Pull rods or swingarm bolt shoulders???

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
I just lubed my linkage on my 2000 KDX 220R.I read here that you have to make sure the shoulders of the bolts are inside the rods or the green part of the frame that the nut goes into.I don't want buggered parts so which is it,the dog bones or the swingarm bolt I have to get right? Thanks in advance.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It only goes together one way. It should all slip together very easy. Are you having alignment problems?

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
No alignment problems.I know I read it here awhile back that the shoulder of the bolt on either the dog bones or the swingarm bolt must protrude through the hole or you will bugger the parts when you ride.They claim that once you get all that grease in there the bolt doesn't go back in as far as before the lube job.I just can't remember which bolt they were talking about.I did a search but came up empty.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Fuzzy, you've probably seen CC's comments on the bolts holding the side links and dog bone together. The shoulder portion of the bolts is a bit too short (or the relieved portion for the threads is too long). Either way, as you try to install the side plate on the nut side, you'll likely find that there is very little shoulder protruding through for the plate to ride on. Need to make sure that the plate rides on the outer diameter (the shoulder), and not down in relieved area. Otherwise, when you torque the bolts, you'll drive the edge of the shoulder into the side plate, damage it, and of course the the final assembly will not torque up correctly. You won't be able to take out the 'side play'. Bad.

I don't remember any issues with installing the swingarm bolt.

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
23jayhawk,yes that is the answer I was looking for.I just torqued em to 61 ft lbs.I think I lined them up right and my understanding,at least on my bike is only a little of the bolt shoulder was inside the plate.Once I torqued them I guess the rest of it went inside.Man I hope so.I guess If I did it wrong it will make some noise or something before its totally buggered.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I laid on my back, got under the bike, and used a bright light to make sure the dog-bone side plates were seated correctly. They need to be seated tightly against the sides of the bearing seals, not resting on the edge of the bolt shoulder. It's easy to mis-align, but also very easy to do it correctly if you get under the bike and have a good look-see.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Fuzzy Dice
Well now I'm slightly confused since all I ever read was the bolt shoulders need to fit inside the hole.
If the bolt shoulder is completely inside the dog bone plate hole, the plate will be resting against the bearing seal and you will be fine. A picture here is worth 1,000 words - wish I would have taken one the last time I had everything apart.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Fuzzy, Make sure you recheck your torques on the bolts. I did proper torque and they still work loose at times. I have not loctited them and maybe that is all I need to do.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It is indeed the bolt shoulder/dog bone fit as 23jay says.

BTW..the 'side plates' are called 'dog bones' sometimes (due to the shape)..the thing they bolt to is the unitrak. They are more correctly named 'pull rods'. Obviously I'm referring to the removeable knuckle (unitrack) with the 'bolt to' comment..not the swingarm.

You can use something like a c-clamp to squeeze the mess together before you reef on the bolts. As long as you are aware of the issue, assembly isn't a big deal. Just use some caution, that's all.

It is possible to tighten the fasteners to spec against the shoulder edge instead of against the unitrack.

After your next ride, lever the back end off the ground against the kickstand. Lightly touch the tire TO the ground. If there is ANY slop, or 'tic' due to looseness of the unitrack linkage (because of improper assy), you will feel it!

Fuzzy Dice

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Thanks for the Info guys.You helped me avoid an unnecessary expense and complete frustration.You guys are the greatest.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It occurs to me that, some of the riders reading this forum are the type that broke their seat bolts off the first time they cleaned their filter, and have two fasteners holding the front axle clamp on (cuz the other two are broke!)

The c-clamp reference above does NOT mean put a clamp in the middle of the pull rods and squeeze the hell out of 'em. You will end up with a couple of 'u-shaped' rods for sure.

Either use a couple of sockets as spacers over the fastener, or at least use some sense in tightening the thing up if you try the c-clamp idea.

It's not at all rocket science. But then...rocket science has huge hunks-o-crap hitting a foamed piece of insulation and carbon fiber at hundreds of MPH being 'A-OK!'.

Maybe it's much more advanced than rocket science??

Use the brain God gave you when you put it together and you will have no problems at all.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom