progress on the bonneville bike

ladieu229

Sponsoring Member
Jun 17, 2007
here are some pictures from the bonneville bike project!
087lml.jpg

053lml.jpg

061lml.jpg

068lml.jpg

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks for posting the pics Max. :cool:

Okie.

I would like to keep this as the official Bonneville project thread for those that may be interested in following the project. If that's ok?

A little history.

My lifelong friend and mentor, Danny Macias was in the process of rebuilding this bike to take to Bonneville and break the record he set on the bike many years ago. He passed away before completing the project. I have taken on the project and plan on completing the bike and taking it to Bonneville to break Dannys original record.

As you can see, the bike is in the early stages of completion. The engine is nearly assembled and just needs to be timed and run in on the dyno.

The frame is another story. Only have the bare frame, gas tank, oil tank and front end. Going to have to make a seat and maybe a new gas tank since the tank Danny made may not hold enough fuel for the class we intend to run. Need to lace up a set of wheels and also build some rear-set pegs and build a set of pipes. Also, have to devise an ignition system. Other than that, the project is almost done. :laugh:

The bike is a 350cc Triumph twin. It is originally a single carburetor engine. If you look closely at the pics, you can see where Danny machined the head and welded in tubing to make it a two carb, (Splayed) head. The carburetors are Amal GP's.

We will add more pics as things progress.

Also, if anyone reading this has any experience with running a bike at Speed Week, please contact me or chime in on this thread. I am a total newby at running at Bonneville and I have many questions for anyone experienced in this area.

The other bike (frame) in the photos is a 1968 Triumph Bonneville that is in the process of being restored for a customer. The scarlet and silver gas tank belongs to the '68 Bonneville.

The front hub in the photo is one that Danny machined himself. That is just one example of the quality of work the man did.

To be continued.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This is already my favorite thread EVER on DRN :)

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Transforming it from one to two carbs seems like a huge deal. Is it as tough as I would imagine and how much benefit would you expect from doing it?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
Transforming it from one to two carbs seems like a huge deal. Is it as tough as I would imagine and how much benefit would you expect from doing it?

It is very involved Mike. Requires quite a lot of machine work and tig welding.

The benefits are enormous. The single carb head works ok for the stock engine. But, when you increase the lift and duration on the cams and install big valves and port the head, the stock single carb set-up is woefully inadequate. Making these engines breathe is part of the secret to making horsepower.

The hub in the picture has a story also. When CAD-CAM technology came about, Danny bought books and tapes and self-taught himself the technology. He went out and bought a CNC lathe and mill and was soon pumping out beautiful front and rear hubs to sell to race teams. Guys like the late Ricky Graham (SP?) used his hubs on his factory team Honda RC 750 twin dirt tracker on his way to earning the National number one plate. Danny was responsible for the success of many top national stars.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Wow! Did you get a rear hub? Who is going to pilot? Getting an electric system, going how big? Engine management big? Sure like to get you at a table with Dr.Dave from Precision Auto Research, and tell him to bring a barrel of fuel! Who got the NC Work Center?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Wow! Did you get a rear hub? Who is going to pilot? Getting an electric system, going how big? Engine management big? Sure like to get you at a table with Dr.Dave from Precision Auto Research, and tell him to bring a barrel of fuel! Who got the NC Work Center?

Foxforks.

The rear hubs are too big for chassis. I may not be able to use the front hub either since it is too wide for the forks. I really don't want to machine it to fit or alter it in any way.

Like Gomer said, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box so, unless I can find someone lighter and dumber, I will pilot the bike myself.

The electrical system will be similar to the stock system. Just won't be using Lucas parts.

The CNC work center is still for sale. Danny had a beautiful CNC mill and lathe. Actually several lathes. All of his equipment is for sale. If anyone is interested, PM or email me and I can put you in touch with his son-in-law who is liquidating his equipment.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Ol'89r said:
The electrical system will be similar to the stock system. Just won't be using Lucas parts.
In my twisted logic those Joe Hunt magnetos are tops because they cost so dang much. I'm just sayin'

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Do you have to run points also? You are running in a special class? With a bunch of guidelines? That had to be one heck of a job putting the other intake in.

VintageDirt said:
In my twisted logic those Joe Hunt magnitos are tops because they cost so dang much. I'm just sayin'

The ignition we will be running is a very simple system. It will be a Total Loss System. Points or an electronic pick-up system with a dual coil and hot-charged 12 volt battery. Mags are great and I have an ARD mag that we could use but, mags and charging systems drain horsepower. A Total Loss System doesn't use any horsepower to produce spark.

For a bike that only does short runs, like a Bonneville bike or a drag racer, total loss is the best way to go. IMO.

FoxForks. Figuring out what class to run in is the hardest part of this whole deal. There are several different organizations that use the salt flats. They all have different rules for the different classes. They all use Bonneville at different times for their speed trials.

When Danny originally built and ran the bike, the rules were different than they are now. I have no doubt we can break his old record since there are many changes allowed in the engine now, than were allowed back then. The problem is figuring out what class and what organization the bike fits in without having to remake the whole bike.

nachtsheim

Jan 7, 2009
Terry,
I finally found the thread that you told me about. The pictures look good. Looks like your about twice as far along as I am. You've got an all-together engine and a frame w/front end, gas and oil tank. I've got an all-apart engine, wheels and tires, a front end, but no frame yet, no gas tank, and no oil tank.

George

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hi George.

Glad you found the thread.

Fortunately for me, Danny had most of the engine done already. Just needs to be timed, jetted and dyno'ed.

The frame was another story. In the photos, the front end was just hanging on the frame. I had to machine some spacers and re-thread the stem to make it fit. Also had to build a set of clip-on's and fork stops. I now have the front end mounted, the seat is 90% done, the rear sets are 80% done, the engine mounts are made and the engine is in the frame.

Still have to devise the ignition system and build a set of wheels and exhaust pipes. Will probably have to re-make the gas tank that Danny made since it doesn't hold enough fuel according to the rule booK.

I will get Max over here to take and post some more photos.

Hope to have the bike ready to display in the annual Trailblazers MC banquet and bike show on April 4th in the city of Carson California. Then it will be coming back apart to get it ready for Bonneville.

George, you should post some of the photos of your bike. The front end you built is beautiful and I'm sure there are many on this site that would love to see it.

To be continued.

Sponsors: Alloy Graphics, JRC Engineering, Van Leeuwen Enterprises, Superior Office Services, 2twenty9Photography.

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Back in 2000-2003, some pals and I ran our Sportsters at Bonneville. We even managed to bag several records. We also ran at the ECTA meets in North Carolina with some success, winning the motorcycle championship in 2002.

What class are you gunning for?

Ooops. I see you are undecided on that. Most of the sanctioning bodies classes are very similar.

You'll most likely be running in a modified chassis class: M. The bike doesn't appear to fit in the altered chassis class: A. And the production chassis class: P, has VERY strict rules.

No fairing means you won't be in the partial streamline classes: PS.

Next up is your fuel selection. Gas or other?

Finally you have your engine classification. That is based on displacement and whether or not you are using a push rod based valve train.

My guess is you'll be in the modified, gas class: M/G

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Crim.

Congrats on your record. That's very cool.

I'm still trying to figure out what class we will fit in. Most likely it will fit into the modified production, pushrod class. The frame is stock with minor modifications. The engine is a 1957 3TA, 350cc pushrod twin with major modifications. Have jetting for both gas and fuel.

The class that we run is not important since the rules for the classes have changed drastically since Danny originally set the record. The bike no longer fits into the original class when the record was set but the speed record still stands. This is more of a personal endeavor to fulfill Dannys dream of breaking his old speed record. It's the top MPH that matters, not the class record.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ol'89r said:
George, you should post some of the photos of your bike. The front end you built is beautiful and I'm sure there are many on this site that would love to see it.

I'll second that. Pics of your project would be great. :cool:

Top Bottom