sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
hey guys I had a big problem wth stutter bumps last outing.... beat the hell outa me so I checked the factory manual and it said to decrease the # of clicks out from fully clockwise on the rear suspension for hard (rough) and fast terrian (as so to make the suspension slower to rebound ands compress)

I would think easy terrian you would want to slow down the compression and rebound .....and for rough and you would want to speed up (more turns out on both ) to let the suspension soak it up.

Am I crazy or does the fsm sound backwards and I'm not speaking of talking big jumps or do I just need a kidney belt to keep my insides from shaking out???????????

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
just to confirm I am only speaking of the rear adjustments ok guys....I know some of you only read the first sentance or every other word it seems

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
well i will find out tomorrow at durhamtown plantation I will stert with the fms recomendation and turn counter clock and see..then more ccw then all the way to position 1

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
my sag is 4" with me on it and I found that 18 clicks out on the top and 16 on the bottom works well as does the kidney belt...I was able toride aall weekend without being as sore and got to use my bark busters for their intended purpose!! didn't wreck all weekend and droped the bike once in some knarly rut with roots so the bike basically spun out from under me and I kinda steped off to the side.

My settings worked well as far as not beating me up but I noticed when I hit the big jumps the bike was harder to keep level (more rear high flight than normal with the throttle trying to level it out)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
sr5bidder said:
it said to decrease the # of clicks out from fully clockwise on the rear suspension for hard (rough) and fast terrian (as so to make the suspension slower to rebound ands compress)

Ok that is confusing. By decresing the number of clicks out you mean turn it clockwise correct?

sr5bidder said:
well i will find out tomorrow at durhamtown plantation I will stert with the fms recomendation and turn counter clock and see..then more ccw then all the way to position 1

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yes position 1 is fully clockwise and fully counter clock is position 22 or 20 depending on the upper or lower screw (clicker) by decreaseing I mean tightening or clockwise

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
yes position 1 is fully clockwise and fully counter clock is position 22 or 20 depending on the upper or lower screw (clicker) by decreaseing I mean tightening or clockwise
:whoa:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
IDK, more clicks out(larger oil flow orifice) should help the shock soak up sharp impacts. That is the issue correct, the rear end bouncing around in chop? Under acceleration? And you'll need to match the forks to the shock to get it fly correctly.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
sr5bidder said:

meaning I was going to slam it all the way back to position 1 (most dampening) to see what it really does and if I could notice any changes but I never took the opertunity as I was having so much fun and the bike seemed very smooth after I had turned the screws out 3 more clicks (ccw) than the fsm said was standard

maybe I should have wrote it like this (then all the way BACK to position 1.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you are jumping front end down, could be you or the jump! Some tables in particular throw you front down to land parallel to the ground. And there is the "I am getting old and got to be to work Monday plug chop on the face of the jump". Ask me how I know? Ride more.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I know how to jump and don't try to jump high or far and know i shouldn't be on this bike. I just thought that the adjustments imade where real good for the bumps but not the jumps and that maybe by speeding up the rebound it made the sping in the back more direct acting as far as throwing the back of the bike over the front when leaving the face of a 10-12 foot jump

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
When the back end is rebounding faster than the front, yep, it will jump front end down. Speed up the forks rebound. I like a balanced ride. Its healthier. If your riding SX style tracks, you bury the clickers, is not too far from being true. But, outdoors on fast straight aways it could be ruff!

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Try quicker rebound in your forks? Out? Get that where its best, then try turning in the compression. Make sure they are at the same clicks out, and do them 1 at a time. Doesn't that amount to what you did to the shock?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Try quicker rebound in your forks? Out? Get that where its best, then try turning in the compression. Make sure they are at the same clicks out, and do them 1 at a time. Doesn't that amount to what you did to the shock?
Really?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Whats up Joe, confused? I am, its like a dose of add! This is a kdx? This guy is jumping and having issues with studder bumps? I believe a video is in order? Not so much the repetition, as in the importance, eh? 11 year old bike, and riding like I think you are, has the suspension ever been serviced?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
kdx's don't have both adjustments in the forks only one.
serviced?
yes I have 38 springs in the front and 10wt oil (I want 42kg fork springs if someone will comit to taking the 38's for $60)
the rear has not as far as I know

A.D.D I would say not we are all from different areas and use different words sometimes getting what is meant is the hardest part.

Ok I'll clip my wings and say within 6 foot of the ground!!!

Top Bottom