Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydog

Jun 1, 2002
i am going to have some suspension work done and have it narrowed down to pro action and race tech. would anyone care to share their opinions on dealing with either of these two companies? please help!!

Heat

Jan 8, 2002
I would narrow it down again. With your location check I would check with Enzo or RG3.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
All of my bikes are done with RACE-TECH - Brian Storrie has ridden 4 six days and can dial a suspension perfectly. I must admit though, I've never used anybody else but after 20+ years of riding he has it together!

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Sorry, I too am being a little biased. Your final choice is between RT and Pro Action? :scream:

Just my opinion, but I'd do some more studying if I were you.

;)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
To give a little help tace tech is renowned for disabling the midvalves on modern forks(not good) and Pro action had issues with badly made pistons causing stiction.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I'm with Degbert MX-Tech. So Cal Suspension Service is who I use. Steve has done 4 bikes for me already. Not only does he deliver on time he stands behind his work 100%. When he did my 02yz250 I wasnt real happy with it. After talking with Steve and trying a few things we still could not get it right. So I ended up sending it back to him, not only did he completly revalve both ends for free, he drove down to TJ and crossed it over the border for me and then recrossed and shipped it back to me within a week. I seriously doubt you will find that kind of service anywhere else.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I just got my suspension done by Pro-Action and man it is great. For all of you that have said comments like "Do more research" etc....
Have you actually ridden a bike done up by pro-action or race-tech?
Or have you had your nose stuffed in mags for too long?

I have a 01 CR which isn't a badly suspended bike stock, it bottomed to easy for me and it was a tad harsh in the forks. I got my bike done by pro-action and got it fully revalved with a stiffer rear spring. And it has made a WONDERFUL difference, it's so plush, turns sharper, doesn't wash out. It's just great. Talk to both tuners *(this is what makes a lot of difference) My tuner was very kind, told me exactly what he was doing, what effects it would have) he even helped me set it up further at a race.

I have only dealt with race-tech for a very breif encounter and I didn't enjoy it :D

PS. I noticed a little oil on my shock shaft after a few rides, My tuner told me to try and clean it with contact cleaner, and if it doesn't stop he will gladly ship it and fix it for free :) that's some good service

Last edited:

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i recommend you do not use race-tech due to their poor customer service. i'll leave it at that. find someone as close to you as possible so you can deal with them face to face. i bet you have someone with 100 miles.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
CR,
I'm glad your results with PA where fair. PA in general is a company made up of bullies, and less than stellar business practices.

I don't rember if any of you recal, but almost a year ago to the day the head techincan of Pro-action came on this board and claimed that my company had stollen technolgy from them. It proved to be quite intresting as they did not even understand how a fork worked. The local franchise lie all day long to get customers, including sabatgoging set-ups from other tunners, to attrmpt to get work.

Plain and simply almost evrything I've ever seen from PA is total hack work, they generally have every exscuse in the world for any problems other than admiting mistakes, they don't pay there bills to ther vendors etc. They don't contribute to the industyr or the sport. Do you ever See PA on this forum? Do they answer all your tech questions? Will they give you a money back guarntee?

Simple fact of the matter, Invistage, ask questions, and demand the best. Naturally I'm goning to take some heat for this but I'll back it up all day long... I keep my forum from being a spam fest, But whatever you do don;t go to PA... And in that light I recomend you contact these people.

Call:
Enzo, RG3, WhiteBros, TrakControl

Best Regards,
Jer

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I have heard from some local MXers that it took PA a few trys to get their bike right but no one is perfect... right???

Anyway I have had stuff done by WER & GP and liked it for the woods. WER said he didn't do alot of Mini's so I looked at MXTECH EAST for Juniors RM85

Like mentioned here check around , ask questions and feel comfortable with the tuner.

I will give Jer's team a AAA+++ here too. John did Juniors RM Forks at a GNCC hours before the race and the bike preformed as expected. Junior gave John feedback and that evening at 9:00 PM John decided to do Junior's rear shock. At 11:15PM it was done so I could reassemble the bike and catch some ZZZZ's before driving 5.5 hours to the next race at 10am back home in Penna. The performance matched the excellent service. Watching John work was very educating and his skills are top rate. Just my 2 cents on suspension companies.

Last edited:

tom sawyer

May 6, 2002
our pa guy was a welder and was not involved in m/c tuning or riding
now all of a sudden he is a suspension tuner!!!
seems like pa would be more picky about who they let represent the company . I have had work done by pa in the past and felt my stock stuff was better.

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
I would suggest talking with Richard Wilson at "House of Horsepower" in Cottage Grove, Oregon.

Richard has been doing suspension work for over twenty years. He is very knowledgeable and should be able to get your bike dialed in the best way to suit your riding style.

www.houseofhorsepower.com

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
:eek:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
:eek: is right Vic. Its amazing to me all the big shots who do read here at DRN and you don't even know it. It's good to see your thinking outside the box George. We all can learn alot from Jer. :)

Heat

Jan 8, 2002
I would say he was tipped off about this thread , it doesn`t mean he is a regular reader of DRN.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by George Quay
Geez Jeremy, that was pretty sick. I forgive you. I know how bad you want to be a hero......... George Quay

George,
I'm sorry you don't like my opinion. But the things you've done in your long and ilustrous career add merrit to my points. From your phone calls threating to bury my " #$@#@$@$#%#" to the lies you tell your customers and franchises, the way I see it you've made your bed.

Sometime maybe you'll turn over a new leaf, who knows maybe this is the start but after all the hassle and bad will you've created in this industry I refuse to acknowlwegde you as a ligitmate professional suspension tuner. Whilst my measage above is rather strong, and crude point by its not too far off and you Do Know it. To avoid it from getting serious I've spared the details.

If you really want to make a diference GQ start by telling the truth for a change. You'll get your opertunity I'm sure, so next time tell them that You did'nt teach me everything I know, and that I've never Copied PA.. That would be a nice start.

Best Regards,
Jer

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
PAOFMI,
Funny man.. I may not be able to spell but you can read between the lines.. I can see how pasionite you are about suspension that the best defence you have for your boss GQ is to heckle my spelling.. Nice Bro!

After poundering the situation some more here is a very conscice purpose.

I have spent my life thus far figthing the good fight, working to be the best I could be. I've made mistakes done some smart things, done some tragicaly stupid things. But thats life. Along the way I've had soem great teachers, some great competiors as well. I've allways done my best to acknowlwgde the truth that is I'm just a guy with devotion to suspension. I've tried to be bigger than my own limtaitons. I've tried to be a care taker to my industry addmiting my mistakes, trying to be good to my customers, and educating the avergae joe how to get the most from ther suspension.

I've meet people with simliar ambitions and we've had or diferences, but you know what they are good people with good intentions. I respect these people. They look after there customers attempt to learn more and be better everyday.

GQ, you on the otehr hand are the exact oposite. For these reasons I don't welcome you to the greater Faternity of Professional suspension builders. Wether I'm in it alone or not I don't know, but realsistcally I don't care, I love my feild, and thats reward enough, and I'll continue to try to build bridges with other RESPECTABLE professionals.

Best Regards,
Jer

oldslodave

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 2002
I think most of the big name suspension companies could likely do a good job for you, providing you can make them understand what you need/want. I used Race Tech for my 01 CR250, mostly because I wanted to learn how to do it myself. I had used a local guy for a while, even though he did a pretty good job, it would always take 2 weeks to get it turned around. So I figured I would learn to do it myself.
Now the good and bad about my experience with Race Tech. Their customer service absolutely sucks. The guy on the phone just wanted to sell parts. Sold me 3 quarts of suspension fluid when 2 was more than enough ($25 a quart!!). Sold me a mid-valve removal kit when one is included in the fork kit. After purchasing, they wouldn't return a phone call.
However, they did refund my the costs of the stuff I didn't need (although I got stuck with return shipping). Also, between the video and my service manual, I had little trouble installing the kits in the forks and shock in one evening. And the end result is my bike works great and I can now service/change my set-up anytime I want. I'm about as mechanically inclined as the average rider, so I think any rider that sucessfully does all their maintenance could handle a suspension revalve (assuming they know how they like their bike set-up).
So, if you decide to go with Race Tech, buy the stuff from a reseller like Cycle Gear or HiperSports, save a little $$ and avoid their customer (dis)service. Good luck.
David
It's kinda ashame, cause everyone I know says Paul Thede is a great guy and works hard for his customers. To let his company image get hammered by poor customer service reps seems unreal to me.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
By the way...here's a little plug for a company that Jer mentioned. Check out Jeff Howe at TrakControl Dynamics in Minnesota. Jeff is a good guy who seems to be very knowledgeable about suspension tuning. I recently had him service and respring my front and rear suspension for my '98 KX 250. Great turnaround time and attention to details. This guy does things right.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I like the addition of "George Quay" at the end of your post. Like we all really thought someone else would post under the username "George Quay".
You are NOT MIKE and nobody wants to be like you! Well, except maybe paofmi and he appears to be a tool anyway :moon:

Hey Jeremy, how is the KTM thing working out?

George Quay

Jun 20, 2002
Wow Jer, you must be a really bitter person. I think that you should seek some type of counceling for anger management. You need some serious help. I certainly have no idea what I might have possibly done to make you attack me like this but you should quit it. You're embarrassing me and you're really beginning to embarrass yourself. Hatred is an ugly thing. After 25 years in the suspension business I really don't deserve this..............GQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom