Sparky454

Jan 1, 2002
I want to set the sag on my son's 2001 kx 65, I have read some on setting sag but the articles all deal with big bikes, what should the sag be for motocross racing?
thanks
sparky

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
As a roule of thumb, the Race Sag or Laden Sag should be aprox 1/3 of the total suspension travel (both front and rear).

Anyway make sure you always have some Free Sag or Unladen Sag, we find this meassurement to be more and more important.
(I would say you need at least 5-7mm Free Sag)

Sorry I don't have any exact meassurements, but we have minor experience with the small bikes over here.

Hope this helps a bit!
Good luck.

Sparky454

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the Info, His bike has 9.1 inches of travel that would put the sag at about 3 inches it has 2.75 now, the free sag is that the measurement from the bike at rest on the ground to the bike unloaded like on a stand?

Sparky

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
Yes that is corect!
When you meassure the Free and Race Sag you will get more stable, and thus more corect meassurements if you push down on the back of the seat, and let of slowly to let the bike settle.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you can not obtain the correct static sag(after setting the rider sag), it's a direct indicator that your springs are not correct for the riders weight.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
To further what Jaybird said. Once you have the race sag set, if the free sag is not enough or less than what it should be, your spring is too soft. If you have too much free sag, your spring is too stiff.

Top Bottom