Recovering from serious injuries

Josh D

Nov 11, 2001
I posted this on another board, but really this is the perfect forum for it. I mostly ride street anymore, but want to ride dirt as much as I can (more fun honestly). Anywho, here goes-

Hi all!

If some of you remember, I posted a while back about being hit from behind by another rider. This happened last October, and the list reads as- broken ankle, broken leg, shattered L5 vertebre, and fractured shoulder blade. I now have a titanium cage + screws in my spine, a screw in my ankle, and a metal plate + screws in my leg about 4 inches above my ankle. All of that stuff has healed up pretty well, the doc said everything looks great (relatively speaking!) and the reason behind that was all the rehab I have done. Although I feel that I am nowhere near the strength I used to be, he said my legs/ankle were "strong as an ox".

I have since gotten back on the street, and rode about 2 tanks of gas through my new to me RC51. It has been OK, riding anywhere from 20-50min. a session. My shoulders get worn out easy, but other than that, everything seems fine. Been taking it pretty easy, so no twisty roads yet :(

In about 2 weeks, my KDX 200 should be put back together. It's getting a new top end rebuild, as well as new graphics, and proper jetting. Has anyone done any dirt riding with serious injuries like I had? I am just kinda nervous about it, because you generally sustain a lot more of a beating riding dirt than you do street. Just from all the bumps and dips and stuff. I do not MX, SX, or jump anything more than a foot in the air, mostly just backroad, trail, and woods riding. Of course, I have to see how long i can keep the front wheel in the air when I pass one of my buddies that rides an ATV after I let him catch up to me :nener: Besides, it keeps me from doing wheel stands on the street. Generally, I ride spirited, but not over my head, and I rarely lay it over. Just wanted to get an opinion from anybody who has sustained major types of injuries and how it affected your ability to ride. Hopefully it won't bother me too much, but if it does, guess I'll just have to sell my KDX :ugg:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It does make you think more before trying something questionable, but IMO if you ride too cautiously, the bike handles sufficiently different that it is almost as dangerous as riding too aggresively.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Even if I were exiled to riding an XR200 and not allowed above 3rd gear for the rest of my days, it would be so much better than not riding at all! The friend I ride with likes to ride all out all the time, and as a result, we miss a lot of the scenery which is one of the things I like about offroad riding in the first place. In the next few years, I'll be picking up a bike for the wife and then I'll get both types of riding...riding for thrill and fun, and also leisure cruising through the woods and enjoying the views some more.

Top Bottom