ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i've got a problem that may be hard to describe. But anywho: Since i've had this bike (a few weeks), it seems to not run right when i first get on....when I first start bike (starts easy) , it won't even pull a 1st wheelie, without me jerking at it, but within 10-15min everything seems to clean up and ride well. I've replaced carb manifold (had cracks), cleaned KIPS(and yes i believe they are together correctly, double checked that), went through carb, last night i moved the clip position down on the needle, but saw no change (not sure if i expected a change just wanted to see), i haven't pulled main jet out again, to see what size it is, could be stock. reeds look like they have some wear, need to replace. I'm my desc. is not real good, but i have gone through the searchs on the forum, and haven't really found what i think is going on with my bike. any thoughts on where to start.....oh ya 87 KDX 200

R. Phillips

Sep 10, 2002
I thought the same thing when I bought mine. It ran like crap when I first cranked it.

It takes at least 5-10 minutes to stop as they say "4-strokin".
I think the bike just needs to get hot in all the right places. i.e. plug, exhaust, valves, intake, etc.

I only leave choke on about 10 seconds. Then run it at 1/4 throttle through 3rd or 4th gear (4 or 5 minutes). Then increase to 1/2 throttle for a couple of minutes. If you can get up to 3/4 throttle with no miss, it's ready.

P.S. It's not good to open up throttle while bike is in this warm up mode. If you do, you'll notice excess smoke, and mine usually will wet the plug.

Hope this helped. :thumb:

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
thanks for all the advice....now only if i could leave work to go play!!!!!!!!!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: takes about 10 minutes....

Mine too! When it's misjetted for the situation (sometimes I'd rather ride than mess with it).

While it's not unusual to have some 4-stroking on a choke-cold start...and thus rather poor performance until things get good'n hot...you CAN jet around that if you want to.

Still, you shouldn't be quick-wicking it for the first 10 minutes anyway! Use that as an excuse to properly warm up your bike.

ZXDX:
Moving the clip down on the needle (richer) didn't help a 4-stroking situation. Made it worse. Most 2-strokes are jetted too rich. You can pretty much count on it. A blind 'just 'cuz' move to the lean side by moving the clip UP on the needle is more likely to give your bike a boost.

BTW...my last ride (last weekend): 42-152-1173L/5-#7TV @ 3500-6000' and 70º ran clean as a pin from a choke cold start. And that's too rich for maximum power, too!

*note the 'L' length. That's a 39.95L1 needle!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom