Ready to buy the EFM auto-clutch. Does and Don't

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Hi,

After reading several threads abouts the EFM / Revloc and Rekluse auto-clutch, I am ready to make the move and go with the EFM model. ( $300 less than Revloc at this time. Revloc currently has a promo at $795 (new clutch plates, no core charges). Still no news from Rekluse.

Anyways,

Before I conclude the deal with Garry from EFM, I'd appreciate receiving a few advice from those of you who already made the move. What are the does and don'ts?

Thanks in advance.

L

LukeRips

I spent lot of time out there with Gary and Chris. I use an EFM auto-clutch in my woods bike and I can't say enough about it. I more than love it, it's always perfectly feeding power. I never get stuck even in some really nasty stuff and I hardly ever get pumped hands anymore. I made sure to have Gary replace my clutch lever with the Magura hydro rear brake. This allows me to power slide to the right and brake properly on gnarly down hills. EFM doesn't pay me but I give them their props every chance I get.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Phil,

How much extra $$$ for the rear hand brake set-up? Is it REALLY worth it?
Did you have to pay custom fees when Garry shipped the item back to you?

tks

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I'm a little unclear on something. I assume that the clutch disengages at low RPMs like a centrifugal clutch, right? If that's the case then how does it "know" to disengage at a higher RPM range like when up or down shifting?

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
Is the EFM unit installed by the company or can it be purchased and installed by myself? Any prices on the total setup for the auto clutch with the rear brake lever? I've been thinking about buying a new bike but if I could get this set up I'd probably hang onto it for while longer.

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
how does it "know" to disengage at a higher RPM range like when up or down shifting?

It doesn't. All the retrofit autoclutches (EFM, REKLUSE, REVLOC) stay engaged once they engage. This requires 'clutchless' shifting, which done properly will not necessarily cause any more damage than proper 'clutched' shifting, if that is your concern.

Based on the way they shift, I believe that the autoclutches that typically come stock in many ATVs and mini bikes do have a mechanism to disengage the clutch when shifting, but I have not actually torn into one to see how they operate. On the autoclutched ATVs and mini bikes I've ridden, I've found that you can slip the clutch by feathering the shifter just enough not to shift into the next gear. When I do this, it really does seem that the clutch is slipping and metering power, NOT that the transmission is simply in a false neutral position between gears. The stock type of autoclutch also tends to engage if the vehicle is rolling in gear, enabling bump starting a dead engine - this is a feature that the retrofit autoclutches lack, as far as I know.

L

LukeRips

Lutz said:
The stock type of autoclutch also tends to engage if the vehicle is rolling in gear, enabling bump starting a dead engine - this is a feature that the retrofit autoclutches lack, as far as I know.

That's correct, no more bump starting. :(

However, you probably won't stall the bike to have to bump start it. I ran a 3 hour harescramble yesterday and never shut the bike off and believe me the bike was on the ground a couple times.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
So, you're not concerned about your shifting ever causing undue wear or premature tranny failure? I assume that these various manufactures of auto clutches have done long term testing. I wonder what they have said about this question?

L

LukeRips

I've done long term testing myself. My bike is an 02, 3 seasons of harescrambles and GNCCs with no signs of tranny problems whatsoever. I've been shifting bikes without a clutch for 22 years and I've never had a tranny problem.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
johnkdx220 said:
Phil,

How much extra $$$ for the rear hand brake set-up? Is it REALLY worth it?
Did you have to pay custom fees when Garry shipped the item back to you?

tks

Not sure how much it is now, but it's worth it ;)

Customs fees? You mean sales tax? We do pay sales tax but that is it.
Make sure you either get it shipped USPS global express mail, or shipped to the border and go pick it up if you are close. Otherwise the evil *******s at UPS will charge you silly fees for no good reason other than making themselves rich.

Phil

libskater

Sep 26, 2003
the reason you can pull up or push down on an atv shifter adn disengage the auto clutch to up the revs is because they have 2 sets of clutches, a centifugal and a drive clutch. the first stage of a shift disengages the centrifugal so that you can shift and the drive one is locked once the bike is gear, teh centrifugal one is teh one that allows you to stop without stalling

b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
Ok guys...let's change the subject off of clutchless shifting and back to do's and don't of auto clutches.

JohnKDX220 asked...
"Before I conclude the deal with Garry from EFM, I'd appreciate receiving a few advice from those of you who already made the move. What are the does and don'ts?."

I'm about to take the same plunge....any of the wisdom from the forum bro's would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully....E

Top Bottom