Reeds: What, How, and Why?

TGR

Apr 1, 2001
Just wondering about the technical nature of aftermarket reeds and should I put 'em on my new 220. How much will they help and in what way? What's the best reeds for a 220?

Tom

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Is your 220 stock? If so you will only see a marginal gain by installing reeds. Aftermarket reeds typically flex easier and give a better throtle response but no huge performance gains. Now if you have modified the exhaust and removed the air box lid you probabaly would be well advised to get the reeds. I also agree the Boyeson reeds are the best bang for the buck.

TGR

Apr 1, 2001
I've removed the airbox lid and install an FMF torque with turbine core 2 spark arrestor.

Isn't there also boyesen pro reeds? What's the difference?

Also I was reeding the rad valve thread. What's the cost on one of those?

Thanks,

Tom

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Since you have uncorked your KDX a set of reeds might be a good addition at this point. Your right there are Boyeson PRO reeds that will work just as well as the power reeds. A RAD Valve will set you back $150 or more and that money would be MUCH WISER spent on having your carburetor modified by R+B or Fredette.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
$$ of boyesen rad valve

$120 + shipping from rocky mountain (add 'mc' and a dotcom).

I paid considerably more for the one I just got...but I'd rather spend my money locally than with a dotcom.

The '89-01 200/'97-01 220 is a RAD-14XA. It comes with pro series reeds.

Improvement on my 200 was much better than 'marginal'..but I had the RB carb mod to start with. Bottom end pull AND snap was a large step up.

To each his own. Maybe riders that don't like the rad valve didn't rejet right..I have no idea. I know it works like a champ in my 200! Rates up there in the 'biggest bang for the $' category.

Oh...to be fair, I also retarded my timing a notch. The bike ran better when the rad valve was put in..but ran better-n THAT with a timing change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom