Questions about kdx220

AJean

Nov 12, 2004
Hello.
Could anyone could answer to my questions? I didn't found this info on the net.
I was wondering what is the HP and the torque and what is the top speed of a stock 2003 kdx220? And if I put a 110/100-18 rear tire instead of the original 100/100, is it a good idea and will there be negative effects.

Aflica

May 23, 2004
Hey there , i tried the 110/100 and really didn't like it and went back to the 100/100 tire. I found than when i wanted a little bit of wheel slip , it would grab instead , and made the bike a little less predictable. Like when in too high a gear , slipping the clutch for an instant wouldn't pop it into the power band , it would just grab and lug. And this was troublesome a time or two. But this is just my own personal preference for the way i ride and where i ride , try it out for your next tire , you may like it. After all its just a disposable tire as they never seem to last long on a KDX !!!
BTW , where the heck is Rikibeach ?

AJean

Nov 12, 2004
Thank you Aflica. I think the best way to know if I like it or not is to try it, so it's what I will do next summer.

lol Rikibeach is in fact Rimouski, in the province of Quebec.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I am not a racer and I do not like wheel spin so I may not be a fair replier. I like the oversize rear tires. Traction is what I want and a bigger tire put more rubber on the ground to pull better and also it does not go as deep in the mud! I think you will really like the larger rear for general use. Cheers John

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I'm with John on this one.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Me too. I went with a 120/100 with no ill results. It'll still predictably slide under full control whenever I want it to. Some of this may have to do with getting the maximum power out of the bike through the usual modifications and proper jetting.

Dockillemall

Sep 10, 2004
The more narrow tire will dig down through the mud and find solid surfice. On slick clay and roots you will have more pressure per nobs to make them bite. The wide tire will float, which you would need for riding on soft sand. Also tire manufactures size their tires differently

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999

.That’s true as long as the mud is shallower then your tire :)

AJean

Nov 12, 2004
Dockillemall said:
Also tire manufactures size their tires differently

So a Michelin s12 130/80-18 is the equivalent of a Dunlop 110/100-18?

Dockillemall

Sep 10, 2004
Yes thats the profile ratio. Also some measure from out side the nobs and others measure the case. A Dunlop 100/100 would equal a Pirelli 110/100.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…