Pretty specific about getting a dirt bike (non MX) for a short heavy dude

teddyruxpin

Feb 18, 2007
Hey folks,

I'll try to be as specific as possible, but I believe I'd thought this out pretty good as to what I need:

I'm gonna get a dirtbike, and I've thought out my requirements, how I'm gonna ride it, etc, any advice would be *much* appreciated:

1) I won't be riding MX, *ever*, just fun offroading, so a trailbike is fine by me. I'm also not interested in a street-legal dual purpose, and I'm not changing my mind on taking up street riding. If you recommend a dual purpose as the best fit (size, maintainability, etc), fine, but rest assured it'll never ride an inch on any street.

2) I'd want it to be able to take a beating and don't mind learning to fix a little, I'm fairly handy, but I *hate* expensive parts, so I'm trying to keep it to a air cooled 2 stroke, but that may not be possible (see below)

3) Because I'm big (225 pounds), but short (5'9", with real short legs) I'm kind of in a pickle, I'd like a big *mellow* bike (this is pretty much the most important part to me), but I'm not sure how many big bikes (say 250's) will also be short enough for fireplugs like me. On this note, I'm looking at rm 250's or cr 500's, but big and mellow is the key, what do you think?

I'm pretty strong, so heavy isn't the end of the world, but if I can get a lighter bike that can move me, of course who wouldn't!?

Lastly, money's not the biggest issue, I want to find the right bike that fits my needs, and being a squat musclehead guy (who is short), I'm used to having a very hard time finding stuff for pretty much whatever hobbies I get into.

P.s. if it matters, this'll be almost entirely desert riding (Mojave Desert)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Big and mellow and you're looking at a CR500? There is nothing at all mellow about that bike. When I think big and mellow, I think DR400 or something like that. Most of us wouldn't consider 5'9" short. I'm 5'10 and feel too tall for my bike in some situations. From the sounds of it, you don't have much riding experience. The truth is, full-sized dirtbikes will feel tall between anybodies legs until you get used to it. If you're going to be riding the desert and are strong enough to muscle around a real bike, consider an XR650R. The motor is tame, especially in stock trim. They fly once you unplug them, but they're still very tame and manageable. Another point about desert riding and bike height, you never need to touch the ground in the desert and you need as much suspension travel as possible, so a taller bike is usually better.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
An XR 400 would fit you good. Pretty much bullet proof and you could get it lowered if necessary. The next option would be a KDX 200 or 220. These bikes are awsome and have some snap to them. You would likely need new springs for your weight but would be a fun trail machine.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Yamaha WR bikes or the Honda CRF-X models would probably suit your needs. Both are 4 stroke trail bikes (250 and 450) with big bike dimensions and mellower motors than their MX counterparts.

teddyruxpin

Feb 18, 2007
Nothing in a 2 cycle? ;P

So, looks like Honda and Yamaha pretty much only make 4 cycle bikes? They just seem like such a pain in the @$$ compared to a 2 cycle. Is a 4 cycle not as bad as it sounds (to me) to maintain?

I figured to get something bigger this would be the way I'd have to go. What years did they make XR 400's?

Top Bottom