Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
Looking at my boy's KDX 200 and don't like the location of the side stand. Just sticks out too far and I know it will hit and catch trail side junk.

I could just remove it but I know that while trail riding it is very handy to have - opening gates, helping others, etc. I thought about modifying it so that it swings up higher (like to a one or two o'clock postion). Also thought about welding another mounting plate nearer to the swing arm pivot and relocating the side stand there: also modify it to swing into a one or two o'clock position.

What have you guys done to prevent the stand from catching on trail side junk, rutts, rocks, etc?????

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
sorry.this link was in my favorite list since 2 years! it is not me.I think the idea is awsome. ktm side stand on a kdx.....i like the try! :aj:

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I really never had any problems with mine either, but like you I didn't like the way it looked like it might catch on something. So I ground the upper stop some to bring it up another couple of inches and also just kicked it e few times to bend it in closer to the swingarm. Much better now!!!

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
I know we will catch the stand on a number of trails that we ride. Our swing arms get scraped up periodically without us toppling over. (although that happens routinely too)

Grinding the upper stop to allow the stock stand to raise up higher would certainly help. I'll need to look closer at the mount to see if I should bend it inward.

Kdxquebec you said something about a ktm stand on the kdx. I think I have a KTM stand kicking around in the garage somewhere but I know the mounting bracket is completely different and the KTM pivot bolt fails. Have you seen a KTM stand on a KDX?

I'm surprized that nobody (aftermarket) has created a good light weight stand that bolts onto the bike nearer to the foot peg. I may need to look closer into fabricating a bracket or mounting plate for a kickstand. Hummmm - this could turn into a project!!

I welcome any and all ideas. The relocation of the stock stand is still the easiest and sano modification that I can envision but it would require me to have a weld shop do the aluminum welding and likely the removing of the swing arm. (I have a mig welder but not experienced or set-up for alumium welding)

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Seems to me if you have it angled up to far it will catch you instead of the trail trash. Persoanlly I tossed my kickstand in the same lake as my air box lid. :yeehaw:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Idaho Charley said:
Kdxquebec you said something about a ktm stand on the kdx. I think I have a KTM stand kicking around in the garage somewhere but I know the mounting bracket is completely different and the KTM pivot bolt fails. Have you seen a KTM stand on a KDX?

I'm surprized that nobody (aftermarket) has created a good light weight stand that bolts onto the bike

I suspect their might be a tissue rejection issue with transplanting pumpkin part on a cabbage though :nener: it just aint meant to be that way! Yes those KTM bolts do break easy - but E-Rider makes an "unbreakable" one.

Try Trailtech for a kickstand. I know they make ones for KTMs (i have one on my bike) and other bikes, maybe they do for KDX's?

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Idaho Charley,
I'm riding near you w/ same terrain, and I've never had a problem. I've had the bike through some pretty narley stuff and I've never noticed it hanging up or dragging. Not even in the rocks. The only time I'm sure it has has been in really deep snow.
P.S. ever ride toward Poky? I'm between Poky and Inkom.

tn220

Nov 1, 2004
I took mine off but had to put it back on when I bought my son a bike and he started going with me. My stand has been bent and is loose so I contacted Trailtech and gave them the measurements of my 220 from the chain roller to the subframe bolt and they said the stand for the YZ/WR was the closest fit. I ordered one a couple days ago so we'll see how it fits in a few days. If it's close I'm sure I can make it work. The part number is 5002- YZ/WR if anyone wants to check it out on their site. I'll post a report when I get it....

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
Clutchcover - Haven't ever ridden down your way. We did attempt to last spring but the trails were marked as closed. Don't remember the name of the valley but it was between Inkom and Poky on the west side of the road. Sort of bypassed a landfill after leaving the interstate ?? Big valley with what appeared to be 6-10 designated trails off the paved secondary road.

Normally ride Fall Creek, Garnes/Pine Creek Area, Spencer area, try to hit Big 8 mile or Medicine Lodge areas once a year.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Charley,
That was Mink Creek. You were pretty close (within a mile or two) of where I live. Trails round here open April 15. If you ever head this way, shoot me an email. I'd be glad to show you where to ride.

tn220

Nov 1, 2004
Idaho Charley, There was some confusion on the measurements for the stand and I emailed trailtech to see if they have anything closer. If they don't I can make this one work by welding a bracket in the right spot. The stand is very well made. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them or go ahead and mount this one and post a pick if I can figure out how to post one.... tn220

Top Bottom