proper bike for height , weight ,and ability

OldManIn

Mar 12, 2001
I have to agree w/ Hawaii-Rider. I am 42 and 195lbs. I have the WR250F and find that it is probably the best bike out there for my riding style (woods, trails). It has all the power I need and it is light enough to through it around anywhere all day. Try that with one of the 4xx+ and you are going to be one tired-hurting pup by the end of the day. It is also one of the tallest bikes out there for you vertically unchallenged riders.

------------------
'01 WR250F

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Boy I don't know. One of my riding friends has a 99 Honda XR400R, and another a 2000 KTM400SX, and another with a 2001 VOR 503 Enduro. I also have a VOR. My guess they (VOR's) aren't a lot different than other big bore four strokes. We run a hard 80-90 miles in the Colorado Mountains ( Places like Rampart Range) and don't get beat up. That guy on his Honda is 6ft 3in and tosses his XR around like a rag doll. He's hard to keep up with in the tight stuff but doesn't have the suspension and handling to stick with us in the more open area's and the MX tracks.

The fella with the VOR Enduro is past 60 and isn't very tall. He runs the Rocky Mountain Enduro circuit and DID actually complain about the power on his FIRST ride...now he's lovin the power and changed his mind about going 400 or smaller. He came from a ATK250. He's now the first to recommend a 503 vs a 400 for out here. ( Or other big bore's..his best bud has a KTM520 from last year )

I find that the big bore Four Strokes that run CLEAN on the lower part of the power band are very relaxing to ride at a fast pace as compared to all the 250 and open class two strokes I have owned and raced over the years..and I've had more than a few. Nice easy power and throttle response at any RPM. My racing oriented two strokes were just too explosive for the long trail rides. The first thing I noticed with my first big bore four stroke ( the VOR ) is I DON'T get tired as fast and I don't get arm pump at the track. Go figure. You can't compare a CR500 to an open class four stoke. I've owned and raced both. Different animals.

The guy on the KTM just flat rips...so I never see how tired he is as he's rested and on his second soda before I get back to the truck!

I never rode a yzf250 but I did spend some time on a yzf426 and felt it was probably an awesome play bike for some. (As well as a race bike obviously) It didn't work for me with the stock setup as well as what I bought. Since I could buy what ever I wanted..its a free country, I did. Followed my own advice.

The YZ had a more aggressive power band than the others BUT it ran clean enough off the bottom as well. Its soft suspension, lower seat height, and tighter geometry would probably work good in the woods. I never was on a WR but from the feelings the YZ gave me the WR could only be better for tight stuff.

Those big bores can do anything those 250's can do, but the converse can't be true. For an all around play bike those large four strokes have to be a consideration.

The more I hear and see the more its clear to me that what works for some doesn't mean it will work as well for others. You have to ride a few and make your own choice for what works for you. I can tell you some of what I read here doesn't jive with my experiences and my bet is there are some who feel the same about my postings.

Another thing that DRN does is it lets you hear who's having the trouble cause the questions show up in the postings. So if reliability is an issue...just go to the posts and see who's having the most trouble..

Different strokes for different folks...thats why there are so many brands and sizes out there. Go ride a bunch, sometimes the Hunt is better than the kill...

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 04-20-2001).]

MontanaMemos

Mar 8, 2000
Ride a KDX 200 or 220. You will need to make suspension modifications, but it's a fun bike if you want to stick to 2 strokes.

------------------
1998 KTM 400 RXCe
1986 BMW 535i
1976 Chevy 4X4

Top Bottom