Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
Well - I got to 8 months in Sept of 06... and decided to move to Tejas, and somehow that equated to smoking again. We live in Texas now - so I decided to quit again. Quit this time because of this nasty cold/flu thats going around here in Dallas. Its been 5 days now - but no congrats yet... its only because I cant stop coughing. The nicotine is out of my system now, and the stuff is probably out of my lungs by now - so once I feel better - this could get really hard. Thought I would tell everyone, so I would have back up... Quitting sucks... but I remember how good I felt afterward! Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I still puff on a cigar now and then, just relaxing and enjoying the moment. It's kind of a soothing thing, yet not the nicotine high, as I don't inhale the smoke. Probably a cop out, but it keeps me from smoking the cigs :)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Crispy said:
Quitting sucks... but I remember how good I felt afterward! Keep your fingers crossed for me...

Quitting is tough, but it gets easier every day. Best thing ( I felt this worked for me) was to change my schedule. Sounds funny but I used to go to work earlier just so I could smoke with my friends. 4:15am I would be sitting outside puffin away.

Hang in there :cool:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Rooster said:
I still puff on a cigar now and then, just relaxing and enjoying the moment. It's kind of a soothing thing, yet not the nicotine high, as I don't inhale the smoke. :)

Whatever Bill Clinton. LOL

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
You can do it Crispy! It's very, very difficult...but once you get past the first few days or so, you can definitely keep going!

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
:yeehaw: I almost forgot to post this. March 29th was 3 yrs. :yeehaw:

Thanks DRN!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Awesome!!!!

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Kick a$$ Greenie!!! :cool:
It is a great feeling to be counting years.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
Great job Green Horn.

I quit 4 years ago. Had been smoking cigarettes and a bunch of other illegal stuff for about 20years. That was the toughest time of my life but have to say that life is much better today!

I was so deep it took divine intervention to get me off that cr@p. All of it.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Had a health scare last week. So Im 5 days in with one minor slip yesterday. I felt disgusted after so I dont think it will happen again. Its odd going to bed without the last smoke and then not coughing when I get to the top of the stairs.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hang in the JW, like I have said before, it gets easier w/time.

How's everybody else doing?

Another few weeks (4th of July) it will be 6 years :ohmy: :)

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
JW - HANG IN THERE!!! I am almost at 8 weeks. This is my 3rd time quitting, and as they say - 3rd times the charm. I understand the health scare part too - after watching my mom with respiratory failure and on a breathing machine for several weeks, I knew it was time to put em way for good. Mom is now almost at 3 months, and I am almost at 2! There are days when I just "want" one, but then think back to the days and weeks of praying for mom to survive, and the "want" turns into "HELL NO".

Keep us informed on how you are doing. Everyone in here cares and will help you whenever you need it!

Last edited:

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I'm trying again to quit. Made it a year last time. But I started sneak smoking again and am up to almost a pack a day again. Back on the Chantix. Last time a quit, whenever I was having a really bad time, I'd picture a potted tobacco plant with a chain around my ankle. I hated that plant!!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'm 10 years out from quitting cold turkey. The first 5 years were the hardest by far.. I don't really have any desire to smoke now, and when I'm around people who are smoking, it mostly just disgusts me.

Keep trying, you guys can do it..

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Next Thursday will mark 8 years smoke free for me.

Lets do the math.
I quit when cigs were 3.00 a pack.
At 2 packs a day that's a 42$ a week habit.
multiply by 52 and you get 2,184$
multiply that by 8 and you get ........................17,472$
Add in a dollar a pack increase every two years:

for years 3 and 4...............................................728$
for years 5 and 6..............................................1456$
and for years 7 and 8........................................2184$
for a grand total addition of................................4368$
Add that to the original sub total........................17472$
and you get..................................................21,840$

not spent on smoking over the last 8 years.

You guys all keep at it. It's worth it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Hmmm.. I quit right before they got to be $3.00 a pack. I was living in South Florida at the time, then everything there was more expensive than it was in the north.

I didn't quit due to the cost though. It no longer made sense to me in a logical way.

I mean think about what you are doing. You're setting a leaf filled tube of paper on fire, then sucking on it.. But, since you are too much of a pansy to really commit to it, you suck on one that has a nice fiberglass end on it.

No real potential for harm there... ;)

I really and truly believe that my smoking for almost 20 years was a direct contributor to me now having cancer. No doubt in my mind.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I hope to get as far you guys/girls.

Im also on Chantix. Whether its mental or an actual help I dont really care. It seems to be working. I do seem to be a little short fused though....and sleepless...and hungry....and antsy....Hopefully it passes soon.

Besides living longer Im also hoping to treat myself to a new bike with the savings.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
One more thing. Right after I quit the random coughing stopped. At about 5 days in I started coughing again. I'm guessing its my lungs trying to self clean. Is this normal?

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
2strokerfun said:
Made it a year last time. !!

This scares me more than anything. I hear all these stories about people quitting for years and years and suddenly start again. Damn these cigs

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
What do you guys do when you want a cig?

I have been sitting here cruising the net for the last hour trying to avoid the old habits. I have been on a sunflower seed diet for the last week and I think its starting to jack me up. :whoa: :uh:

Any other snack ideas? ...no carrot or celery please

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Hard candy, gum and double cheese burgers have become good friends of mine.
Also, check QuitNet they have a program that will send you your stats monthly on the anniversary of your quit date, below is mine. I've found it to be a good ego boost at times.

My Quit

My Stats:
Your Quit Date is: 1/4/2005 10:00:00 AM
Time Smoke-Free: 1249 days, 13 hours, 25 minutes and 12 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 62478
Lifetime Saved: 15 months, 27 days, 6 hours
Money Saved: $5,308.25

My Med Plan:
Nicotine Patch

Top Bottom