Gibbo

Jul 2, 2012
Hi guys,

Ok my bike is all back together and runs lovely, pulls really hard and theres a noticable squirt of power when the KIPS opens up...

the trouble i'm having now is when I'm cruising along, say at 60/70 mph the bike seems to hesitate a little then pick up then hesitate a little and so on...

It's not like its kangaroo'ing or anything it just seems to be hard to get it to cruise smoothly....

any help ?

DBragg

Oct 31, 2005
Gibbo said:
Hi guys,

Ok my bike is all back together and runs lovely, pulls really hard and theres a noticable squirt of power when the KIPS opens up...

the trouble i'm having now is when I'm cruising along, say at 60/70 mph the bike seems to hesitate a little then pick up then hesitate a little and so on...

It's not like its kangaroo'ing or anything it just seems to be hard to get it to cruise smoothly....

any help ?

Could be an air leak, but that would surge throughout the RPM range. How far is the throttle opened at said speed? Index your throttle to measure it... Its tough to gauge throttle openings without physical markings. I would guess at "cruise" speeds of 60 to 70 mph you are on the upper portion of the needle, and would require a clip position adjustment or a main jet change.

You need to verify that there is nothing mechanically wrong with the bike before you start jetting... Otherwise you are just chasing your tail.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What gearing are you running to be cruising at 60 to 70 mph?

My old dual sported KDX200 and 250 sure did not like to cruise at 60+ mph, even with an extra tooth on the countershaft.

Cruising is a bit of a pain with a powervalve two stroke. This was espcially noticeable on my KDX250. At cruising rpm, the powervalve 'hunts' between open and closed. So at steady throttle, the bike would want to speed up when the powervalve would open. Then it would slow down when you did not give it more gas. Jetting (much leaner than stock) was fine on the bike. You never notice it on the trail as you are not holding steady rpm and speeds.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom