, 2002
I'm gonna hit some sand dunes for the first time next weekend. I already got paddle tires, and I changed the oil on both bikes. Any other tips and hints before I ride? Thanks.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
if you have an old set of sprockets and chain, put them on. same with plastic.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I've heard that people use women's stockings in the air boot/box. Not sure how they do it, maybe someone else has heard this and can explain it better.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I've heard of FilterSkinz which are similar to stockings. They put them around the filter. That way, in order to to clean the filter, they just pull of the stocking and voila! Or so I hear.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by crkid
I've heard that people use women's stockings in the air boot/box. Not sure how they do it, maybe someone else has heard this and can explain it better.

You use it as kind of a pre-filter. You.stretch it over the filter but make sure when you put the filter back on make for sure that none of the panty hose gets between it and the air box.This will keep excess sand from sticking to the filter. You`re also going to want to wipe off any any excessive lubricants and use a dry type chain lube all these seem to do is attract sand where you don`t want it.
You can also forget about the front brake seeing that all it`s good for in the sand is launching you over the bars. All you havee to do to stop is to ease off the throttle.Have fun riding the dunes is a blast.

Steve

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
A properly prepped filter is usually good for 2 days of sand riding then is ready for cleaning so if you just go for the weekend prep it good and have fun it will be fine.

RomKX5

Feb 4, 2002
OK, I'll clean and re-oil the air filters as well as get some filterskinz or pantyhose. Also, I'll get some dry chain lube. I gotta get used to not using the front break cuz that's all I usually use in dirt. Oh, and I usually use a ratio of 32:1 (MX2T) on both bikes with no problems. Should I stay at that ratio for sand? Thanks, all!

Last edited:

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
if you are going to use more oil prepare to rejet and jet on the richside maybe a colder plug also. Unfortunately you really wont be able to tell till you get there. If you have a flywheel weight that you can take off take it off.
go to an automotive paint store and get some paint strainers for your fuel <when you top off out there>, use an inline fuel filter. Dont use Rolloffs on your goggles but bring spare lenses , wear tight underware well atleast the elastic in them still in good shape wear a long undershirt and keep that tucked yet let your jersey flap. If your bike is set up for sharp turning drop the forks in the clamps or add some sag to the rear shock and maybe some more compression on the clickers. keep on the gas and have fun!!!!!

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Get a flag and axle flag mount for both bikes before you go, most dunes require all ORV's to have a flag. One thing about flags on bikes is they tend to get sucked in to the tire at times so what we have done is to drill a hole in the rear fender and secure the flag at the fender with a cable tie which helps keep the flag from getting in the tire.

Don't worry so much about the filter in sand you can get 2-3 days on the filter before cleaning or changing.

You also might want to use water wetter and as suggested up the jetting one step.

The main thing about dune riding is having a paddle I wouldn't worry so much about the plastic or suspension about 70% of my riding is at the dunes and plastic still looks great and the same settings for the dunes and the track work fine.

RomKX5

Feb 4, 2002
I just came from a cycle shop and they told me that only quads need flags. I thought bikes need them as well in CA (I'm going to Pismo beach). I guess I'll call Pismo and ask them for sure.

I wish I knew how to jet down...up...jet period. I have never done it before and the people I'm going with never jetted before. Both my bikes run fine in the desert on stock jetting (at least I think it's stock jetting). I'll read my manual.

tristan68

Mar 14, 2001
i heard pismo doesn't really need a paddle tire, but i've never been out there.
post a report when you come back, because thats a place i want to check out.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
there's an article in the new dirt rider about pismo. i think it says flags are required.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
Originally posted by MoO_coW
Watter wetters makes your engine run hotter actually. Distilled water works best.(if im mistaken please tell me)

Water wetters help the coolant disapate heat better. I`ve read how they work but don`t remember the details. Distilled water has had the minerals and other junk removed it`s recomended because it keeps the corosion in the cooling system down to a minimum.

Steve

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
I always raise the front end/lower the forks in the clamps several mm's, this helps keep the fronts end light which is very important in deep sand.
Your ridin' bud Kurt

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom