Problems having Stem pressed out for USD fork conversion

ftsibley

Nov 12, 2006
Has anyone else run into this problem? machine shop cannot get kx250 stem out of the lower triple clamp. I was there watching them try to remove it. They heated it and then attempted to press the stem out of the bottom of the lower triple. At 20tons it bent the lower triple. It made me weary of trying to press out the kdx stem from its lower. I will probably just cut it out taking care not to damage stem or bearings.

from all that i have read the stem removal should not be that big of a deal. :bang: :yell:

ftsibley

Nov 12, 2006
it was not blocked i was watching them when they did it. the stem should press out by pressing from the bottom out through the top of the lower clamp right? the guy at the shop said he has never had a problem before either but he was not removing one from a kx or kdx. Now that the lowers are bent i have reordered a new brp lower triple w/o a stem in it. I hope that will work w/o any issues.

know_fear

May 19, 2000
It's quite easy to do yourself with just a propane torch and a hammer........as long as you remember to remove the clip from the end of the stem....... Whoops!!!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
It should be removed by pushing from TOP THROUGH THE BOTTOM

"the stem should press out by pressing from the bottom out through the top of the lower clamp right?"

They screwed up..Thats why it bent the Lower Triple :bang: :yell:

ftsibley

Nov 12, 2006
"They screwed up..Thats why it bent the Lower Triple" oops it was at my instruction that they pressed from the bottom. I may try it the correct way now and may be able to straighten the lower tree close to straight. thanks for the advise on the correct way to do it.

ftsibley

Nov 12, 2006
:yikes: it is much easier when done the correct way. thanks for the info, it just pressed right out this time. Now im waiting on the new lower b/c this one is bent too much to use now. probably gonna use it as a door stop now. hopfully i can finish this project up w/o any more mistakes. Thanks again for the advise.

Top Bottom