GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
I'm thinking of putting an auto clutch on my KX. I've looked at the Revlok, EFM and Rekluse. Do any of you guys have one or have ridden a bike with one? Do they work as well as advertised or just marketing hype?

I am aware that the Revlok is twice as much as a Rekluse, is it worth the money or are they just really proud of their stuff? Not sure what the EFM costs.

It looks like the Revlok comes complete with the entire inner hub and basket (you have to send yours in or a core charge applies) while the Rekluse comes with just a pressure plate.

Are these clutches pretty much equal or is one head and shoulders above the others?

Thanks.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've got the Rekluse ... nothing to send in, can be taken right back out, over-ride (use the clutch if you want to), external adjuster. Was a pretty simple decision for me. Super easy to install too.

Works awesome! No complaints what-so-ever. Can't comment on the others, never ridden with one.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Your word is good enough for me. I called Rekluse yesterday and they said they were expecting to release one for the KX250 in about a month. :)

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
Ghost Rider, when you heard about the KX auto clutch, did they give you a tentative price?? I am really curious to try one, but would hate to shell out big bucks on something I may not like.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
No price but I'd think it would be the same as the CR250 and YZ250 at $499, or very close to that.

By the way, send them an email, let them know your interested, might speed them up.

L

LukeRips

I use an EFM on my woods bikes. Those guys are awesome, their only an hour from me so I let them have my bikes. They not only know clutches but Chris is an 'A' rider and knows bike setup really well. I have had the EFM unit in and out myself so it's not difficult to install. I had them install a Magura Hydro rear brake lever in place of my clutch lever. You can't elieve how much faster you can go when you're able to brake slide with a pinch of the finger, especially fast downhills while standing I've never stalled the bike. But, probably the biggest reason I bought one is for the traction, mud races and nasty uphills are a breeze with an auto-clutch. The EFM unit will run around $500.

Luke

CBDaddy

Feb 16, 2005
I run the Rekluse in my YZF and it has worked great for me. It works great on the track and even better in the trails. I am familiar with all 3 brands and designs, and to me the Rekluse is a much better and cleaner and design.

CBDaddy

Feb 16, 2005
Out of respect for EFM and Revloc, I will try to just elaborate on the features I like about the Rekluse.

1. Installation is easy. Take the new pressure plate out of the box, set the installed gap, and with minor adjustments to spring rates, you are spraying roost in less than a couple of hours.
2. Smooth and steady engagement. The design of the balls sliding up the ramps and applying steady pressure to engage the clutch is nothing new. But the ability for the Rekluse to absorb shock (say for example after landing off a jump with the engine screaming) works very well. The design absorbs and eliminates shock that can break clutch/tranny components in other auto clutch designs.
3. Overall simplicity. The Rekluse pressure plate is clean and simple - light and compact. There are fewer fasteners than the competitor's.
4. No mods required. The Rekluse pressure plate replaces the stock pressure plate, and works with the inner hub and basket without requiring modifications. You can put the clutch back to stock at any time by simply throwing the stock pressure plate back in the bike.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Still waiting on Rekluse to release one for my bike. They keep saying that it will be a month or so. They're just saving the best for last. :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
CBDaddy said:
Out of respect for EFM and Revloc, I will try to just elaborate on the features I like about the Rekluse.
:blah:

1. Installation is easy. Take the new pressure plate out of the box, set the installed gap, and with minor adjustments to spring rates, you are spraying roost in less than a couple of hours.
The RevLoc took 40 minutes to install, and that was taking my time, reading and re-reading directions, taking pictures, making notes, etc. I could do a second one in 20 minutes easy. There is nothing to shim, file, measure, tweak, or adjust. It is a drop-in replacement of the OEM core. Considering how quick and easy the modification is, the results are even more amazing. While the end-result of the Rekluse may be great, I've read too many reports here and elsewhere that it is definitely a more involved installation than a RevLoc.

2. Smooth and steady engagement. The design of the balls sliding up the ramps and applying steady pressure to engage the clutch is nothing new. But the ability for the Rekluse to absorb shock (say for example after landing off a jump with the engine screaming) works very well. The design absorbs and eliminates shock that can break clutch/tranny components in other auto clutch designs.
The RevLoc action can be a buttery smooth, linear engagement, or whack the throttle and watch the front end launch skyward... 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th... Braaap, braaap, braaap... wheelie, wheelie, wheelie.

3. Overall simplicity. The Rekluse pressure plate is clean and simple - light and compact. There are fewer fasteners than the competitor's.
I don't know. Again, the Rekluse may be a great autoclutch, but reading the installation reports, I certainly wouldn't say it's a cleaner implementation than just dropping in a RevLoc. No spacers, gasket variations, shims or filing required.

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
You could be waiting the month for revloc for quite some time. That's a standard line they have used for years.
I have an EFM auto clutch on 3 different bikes:
2002 KX250
2003 KX500
1999 KDX220
The EFM is easy and fast to install. Gary is a great guy to deal with. In each case, I sent him my clutch on a Monday and was riding by Saturday. With the hand operated rear brake now where the clutch lever was, I'm much faster and safer. Also, no one else wants to borrow my bike since it does take a ride or two to loose the muscle memory for the clutch/foot rear brake.
Gary will mod any bike clutch to an EFM auto clutch; no waiting for that month. He even does this on street bikes. His site demos several harleys sporting his auto clutch.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
A friend of mine has a 2003 Yzf250f that he bought new in 03. He rode and raced in 03 and 04 and not much at all in 05. His motor is ruined because of the auto clutch that he put in it. How do all you Auto Clutch hounds explain this type of damage? His transmission is destroyed and a total mess. The bike was used offroad in Georgia woods. The only thing that I can think of is that the hard clay and auto clutch were a bad combination. Kinda the same effect as taking a KTM 4stroke and riding it on pavement without a rear street hub. I have heard on thumpertalk that the guys who race motocross with the auto clutches eat up tranny's cause when they land on the gas the sudden engagement is too much for the transmission.
The clutch that he used was a Revloc. I want to put a auto clutch in my 250 2stroke but I am honestly scared to do it because I want my bike to last more than 2 years.
I would like to hear what you guys have to say about my friends bike? He is a B rider, 170, and the bike was used for enduros.

Woodsquest

I love DRN!
Dec 15, 2004
Blaming an auto clutch for a destroyed motor? :coocoo:

Last edited:

CBDaddy

Feb 16, 2005
I am not 100% sure, but I think the Revloc design is lacking the ability to slip during hard landings, which sends shock through the tranny. The Rekluse clutch is designed specifically to allow for this type of shock, and would not damage the tranny. Don't blame all brands of auto clutches just because of a bad design with one particular brand.

Top Bottom