saab900aero

Jun 20, 2009
gday guys,

i am currently pulling the motor and gearbox out of my 99 kdx 200 and i have got everything out/disconnected except for the damn pivot/swingarm bolt!! the manual says to undo the 19mm nut which i have done then just punch it out. im up to the punch part and do you think i can punch it out...

any tips very much appreciated

cheers alex

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
soak it with penetrating oil, put the nut back on the bolt until it is flush with the end, drive the bolt back and forth. Do you have an air impact wrench ? if so, tighten and loosen the nut afew times to break the rust. It will come out eventually, just be patiant with it.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I'd say don't beat on the nut end. Just buy a brass drift and heavy hammer to use after the penetrating oil. Lift the swingarm to lessen the force on the swingarm.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
If those tips don't get you there lay the bike on it's side with the nut-end up and allow the penetrating oil to seep downward. Use a good penetrant- Kroil, CorrosionX, or PBFabulous Blaster. WD40 sucks for this.

On it's side is the best way to beat on it as well- support the opposite frame side where the bolt goes in on a piece of 4x4 or something similar.

If all else fails, find a guy with a press.

saab900aero

Jun 20, 2009
thanks fellas i just got it out. with a lot of oil and after mashing my hand on the footpeg a couple of times i punched it out. unfortunately messed the thread a tad but i think its salvageable.

thanks heaps guys

saab900aero

Jun 20, 2009
believe it or not it has no marks or lines on it at all. i was very surprised. just a bit dirty which will come off with a brush. but the thread needs a going over haha.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
To clean the rusty crap out of the sleeves...

Get a 10" piece of coat hanger wire.

Bend 2" back on itself as sharply as possible- it'll look sorta like this:

_____
----------------------------------

Tuck a piece of emory cloth or low-number (~100) sandpaper into the fold.

Chuck it into a drill and spin it. Make sure the abrasive is facing out.

Run that thing thru the sleeves, spinning.

Clean it out good with brakecleen and some papertowel.

When reassembling, antisieze is your pal.

Refresh the antisieze every 18 mos and you'll never have this issue again.

Top Bottom