Removal of Clutch Actuator Bearings??

stinkypickle

Apr 3, 2006
My '91 KDX 250 started to leak oil from the clutch actuator shaft on the LS crankcase, and I noticed some play between the shaft and the upper needle bearing. When I pulled the shaft out, I saw it was hammered, along with both the upper and lower needle bearings. So I ordered a new seal, shaft, and bearings. It's all here now, but before I do something stupid and mess up the crankcase, how do I get the two needle bearings out??? Is there a special puller to grab on the ID of the bearings? Ideas please. I wanna go riding this weekend. Thanks.

stinkypickle

Apr 3, 2006
I do have the factory manual but details on this are non-existent. It's a pretty poor excuse for a service manual, but better than nothing.

After I scared myself silly with the pricing of a blind hole bearing puller, I made my own. I got the top bearing out, and as luck would have it, the bottom bearing was OK. New upper bearing, seal, and actuation rod installed and there is joy once again. With the scallops filed off the clutch basket, it works like new!

KDX200fromAUS

Jul 26, 2006
just a word of advice mate, NEVER leave one bearing in if you are replacing its opposite counterpart, even if it looks ok, for the cost of a bearing and the time to replace it while the case is off is much less than the effort and time and anger than having to redo the whole lot again just because the 1 bearing you thought looked ok let go......sure it may be fine, but really weigh up the pros and cons and logic should prevail..

stinkypickle

Apr 3, 2006
Agreed. Generally bad practice. However, in this case I don't think there is any way possible to remove the lower bearing without splitting the crankcase. The 250 does not have the bearings in the cover as in newer bikes. That makes it tough. In this case I'm comfortable with the repair, but bearings should always be replaced in sets.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom