nkg7

Feb 14, 2001
I am under a debate of which one to send my suspension into.If you have one of these please tell me how you liked it and if you didn't right now im leaning toward Pro-Action since there is one of there franchises about 2 hours from here.So what are yalls opinions on this?Thanks

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Haven't used Pro-Action

I haven't used "Pro-Action", so I can't compare, however, I have used MX-Tech, and found the proprietor to be a knowledgeable and enthusiastic supporter of our sport.

My contact was all though email and UPS. After my first contact, a box was sent to me to place the forks in. After about a week turn-around time, the forks were sent back, ready to go, and have worked great since last summer. It's hard to say how many races on them.

The only problem I had was with UPS, but that's another story.

JB

Mar 23, 2000
I'VE USED THEM BOTH. I FEEL THAT JER@MX DOES A BETTER JOB OF GIVING YOU WHAT YOU NEED. HE ASK'S THE QUESTIONS, AND SETS THE SUSPENSION FOR YOUR WEIGHT AND ABILITY. PRO ACTION DOES GOOD WORK ALSO, BUT YOU GET GENERIC BOINGERS.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
MX Tech not only do they do great suspension work they sponser this site.Roost on!
01cr250

Oct 27, 2000
I have used both. I feel MX-Tech does a better job of suiting the individual rider with suspension for his riding style. Just asking for weight and riding class doesn't cut it. MX-Tech go's out of their way to understand your needs. I think some companies get to big for their own good. MX-Tech is there to help you and not worried about Robbie Knievels next attempt at Snake River Canyon.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Regardless who the suspension tuner is, he can only go by what the rider/client tells him. I do not feel most people acurately relay the info needed for the tuner to make a sound set-up decision. Many people have thier "motocrosers", set up for the track. But then they do 90% of thier riding off-road! While I do believe "good suspension" is, "good suspension", the faster you are the more application specific set-up you will probaly demand. Riding styles, personal preferences, and local tracks and or trails can even make things more specific.

Since there is obviously a plethora of things to take into consideration on the tuners part, I believe the business relationship with the rider, is the single most critical point. Most "Good" companies will give a "set-up" gaurantee. It is up to the rider to evaluate/critique the set-up, then stay in touch with the tuner.

I personally have had a working relationship with Mr. Quay, (Pro-Action) for quite awhile, no I'm not a franchise. He has over the years shown me to be a man of integrity. While I have been frustrated at times with shipping and long distance charges, he has alway's followed through to my satisfaction.

Having said all that, I'm "Big time" impressed with Mr. Wilkey and even more stoked he has a franchise in my area. I look forward to trying his tuner out soon.

meckanik

Apr 12, 2001
I just had my suspension done by the local MX-Tech dealer, Pro-Design Suspension (Thanks Steve!) It is incredable! Very plush on jumps and super stable through the whoops. I have ridden Pro-Action suspened bikes before and they seemed to have retained the mid-stroke harshness of the Showas. Also in the the Sept 2000 MXA mag they had a YZ fork revalve shootout. MX-Tech blew away everybody, including Pro-Action.

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
I'll second that motion for sending it to Shock Nut! I am absolutely delighted with the performance of my RM250's suspension!!! Look for the thread with "Trak Control, the jury is in" for details.

If you compare the pricing, you will find that Shock Nut's revalve will cost a bit less than going with the different fork & shock piston set ups.

Good luck with your choice. As was stated earlier, if you can reply your information to the tuner, your suspension will be better suited to your riding style. :)

DaddGoneMadd

Apr 23, 2000
I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with either of these two companies yet, but when I do, I will send my business to the one who is here to answer any silly question I might have. Get my point?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I rode the Mamba(suspension by MX tech) a couple of weeks ago, Suspension was great. Better than anythign I had ridden and it was not even set up for me.

mmxr

Mar 16, 2000
remember "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ? MX-TECH cares about quality and service. Can't go wrong with MX-TECH

nicky

Mar 18, 2001
I don't know anything about MX-tech. Pro Action did a great job on my KDX220. They went out of their way to work my bike into their busy schedule. I drove 3 hours and waited while they fixed it. They had pre ordered the springs and parts they would need. It only took about 4 hours. Afterwards they fine tuned the bike before I left. I think that was better than sending out the parts a long distance and them not knowing all there is to know about my riding ability. It made a big improvement. Before hand I would feel all the small roots, rocks, holes and get arm pump after about 30 minuites of riding. Now I ride for hours without pump and feel more confident in woops and jumps. Either company will probably do you a good job. Good luck and happy riding.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Let me see if I get the question: "Okay, I know there's this world famous suspension guy. Who got really high marks in a major motorcycle magazine shoot out last year. Who has reasonable rates and great service to go along with his expertise. Who answers questions, for free, on this really cool dirtbike site that I found. And who gets ringing endorsements from everyone who has used his services. Well I was just wondering -- maybe I should find somebody else, instead, to do my suspension?"

Weird thing is, now that I think I've figured out the question, I think I know the answer. Go with "someone else" other than MX Tech. Please. Leave Jeremy Wilkey for the rest of us (I'll refrain from using the word "deserving"). :cool:

meckanik

Apr 12, 2001
Jeremy's attitude and dedication is apparent in his franchises as well. I called my local MX-Tech dealer (Pro-Design Suspension) for a couple of tips on servicing my friends forks. He actually took me step by step through the entire process, and said to call him if I had any problems during the procedure. Also, this was over his personal cell phone, after buisness hours. The guy is too cool......the service is the best I've had anywhere....the suspension embodies every reason you hear you should revalve......

Jeff
'01 CR250

Top Bottom