question about suzuki dual and non dual chamber forks

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
Ive ran into some trouble while replacing the seals on my 94 rm 125. in 92-93 Suzuki used dual chamber forks which I believe are the forks where you have to pull the damper rod in and out in order to bleed them..from 94-95 Suzuki switched to a fork that im not sure of the name, but it is all one piece inside. With dual chambers in order to get the right oil level you colapse the fork completely and bleed the damper fill again and suck out the 100 or so mm. On my set of forks I have no Idea how to set the oil level. I changed the seals, but I dont know how to set the oil height. Suzuki says I need a cylinder holder which holds the inner fork cylinder at a certain distance from the outer fork tube. if anyone can tell me how high the outer fork tube needs to be raised from the fully collapsed position to get the right height for filling/checking oil levels or If anyone has an easier way and can tell me how to check the oil level on these forks I would greatly appreciate it. thanks again..dirt rider has been my saving grace in the past!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
shift im really sorry-it sounds like you have the kybs forks fitted, or mabe a different showa than the twin chamber, i cant help you more as i dont know which model you have.

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
i think i made a mistake..I just looked up my model year and it said the 94-95 year was the year they started using showa twin chamber..I just wish there was a picture of this forks internals so I could be sure. because whenever I read threads about how to change the oil in these forks it doesnt sound like my forks because the damping rod is attatched to the fork cap...

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
my manual or part number doesnt say its a kayaba.but it doesnt have the little hole in the lower fork tube like showas do..but everything ive looked up on the net says its a showa twin chamber..ill try to explain what it looks like the best I can..you undo the top cap and it sticks out of the fork tube but you cant see the spring yet...I then have to undo the bottom damping bolt..once this is undone i still cant take the assemble out of the tube..I have to push down on the upper fork cap which pushes the bottom damping rod out of the bottom a little..I wedge a 12mm wrench in it to hold it against the pressure..you can then unscrew the damping bolt off of the damping rod..once that bottom bolt is off the entire assembly can be removed from the fork tubes..spring and all...the inner assemble looks kind of like a mini fork with a teflon washer around it..there is an upper tube where a chrome damper slides in and out of it...when you push in on this little chrome rod it pushes back without a spring or anything in it...so anyways then you preceed to remove the outer tubes to replace the seals which is just like replacing the seals of any other fork..after I did that you have to put everything back together just like you took it off with the spring installed and the entire damper rod assembly inside the only other thing would be to screw the fork cap back on, but before this you have to some how mesure the right oil to put in it...ive been searching around everywhere trying to find a picture or anything about these forks..cant stand not riding as my forks are just sitting in my garage off of my bike..=(

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
It is the twin-chamber. You NEED to find someone that has experience with these or at least get a Clymer manual that has pictures to follow.

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
KTM-Lew said:
It is the twin-chamber. You NEED to find someone that has experience with these or at least get a Clymer manual that has pictures to follow.

I do have a suzuki manual that walks you through the procedure, but doesnt mention anything about filling the inner chamber..it just says to use a fork cylinder holder and measure/fill the oil while it is in the holder....

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
First you have to fill the inner chamber and bleed it if you have lost any fluid out of it. It sounds like you haven't had the inner-chamber opened. If not then once you have the forks all together but screwing the top cap in the tube put in the oil for the outer-chamber/air-chamber. Your manual should have a table that gives you the amount of oil that goes in the outer-chamber. Should be listed in cc's and oz's.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think you found it before-350cc, it would be a good place to start from as its easier to add oil later.If you havnt taken the inner chamber apart, you just refit it ,then add the desired oil amount and bolt it together.

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
finally some light at the end of the tunnel...you guys are awsome thanks for the info so far...so given the info youve provided I have some more questions..why would anyone take apart the inner chamber if the outer fluid doesnt mix with the inner fluid it seems like your just makingmore work for yourself..that just seems like a ton of work..I didnt take apart the inner chamber and this must be the reason my chrome damping rod shoots back out without a spring..also im using 5w maxima fork fluid..I bought my bike used a few years ago so obviously the inner tube was probably filled up with something different..do I need to match the inner fluid with my new fluid? and finally..when I added the recommended 15.4 oz and I screwed everything back together and I just played around with the fork compressing it a little..you got a sloshing sound..so I added more fluid...no sound but you can still hear the fluid sloshing around in it when i turn the forks upside down as it runs down inside the tube..do either of these signs mean anything..should I take the fluid back out and go back to the recommended fluid?..thanks again you guys ...your life savers

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
I would start with the rec amount and wouldn't pay any attention to the sloshing noises. Forks tend to make all kinds of wierd noises when off the bikes. Kinda like shifting a newly assembled transmission on the bench......they never feel right either. DOH!

shiftmx731

Oct 10, 2003
I just wanted to say thanks to dirtrider.net and everyone who contributes to this site..I know that answering dumb questions over and over again can get tedious and exhaustive, but I and I think everyone else really appreciates all the hard work everyone puts into this site. Its people and organizations like this that are going to keep our sport alive and prosperous. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom