kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
It's time to protect the rads on my 03 KDX200. From a quick search it looks like Devol is what most people are using. Is anyone running the MSR guard/louver combo or the Works Connection braces? Zip-Tie racing sells a minimalist brace for YZs that I like, has anyone seen them for other makes?

My left rad has been slightly redesigned by a rock, but still cools and doesn't leak. I picked up a 89-94 left on ebay which appears to be the same except it doesn't have a plug at the bottom (drain plug?). Has anyone tried this?

TIA,
b out

shoenber

Jun 25, 2003
I recently ordered radiator guards for my new to me 2001 KDX220.
The guy at motosport suggested Works Connection over Devol. He said he has owned both. The Devol was almost $20 more than Works Connection.
He said Devol is good protection against the radiator from being skewered but does little for side impact. The Works Connection goes to your frame, not the radiator.

David

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I have Works Connection. I crashed hard and bent them up. The crash would have ripped the radiator off the bike if not for the guard. I recommend this mod to anyone.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
As shoenber says, the works units are rad braces not guards, the devol units are guards not braces.

My money went to braces. Fact is that damage is more likely to occur from an impact that bends the rad than one that sticks something thru it.

Both my rads were bent pretty good within the first month or so...before I put the works units on, unfortunately. The braces still fit...at bit of go..but they're on.

I vote for the works braces over the devol guards.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Thanks for the input. Yes, front and side impact bracing is really what I'm looking for. And the Works Connection braces look like they won't impede any air flow. The picture I saw in the White Brothers catalog show's a set for a YZ, but I'm assuming the KDX ones are similar. Do you have to lose the coolant overflow to mount them?

Thanks again,
b out

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
For radiator protection, I would go with the recommended Works Connection braces. If you break your plastic radiator louvers, then I would go with the ones from MSR. At about $45.00 retail, for the guards and louvers, they are a pretty good value. Nothing is a guarantee, but using the braces and guards are the best that you can do for protection.

Gary

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I have devols on my 93 KDX and they took a wallop from the side and didn't hold up very well. In fact, they didn't hold up at all :( I've got braces now. They work well. I'm still pulling tree bark out of my back yet the bike is all good.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Nice photo RJ-KDX. I think Kawasaki designed these mounts to bend as easy as they do to prevent the radiator from being damaged. I have bent mine several times and straightened them back using a 2x4 and a mallot. Besides a little paint missing, they keep coming back for more without snapping off. Happy Trails!

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
My radiator is accordion shaped as well. My works Connection brace took some time to straighten out after my crash. I didn't even realize it until after I got back home and couldn't figure out why my shroud was bowed out. I thought it warped from engine heat but after taking the shroud off, I could see what happened. This was deep in a canyon on a very steep and technical side hill type trail many miles from the truck. My handlebars clipped a tree on the uphill side of the trail causing the rear wheel to kick out over the edge of the single track and start a slide down the side of the canyon. The radiator caught on a rock and halted the slide. If not for the help of friends, I could not have gotten the bike back up onto the trail.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
That's a bent rad? Ha! Mine should be so 'bent'!! Both of 'em!!

I promise you...they can get one heckuva more bent than that...and still work just fine.

Well, there is this hissing, boiling, bubbling sound from time to time with green goo blowing all over the place.................;)

TTBELEC2

Nov 5, 2002
I put devols on mine then fabracated brace out of flat alum. stock and mounted
straight to the gards. The radiator still float on bushings and guards take beating. then added MSR louvers to keep air even across rad. due to some over heating after stock louvers were removed. They've taken several hard hits over the last 1000 miles and still look straight.

Top Bottom