jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
My wife and I purchased a 51" Sony yesterday (I'll pick it up Friday) and the guy helping us suggested we buy the "Monster" Brand RCA cables in order to get the "near" HighDef picture on digital cable. A little while later we asked another sales person (one set of the Monster RCA cables were $100) the same question and he said to buy an S-video cable (cheap would work just as well as the top of the line($20)) that it was by-far superior to the RCA's. Now we were really confused, so we asked ANOTHER sales person. He recommended the Monster Brand S-video ($80 I think?) that it would be far superior to the cheap S-video and even more so to the RCA cables! Now, we don't know what to do! Suggestions?
We've got a cable box, PS2, and a DVD player all routed through an RCA switch panel (that can use S-video too). Do we run just one cable from the RCA box to the TV and that'll be enough? Or do we need to run a good cable from the unit, to the RCA box, AND then to the TV? We're just trying to get it right the first time!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You don't need High-Dollar cables.
Get a S-Video cable and just some decent RCA's for the left and right channels. S-Video is superior to RCA connected video.

"Near Hi-Def" ? That's salesman BS, sounds like something a sales guy at Bust Buy would say. Digital cable will NOT be anywhere near Hi-Def no matter what. Your new 51" will show you just how crappy cable is, lol. The bigger the screen, the worse a crappy signal looks. Digital is no doubt better than regular cable though, depends on how much your cable company compresses the digital signal. You will notice some channels look a lot better than others... simply due to one being compressed more than the other.

Again... do not waste your money on expensive cables, but do use s-video for video.

What model Sony TV did you get? With a little info, I may be able to offer some additional advice.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
sounds like something a sales guy at Bust Buy would say.

Very good! It was Bestbuy although a guy at Circuit City said the same thing! Here's a link to the model we got. Circuit City didn't try to sell us any type of HD tuner, Bestbuy tried to sell us DirectTV, but we're happy with the cable service we've got and aren't ready to switch. Don't know much about it other than it fit in our price range. We've got a home stereo that we use for surround sound and like I mentioned before, it'll all run through the RCA box (via S-video if thats what everyone recommends).

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...50479&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03006

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Do you have a progressive scan DVD player?  IF so, you will want to connect it to the TV using the component video input.  That's the one with the three colors (y, Cr, Cb), video only.  Since your TV has two sets of component video inputs, you could hook up your Digital cable box that way too, but as Okie said, the residual gains from digital cable are low.  Mostly, the bulk of the channels that you will watch are still in analog.  (Premium channels excluded)

Any additional items that you connect, like a game machine, should use any of the 3 S-video imputs.

Good luck and enjoy the TV.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Sorry about the link, it works for me. Here's the model:

Model: KP-51WS510
Sony 51" Widescreen
HD-Ready Rear-Projection TV
w/ DVI Input & 2-Tuner PIP

Yes, my DVD is progressive scan.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I will second the componet level if you have it. My TV does not so I opted for the S-video option, but my TV has limited connections for that. I realy need another for the satillite. For the Audio. I have optical. Its nice. One cable, one connection and it works great. No interfearance of any kind. It runs on light :cool:

The only good thing I have to say about Monster is there surge suppressor equipment replacement policy is high enough to cover a pretty decent systems. There cables arn't worth the bucks IMO.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Def. get component cables for the DVD > TV connection.

In order of quality, worst to best (video)

1. RF (cable)
2. RCA
3. S-Video
4. Component
5. DVI

BTW, Some TV's don't necessarily benefit from a progressive scan input. I see NO difference in picture between progressive and interlaced on my set-up. (Denon DVD and Hitachi 57S700)

Get yourself a high definition receiver with DVI out to DVI in on the big screen :aj: High Def at 1080 SMOKES DVD at 480.

B

biglou

All this is making my head hurt. I have a question though: Is it ok to use the generic house brand aluminum foil on the rabbit ears or should I stick with the Reynolds heavy-duty stuff. The pimpley-faced kid at BestBuy said the resolution is much higher with the Reynolds (120lines vs 60-75), but I need to be sure before droppin' that much coin on some new technology... :moon:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by BigLou
All this is making my head hurt. I have a question though: Is it ok to use the generic house brand aluminum foil on the rabbit ears or should I stick with the Reynolds heavy-duty stuff. The pimpley-faced kid at BestBuy said the resolution is much higher with the Reynolds (120lines vs 60-75), but I need to be sure before droppin' that much coin on some new technology... :moon:

DUDE!  You're gonna need a screen filter with either foil solution.  I heard on the internet that the rose colored Saran Wrap offers the best filtering and color enhancement.  The directions said to spray the screen with a spray adhesive (3M 77 was recommended), lay the saran wrap on (one layer only), and hit it with a heat gun to smooth the finish.  Don't get too close with the heat gun or you will melt the saran wrap. :)

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Jboomer.
I've got an unused single link 2 meter DVI digital to DVI digital video cable if you want it. I'll never use it and am not sure where I picked it up. Just let me know.
FYI, DVI is the top interface connector for high-performance connection between your PC's video card, Flat Panel Displays, Digital CRT Displays, Projectors, and HDTV. Features: DVI-D 19-pin Male to DVI-D 19-pin Male. DVI supports digital displays Resolutions up to 1920 x 1080, at a 60-Hz refresh rate Supports hot plugging of DVI display devices Compatible with Flat Panel Displays, Digital CRT Displays, Projectors. High Speed Digital Data Transmission delivers the signal faster and stronger than a standard monitor cable Compatibility-Works with virtually any digital flat panel, liquid crystal display Simplicity-Quick, Hot Plug Detection.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Let me see if I've got a DVI receptacle and I'll let you know! I'll be breaking down the entertainment center Thurs or Fri (can't get to any of the equipment until I do). I appreciate it!

Top Bottom