irhxcbcziuzxs

Aug 26, 2007
my 2000 kdx 220 got delivered...but gas has been sitting in the bike for a year so its running a little rough......... its been 10 years since i had a bike so.....

1. how do i drain the gas
2. what is a good oil to mix the gas with and a good ratio
3. what else should i take care of , look for.

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
To drain the fuel you can either take off the fuel tank and just dump out the gas or pull the line off and turn the pitcock to the RES position and drain the gas out that way.
It wouldn't hurt to put some fresh fuel in and slosh it around and then drain that out.

The carburetor is more than likely gummed up as well. So you will need to take the float bowl off and clean it and the jets and passages inside.

Things you will probably need to do the job.

#2 phillips screwdriver to get the floatbowl off
Small flatblade screwdriver for the piolet jet
6mm socket for the mainjet
can of carburetor cleaner to spray out the passages

As far as what kind of premix and ratio to run you can ask 100 people and get 100 different opinions. I have had good luck with yamalube 2-R at 40:1. It works, runs well, burns clean and the bike has not died on it. Is it the best?

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
Could be the reeds are frayed. Keep in mind that they flutter around 200times/sec. That adds up over the years. You didn't happen to notice what #'s were on the jets when you had them out? It could be as simple as needing a rejet for your location. Just because it runs well in one area doesn't mean it will in another. The same with summer and winter

I know the 220 has a smaller carb than the 200. I change from a 45pilot and a 158main in the summer to a 48pilot and a 160main in the winter for my 200. Not much of a change but it is the difference from a good running bike to a not so well behaved machine.

There is tons of jetting stuff on here just do a search. It is sorta try and see type of thing but I'm sure there is something that will get you close.

If all of this doesn't work then you might start looking a electrical problem.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom