KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
These were pretty easy to make. What do you guys think they look like, honestly. I have so far had mixed views and am unsure whether to leave them on or go back to polished.

Attachments

• right fork slider sml.jpg
    right fork slider sml.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 202

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I like them!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I have all the tools needed for polishing metal so for me it was easy. Without the tools it can still be done but it will require alot more elbow grease. First off I stripped the forks right down. Using a grinder with a 400 grit abrasive sponge disk / wheel to remove the paint and small scratches. If you have deeper scratches you can use a sandpaper flap disk if your smooth when you sand it. Otherwise you will end up with flat spots that show up bad when they are polished. The best tool for deep scratches or dents is a hand held beltsander / linisher(sp)?. Once all the scratches / dents are smooth and the paint is ALL gone you then give it a very light sand with about a 600 grit sponge disk or a very, very light hit with the 400 disk again. When the forks have a dull finish with no dents or scratches you can now start to polish. I use wool wheels on the grinder for this. You will also need the different polishing rouges (cutting compounds). The black one all the time and the green rouge for the final polish. You could get away with only using the black one. My forks and swingarm were literally a mirror finish but as I said I have all the tools and took my time doing it. Most importantly, when you are finished polishing you must use mineral spirits or similar to clean all the rouge off and I mean clean it good. Even though it looks chrome there is still a wax type coating on it. Now find the toughest / best clear coat enamel you can find and spray them with a good 3 coats. I got mine sprayed with a clear coat used in aircraft type applications. They have held up very well. The wool wheels are like compressed cotton wool I don't know if they have a name other than wool polishing wheels but if you go to a metal supplier type outlet they should have them. If I have missed anything or you need more info let me know. Just be prepared to redo them after you stack and scratch them all up. That is why Im trying to get some feedback on my "DODGY" fork covers. Or you could leave them unpainted (clear coat) and give them a quick polish by hand with Autosol or Mothers aluminium polish when you clean your bike after riding. OK I hear ya, I'll shut up now. :nener:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Sweet as. You would be best served with a dremel aswell to get into all the nooks and crannys. Otherwise its a bit of skinned knuckles and elbow grease to acheive the same goal. I have polished what I would call the sides of the swingarm and where the top (where brake line runs) and underneath I have painted it shiny silver. When the swingarm comes off for greasing its in for a full port and polish. lol. I should have pics up tomorrow.

Top Bottom