jrswerkz

Sep 30, 2006
My son has a 05 crf 88cc (50cc) and when clutch is pulled in it rattles but seems to work fine and shifts in all 4 gears.Can it be the clutch bearing or maybe warped clutch discs?Please help rattling is driving me crazy and i dont want to spend $$$ if it blows up! :coocoo:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You might want to clarify exactly what bike you are talking about as I can imagine 3 possiblities.
-A CRF80 as the title says.
-A CRF50 with 88cc big bore kit (05 crf 88cc) with manual clutch kit.
-A CRF50 stock (50cc) with a manual clutch kit.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Since it appears it's a CRF50 chassis with an aftermarket big bore and manual clutch kit I would suggest pulling the side cover to explore what might be the issue. I believe there are a couple of different methods to achieve manual clutch operation on the CRF50 chassis so do you know what manufacturer provided the conversion?

jrswerkz

Sep 30, 2006
No i sure dont as the bike was bought used about a month ago.It only rattles when i shift from neutral to 1st then when riding i dont here anything.It only feels grabby when i let go of 1st gear and jerks the **** out of me.When i do open the clutch plate side what should i look for?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well first how comfortable are you doing mechanical type work? Do you have the tools? If no find somebody that is/does. If yes them drail the oil, pull the cover and look for any pieces that are broken or loose. If nothing is obviously wrong then I would suggest pulling the clutch assembly apart and looking at the plates and fingers on the basket. You will also need to measure the spring height since you have them out to check if they are within spec. then report back.

jrswerkz

Sep 30, 2006
Will do and also what is the best oil you would use as this is my first change on this bike(4-stroke) so the clutch wont feel grabby?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Oh that's a question that will have about 1.635 billion possible answers. I would use something that is easily available to you. In my minis I use a good quality diesel oil such as Delo 15w-40 as it supports contamination well and still gives good lubrication to the rest of the engine but there are plenty of other opinions as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom