scott graaf

Apr 25, 2002
just took apart the rear linkage. three questions - do you use locktite on the bolts when reassembling? Second, when pushing through the rear swingarm bolt - the threaded end gathers grease. If the grease if left on and the nut re torked, does this cause the bolt to loosed vs cleaning threads and tightening. Lastly - the nut that holds the rear link to the frame is so close to the frame that you can not get a tork wrench with a socket on it. The bolt/ nut can not be reversed. Can you hold the nut and tork the bolt end or will this give a false tork reading? any tricks?

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Q1. I don't - no problems so far
Q2. I don't clean them, I leave the grease on
Q3. I torque the bolt end.

No tricks needed - it's simple.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Q1 have a close look at the nut. You'll see it has two metal teeth, for a lack of a better word, at the end of the nut to lock it in place. No locking agent needed though I don't see a problem applying some Lock Tight blue if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Q2 I quickly wipe the grease off so it doesn't attract dirt etc and to be sure it doesn’t effect the torque reading. I'm sure the effect would be minimal but it only takes a second and I'm anal about that kind of stuff.

Q3 Torque the Bolt end. Next time you pull the swing arm off the bike reverse it so you can torque the nut instead.

Have a greet day,

David

Top Bottom