EYY

May 22, 2010
Hi guys,

Does anybody know if there's anywhere to purchase these needles online? Apparrently they've been discontinued by Kawasaki. :(
Is there a Keihin part number for this needle that anybody knows of?

Thanks again.

EYY

May 22, 2010
Thanks for the info. Are you able to give me a recommendation on which needle(s) I Should be looking out for?

My bike's a 93 200 with the airbox lid removed, expansion chamber gutted and boyesen dual stage reeds. I'm just trying to find the right jetting and settings for the carb. Right now I'm at a 50 pilot and 150 main. I'm going up to a 155 though as it seems just a tad lean according to the colour of the plug after doing a run at full throttle.. Runs really well as it is though, but the thought of running lean scares me.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The color of the plug is not that relevant unless you are doing proper plug chops for WOT.

Anyway, for the E series bikes (89-94) Keihin CGK or DGK is the way to go. The CGK offers a nice snap up top. The DGK is smooth all the way through. DGK may seem boring at first, but on a long trail ride it really helps you keep the bike under control and keeps you from getting worn out. Either one will give you better throttle response than the stock needle.

I would get both, and try both. If your jetting is lean now, it will be close with the CGK/DGK. They are quite a bit richer than the stock needle. You'll probably end up dropping that pilot down to 42/45 though. 150 sounds about right on the main for those needles, but yes, it could be a bit lean on the stock needle.

EYY

May 22, 2010
I actually did a plug chop at WOT, with a new plug and everything. So i'm certain it's running lean.

The bike runs best with the mixture screw about 2.5 turns out so that's my reasoning for still needing to go slightly larger on the pilot. I should probably get the needle and main sorted first though.

I wouldn't have any idea on where I'd be able to order those needles in Australia though, can you point me in the right direction? :)

Very appreciative of your help.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I dunno about over in aus. I order most my jets from jetsrus. I'm pretty sure they'll ship to you. I think that main will be about spot on with the DGK/CGK needles. I doubt you need to go up on that pilot. Run the air screw all the way in, then run it out slowly until you get to the spot where the idle stops increasing. If that spot is more than about 2 turns, you need to go up on the pilot. Note that the fastest idle is not where you should leave it, it's just a test to guage where you are on the pilot. I can't imagine needing larger than a 50. The stock 48 pilot is usually pig rich. The 150 main is probably a bit lean with your current setup. 155 should be close for now, but hang onto the 150, it will work better with the needles I mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom