Reed valve choices, propaganda vs facts

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
I have a 87 kdx200 re-sleeved ported etc, have had boyeseen dual stage reeds installed for about 10 or so hours and they are starting to frey, time to replace. I am looking at either v force 3 or carbon tec , maybe even a rad valve. Nobody I've asked seems to know which will make more power and there are so many stories about all of them(people saying each is better than the other). Has anyone had an opportunity to compare these on a dyno to get some real answers? Any help or opinions or links would be of great help, cheers.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The v-force get the most consitant praise. Never really hear anything bad. I had them in my rm250 when I bought it so I'm not sure how much of a difference they made over stock. I've heard some complaints about carbon pedals chipping, but who knows how long people run them.

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
Yea, most people seem to be recomending vf3, some bikes are comming out standard with them too. I just hoped someone might have compared them with carbon tec on a standard reed block, because they cost less than vf3 and rad valve. Plus my rubber boot that holds the carb is straight any way.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
from what i know boyesen dual stage produce a power delivery almost like the v-force and maybe 1/3 of the price... it could be a major factor....

Core87

Jul 4, 2006
Thanks Helio, I think that I will try the carbon tec, they do an LT and an HT reed I want more mid to top end power so the High Tension ones may be my choice. Also I have looked at my dual stage reeds and cant see how they can flow better than the stock ones, being joined in length the way they are, maybe they create less turbulance in the crank case?. I guess the only way is to try them out and see what happens.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
the high tension reeds is better for high rpm... actually they don´t flow more but resist to flutter in high rpm, so gives you better control over the inlet system but they are to hard to open in low rpm...
the low tension open more easy, so it fill better your cylinder in low rpm, but flutter easy in high rpm...
the dual stage have the best of both worlds... normally the claims are more response at low end with the same top end or a little more in all rpm...

Top Bottom