Rad Guards?

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
anybody know who has the devol (or similar) radiator guards in stock right now? everyone i have checked is out of stock.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
Just wrap some gutter guard around the plastic louvers. It keep the sticks out and only costs about 50 cents!!! Looks kool too!!!

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
sounds like a good idea for brush but i am looking for impact protection from crashes. are these guards a must have? if so, i will get them.

Aflica

May 23, 2004
I have them....and after some good winter riding , i also still have unbent and unpoked rads.....so IMHO there worth it.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
I just bought a set from Lytle Racing Group for $69.95. 1-877-431-8100. Cheap shipping and received them in about 3 days.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Have buddies who have experienced over-heating issues with the front guards (like Devol). They lack "scoops" and don't draw as much air. Works Connection rear guard/supports are what I've run, they're strong, and been good to me. About $60.

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
Hey, 2strokes 4ever,
I have heared the same complaint with the devol guards. The solution, I hear, is to use the guards under the stock louvers or "scoops". Some guys I know have done this and have not complained about overheating.
Dave

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
just wanted to let everyone know that i did get the devols. bto was the only place that had them in stock. i installed them on monday and was not very impressed with the fit and finish at all. the instructions that came with them said that i had to cut the webbing from the inside of the rad shrouds (this was the easy part). when i went to install them i found that i had to trim quite a bit of material off the guards where the outer flanges on the rads slide through. i also had to completely reshape the holes in the guards (both guards)where the lower rad shroud and and shroud bolts pass through the guards and mount to the rads. after i got all the clearances that i wanted i realized that the bolt holes did not line up. this was a fairly easy fix since the guards are not that thick and the aluminum is not too rigid, i just flexed the guards a little until the holes lined up. when they were mounted i still noticed that they set slightly crooked in relationship with the rads. they also make contact with both rads near the upper outer corners of the rads. by the way only the left guard offers any rear support and it is marginal at best. the bracket is sort of a z shape and wraps around the rad instead of going straight back to the frame. when the guards are moved the rads move with them. i guess that devol must of thought that the overflow tank would have been in the way so they did not include any reinforcing bracket for the right side so there will not be much protection in a frontal impact. i am sure that the guards will give more protection than not having them but i was just a little disappointed because i figured the fit and finish would have been much better and i figured that both sides would offer front impact protection. i will give another review after i get a chance to ride the bike to see if any of the overheating issues that others have posted arise. however, these are the newer versions that have the larger slots in them.

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
I just got a set of the Devols from D. Kirk. Mine fit great and the only mod I had to make (other than trimming the inside of the shrouds) was to zip tie the louvers back in place...the outer mounting posts wouldn't snap back into the mounting holes.

The instructions with mine didn't say anything about where the included "L" shaped bracket goes...any help?? I'm guessing it's a brace, but where's it go?

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
kwb377 the L or Z shaped bracket fits on the back side of the left rad,there should be 2 short slot head screws with the hardware kit,these thread into the side of the rad guard and I believe the other end mounts at a rear rad mount if I remember right,I made up a rear brace for the other side also out of a piece of 1/8" x 1 1/8" flat aluminium stock I had at work,not really sure why Devol does not include one,fits just as well as the one included..

Tom Cox

May 16, 2003
Braces aren't just for teeth.

From your description about still flexing it sounds like you want to install the radiator braces that are available also. I have both the braces and guards installed. See if you have over heating problems after installing both. The combination will protect your radiators but also restrict air flow.

cat

May 3, 2005
How come one guy's Devol radiator guards fit ok and the other guy's don't? Is there a difference between the radiator mounts on the 2005 KDX200 and the 2004 KDX220 ?

These products aren't inexpensive, but none of them seem to do a good enough job. There is a guy making ones that really work, according to some guys on the forum - I think it was thumpertalk, but I started searching for it here, after trying to find it in my IE History list.

If people have overheating problems in slow 'technical' situations, then guards like the Devol ones are likely to make it worse. WR250F's here puke coolant in slow going. It seems like we need fans. I saw a fan kit on a Yamaha website ... but I didn't think it was likely to be a problem with a 2-stroke.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…