kdxtrailrider

Mar 1, 2001
I bought my '97 KDX200 used with a Pro Circuit Pipe on it. I read that most of you with KDX's are using FMF. Does anyone else use Pro Circuit pipe, or have problems with there Pro Circuit pipe? I have thought about buying an FMF Gnarly, but right now the bike has good power on the bottom end and performs good. Could always use a little more grunt on the low end.

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Re: Pro circuit pipe

I have a 00' KDX 200 with a PC pipe on it and it rips! I really noticed a big difference after I rode with the stock pipe and then put the PC pipe on. It was money well spent. As far as problems go, I haven't had any with the pipe being defective or anything like that. I just seem to dent it up really good when I go down. The pipe I have now is a "works finish", meaning that it is bare metal and it tends to rust if not rubbed with steel wool and then oiled. I just ordered a platinum finished PC pipe and I know that it will require a little less attention as far as rust goes, but I still think that you have to take preventive measures to keep it from rusting. I would buy the PC pipe again.
By the way, if you do get it banged up, take it to a body shop and they will be able to get the dents out. I hope that this helps.....good luck with the bike. :D

00' KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
AMA
GNCC

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Re: Pro Circuit Pipe

I too have a Pro Circuit "Works" Pipe and Silencer on my '95 KDX-I love it! It really made the bike come to life. One thing I did was add a spacer between the pipe and cylinder, which gave the PC pipe quite a bit more low end grunt...still revs way more than stock. I haven't hit the pipe hard enough to dent it...yet, and the pipe is great quality.
I also have boyesen dual stage reeds, and some minor airbox mods. I have yet to change the stock jetting-I ran out of summer and had to go back to college in Milwaukee. While I'm at school, my bike is six hours away, unless I go home on the weekend.:( I am going home this weekend though, so hopefully I'll finally get it jetted right.

P.S. Suspension Mods are on the way!

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
I'm a big fan of the PC pipe I put on my 96 KDX200. It has lots of lowend and will rev forever. I also put on one of the spine type pipe guards and have yet to put a dent in it.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I wouldn't spend the money on a new pipe if I already had a good PC. Dents and rust? Whats that though? The fmf is really hard to dent and I haven't seen a bit of rust on it. Those two reasons would be enough to make me switch to an fmf if I ever had to replace the pipe due to damage or something.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
RE: Pro Circuit Pipes

kdxtrailrider,
First a little bash for the fmf pipes: if you've checked out all the threads, then you've read about the fmf pipes rubbing on the rear spring, causing a nasty little squeaking noise. Easy to fix, but I haven't heard of Procircuit pipes having this problem in the first place. Makes you wonder about the build quality between the two brands. :p

Don't get me wrong, I like fmf. But an fmf pipe is not worth getting rid of your perfectly good Procircuit pipe for. Procircuit's KDX pipe runs basically like the fmf rev pipe. Like I, and many others, have said before, if you want more low end (out of ANY pipe), just add a spacer (pipe seal) between the pipe and cylinder. Again, I did this, and it gave my Procircuit pipe allot more grunt, and it still revs like crazy. And if you are satisfied with what you have, why risk a change.

Back to the dents and rust... If you have a "platinum" pipe, rust isn't an issue. Only the "works" pipes rust, because they are unfinished. Regardless, the rust that forms on the "works" pipe is only a slight surface rust, and the rust on mine usually gets rubbed off when I ride anyway. The fact that the works pipes are unfinished also makes them cheaper to buy than the "platinum" pipes. Other than the finish, the works and platinum pipes are the same. The PC platinum pipes have a similar finish to fmf pipes, and don't get rusty. As far as dents are concerned, I don't have a pipe guard on my bike, and my pipe hasn't been bashed in yet. Neither the fmf or PC pipes are as indestructable as the stock pipe, and I think it would be equally easy to smash either one (except for the heavy duty fmf pipe).

Plus, as a side note: As you noticed, most of the guys with aftermarket pipes have fmf. With a bike as common as the KDX, I think it is nice to have one that is a little different than the rest...wait, on second thought, get an fmf pipe lol! :D

If I ever have to replace my pipe, I'll get another Procircuit, (call it brand loyalty, like all the folks who swear by the KDX). I hope this helps you make your decision.

kdxtrailrider

Mar 1, 2001
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear there are a few other PC pipe users. I haven't heard about the spacer though. I am definitely going to try.

I know I have the PC "works", which is starting to show a little battle scars. Few little dents, but as they say "if you don't wreak once in a while your not riding hard enough".:scream:

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Pipe Spacers

The spacer I used was just an o-ring from the local hardware store, and cost under a buck. I just picked one that was the same diameter as the pipe, and about 1/8 or 3/16 in. thick (I'm not sure of the exact size). I'm not sure how the o-ring will hold up, as I haven't taken it apart yet. I have a feeling that it might get burned up. If not, then that is a really cheap way to get more bottom end.

The better (i.e. definately reliable) way to do this is to just add another pipe seal (I think the stock one is metal...copper, maybe?) on top of the original. I'm pretty sure these are relatively cheap. If you buy a few, then you can experiment with different spacer widths to find the best combination. Just keep stacking them up until you find the combination that gives the best range of power.

I also noticed that there are "Torque Rings" available from Fredette Racing. I think these are probably just thicker seals. Go to the Fredette Racing link off of justkdx and click on "Products and Price Sheet." They are listed there as $8.95. I'm sure you could do it yourself for less $$.

The spacers don't have to be very thick (mine was 1/8 or 3/16 in.) to make a difference. There isn't a magical number-just experiment to find the combination you like best. Good luck with your bikes! Let me know what you find out.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Try Dynoport pipe

I bought my 2001 and after springs I went for a pipe. I was all set to order an FMF but called dynoport in N.Y. for a pipe/silencer instead. The way I figure if it was a GREAT PIPE, all these pipe guys are gonna copy it. I like the pro finish, I scuffed it and painted it black. I do it every now and then to keep it looking good. The Dyno Port pipe is double walled, (a little heavier, but nothing like factory one) It has held up well on some nasty get offs.
I got the pipe spacer from Freddete, was a couple of bucks, seems like it helped. I threw a new piston, boysen power reeds and that spacer all the same time, so it could be any one of them, but the scoot FLYS now.

Top Bottom