rear brake master cylinder

Randy M.

Oct 16, 2002
My 220 has been sitting for a while. I took it out for a wash today and rode it around the yard afterwards. It didn't take long to find out I had no rear brakes. They were working fine last ride. Can you just replace a seal or two, or would it be best to get a new cylinder. Thanks in advance.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
What is not working? You need to start inspecting the system instead of just buying a few bills and hope you find the fix by chance.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Agreed. Lots of things to go wrong there - master cylinder, air in the lines, low fluid, etc. I found once that my line coming out of the master cylinder had been cut during a spill, resulting in quite a mess.

Randy M.

Oct 16, 2002
I'm 99% sure it's the master cylinder. I'm not getting anything at the bleed valve. I took the cylinder off and looked it over carefully. It doesn't seem to be making the pressure I think it should have. I ordered a rebuild kit today since they wanted like 160+ for a new one. Less than 40 for the kit. That should fix the problem.

Randy M.

Oct 16, 2002
Well I have rear brakes now! Installed the new piston and seals, bled it out about 50 times to be sure to get all the air out. Working great now.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…