Sincerely,

jmd

:rotfl:

pace

Nov 21, 2003
From RacerX:

http://www.racerxill.com/articles/detail/485/5-minutes-with-.aspx

Whitelock said:
"Everyone should have paid attention when we got Chad Reed, but everybody let it get explained away, that they put the fuel into a can that had had lead in it in the past or something. It’s not that; it’s a problem. I guarantee you, if I go over to DeCoster’s truck and get the fuel from two weeks ago, it’s still wrong. It’s not the gas tank, it’s not anything; straight out of the barrel, it’s wrong.”

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
Steve seems to be very much blaming VP Fuels for this in that RacerX interview, I wonder who else was running VP fuel out there and from the same batch?

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
If they really believe that it was a VP Fuels problem, it makes no sense to dock the rider 25 points. It can't even really be called cheating if it gives no advantage. Here, the AMA all but admits there was no intent to cheat, no advantage to cheating, and in fact it was probably somebody else's fault. Then why penalize the rider? AMA, find a way out of this.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
JMD said:
AMA, find a way out of this.

do it quick so i can book tickets to Vegas and Detroit

MrMXer327

Back in the saddle and having a blast !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
I could see Ricky sitting out the rest of the season. Ricky is a different breed than the rest of us - he is out there to win championships.... period. His contract is built around winning championships and if it looks like that is not a possibility.... Why shouldn't he begin to prepare for winning the outdoor title? He held up his end of the deal... he put Suzuki in the title hunt, but a broken bike and a bogus rule (both of which were out of his control) sure has cast a grey cloud over what could have been. Take away the broken bike and bogus rule... Looks like Ricky could have had quite a cushion built up. I don't think Ricky will hang it up though, just because he still has an outside shot at the title.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I doubt Suzuki will go for him sitting out the rest of the season, unless he was injured.. All the top riders sitting out a race, yeah right :rotfl:

Riders Union Hmmmm

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Fact is that the AMA has ruined this series. Even if they were to remove the 25 point penalty at this point they would still have a tainted series because no one will be able to take the points seriously at this point either way. The damage is done. I would like to see Ricky just race to win as many of the races he can and close the points on the ultimate series Champion by less than 25 points so that everyone will know that had he not been ripped off by a bogus rule he would be the champ. Make it bitter sweet for whoever wins it. I know if I was one of the other top guys I wouldnt want to win the series like this because no matter what everyone will say if Ricky didnt lose the 25 points things would be different. It ruins the series for not just the fans but the racers as well.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
You know what really sucks? I haven't followed SX this closely (watching, taping and or attending EVERY RACE to date) for MANY MANY years. My excitement for this year just went down the toilet. I just spoke to my buddy today, 1st thing he says (without me even saying a word) is "this is a JOKE, I am not renewing my membership". Interesting that soooo many people are pissed.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Fact is that the AMA has ruined this series

AMA didn't set the standard or the rule or the penalty, the FIM did, like I said, I can hack on the AMA for a 100 things, but this ain't one

I am not renewing my membership"

if you race sanctioned events you don't have a choice, if your membership was for anything else, it's a waste of money, spend it on local access groups that will fight for your right to ride

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
rodH said:
You know what really sucks? I haven't followed SX this closely (watching, taping and or attending EVERY RACE to date) for MANY MANY years. My excitement for this year just went down the toilet. I just spoke to my buddy today, 1st thing he says (without me even saying a word) is "this is a JOKE, I am not renewing my membership". Interesting that soooo many people are pissed.
Ditto, I'm still glad I'm tuning in though. I emailed the AMA and told them that they have ruined the season and that I would not be attending the final round due to this ruling.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
MrMXer327 said:
He held up his end of the deal... he put Suzuki in the title hunt, but a broken bike and a bogus rule (both of which were out of his control) sure has cast a grey cloud over what could have been.
Its back! The Suzuki Curse! :yikes:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
It was mentioned to Whitelock that Roger DeCoster, the Makita Suzuki team manager, had gone out of his way to make sure everyone knew that Ricky Carmichael was no cheater. Whitelock responded, “I fully understand that, and I fully agree with that, and any inkling in the back of my mind that Yamaha and Chad Reed and David Vuillemin and Tyson Hadsell were cheaters has totally and absolutely been erased, and any inkling that in the back of my mind about Michael Byrne and Kawasaki and James Stewart has been totally erased. I feel the fault belongs somewhere else.”

But yet? The penalty stands.........what a dumb :bang: ................it was his idea and his alone that came up with this 25 point penalty.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
I said it before, we need to set the standards in sanctioning events in the U.S. NOT try to COPY FIM standards, classes or any of it. IF they want to copy us fine, but wouldn't the AMA who brags consistantly to be the largest sanctioning body in the world, shouldn't AMA QUIT following others and set the example? THIS little deal is a perfect example, AMA PRO dept knows full well this rule isn't working well, so FIX IT. Stop the political crap between sanctioning bodys on rules and such, lets get the rules workable and fair, and try to add in some common sense?

not allowing common unleaded gasoline which everyone else uses seems to be lacking in common sense. lets face it sure the RC's of the world will have the connections for the race fuel, but that 80th position rookie trying to qualify may have to buy 5 gal's of reg unleaded at the corner station to race. Seems to me that rider would be checked they would be much more likely to be in "non" compliance?

Lets not forget they didn't check everyone that raced that main, and if they are going to do this crap, they should have to check EVERYONE, EVERY race, that is the only FAIR way to institute rules evenly.

This is just so "typical" :bang:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
wardy said:
I said it before, we need to set the standards in sanctioning events in the U.S. NOT try to COPY FIM standards, classes or any of it. IF they want to copy us fine, but wouldn't the AMA who brags consistantly to be the largest sanctioning body in the world, shouldn't AMA QUIT following others and set the example? :

Yep I agree! The AMA took the easy way out, more time to get Whitelock down to his cheeseburger stand. ;) They should have copied their class names not their fuel spec.

Yeah the class names?, thats a whole nother big mess.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
MrMXer327 said:
I could see Ricky sitting out the rest of the season. Ricky is a different breed than the rest of us - he is out there to win championships.... period. His contract is built around winning championships and if it looks like that is not a possibility....
Wow, do you really think a champion in any sport should do any of the things you're describing? RC has hinted to doing something stupid like quitting, but he's not a quitter.

And who said that the season is over??? Wasn't the GOAT the underdog last year? Wasn't he supposed to hand over the torch to Bubba already? Wasn't he supposed to be slower after knee surgery? Wasn't he not supposed to be able to get ANOTHER perfect season?

You guys make me laugh. It's almost time for the whaambulance again, because I'm 100% CERTAIN that NOTHING else could possibly shake up the title chase... I mean, it's not like these guys are jumping dirtbikes 80 feet and blitzing whoops and taking first turns at 30 mph with 20 other dirtbikes in that same narrow turn. And it's not like dirtbikes EVER have mechanical failures either. All of the excitement in sports lies in Golf, doesn't it?

Ryan

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Who really gives a crap what's in the gas tank on an open bike anyway? Especially in SX. Roger D. states that the open bikes (450's) make way too much horsepower for even the strongest of SX racers. It's closed competition dirt bike racing and as such I don't care if they belch nitrous. If you can hold on - go for it. If you want to control something - stick with the noise issue please.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I think it's wrong to blame the FIM for this one. Sure, it's their rule, and it's a stupid, meaningless rule. But it's up to the AMA to decide how it will implement it, enforce it, and handle appeals. The AMA could easily take a common-sense approach, accept RC's appeal, rule that this situation is different because: 1) It will have an inordinate effect on the title race, whereas other instances had no such effect; 2) The suspicion of cheating is now completely eradicated, and it appears to be a problem with the fule supplier, so there is no FAULT on the part of the riders or their teams. These circumstances alone would justify different treatment. And heck, why couldn't they just do away with all the penalties and adjust the points, from 2004 and 2005 as well. No real effect on anybody. Chad was way ahead in 2004 and Bubba was way behind. Vuillemin? Well, I'm not sure how he'd be affected. But since they've determined it's not the riders' fault, nor the teams' fault, why not clear the whole mess off the books?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
so we throw out a rule if it has an effect on a title chase? so I can run two more CC's just as long as I'm close in points?

BS. The rule needs to be changed, yes, but it has to be done in the off season. It should have been done the off-season after Reed got dinged.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
XRpredator said:
so we throw out a rule if it has an effect on a title chase? so I can run two more CC's just as long as I'm close in points?

BS. The rule needs to be changed, yes, but it has to be done in the off season. It should have been done the off-season after Reed got dinged.

Exactly, you cant do anything about it now. The damage is done and this series chase (the best in many many years) takes the hit for it. To try and retract the penalty now would just cause more problems, no one will be able to block the issue from their mind regardless. Change the rule after the SX season and before the start of MX, should have already been nixed 2 seasons ago especially now that essentially everyone is on 4T's.

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
XRpredator said:

Reed got penalized by the rule when he was on a 2-stroke, which is why the rule was made as I understand.

The rule should've been revised so that it only affects 2-strokes and not thumpers. Also, it should be revised to a different limit such as the EPA standard for unleaded pump gas.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
nikki said:
I gotta wonder if money will start talkin........ :think:

Illegal Fuel Fine - $20,000

Tickets to the remaining 8 rounds = $300

2006 SX Championship three-way battle = PRICELESS

:aj:

Top Bottom