JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
The tip of the shift shaft (part no 13161 in this diagram http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/9/Kawasaki.aspx) on my sons 2001 KX85 broke off.

No idea how this is even possible but it happened. When intact the end of this shaft has two rows of splines. The gear shift lever fits over the splines. The tip of the shaft broke off right between the two rows of splines.

Plan 1 is to repair this. I am going to drill a hole through the piece that broke off and into the rest of the shaft that remains intact. I will then thread the hole and insert a bolt though the pieces to pull them together. Remount the shifter and hope it holds till he outgrows the bike. I think this will work and will actually be a pretty solid fix but just in case it doesn't work.

Any other suggestions on repairing this item? I can't imagine that this has happened to anyone else.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Just replace the shift shaft.

Do you really want to risk your son's safety on a half a$$ repair job like that, or trust that you've done the job the right way with the right part?

In case you aren't aware, this is a pretty simple repair.

You only need to pull the kick start lever, drain the coolant, pull the side cover from the clutch side, and remove the clutch & basket.

Once that's all out of the way, you can pull the shaft out pretty easily. Then reinsert the new shaft.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I appreciate your feedback.

I don't consider this a safety issue. My son isn't a racer, just a play rider. This part broke five minutes after we got to the track this past Sunday. I used vice grips to put him in 3rd gear and he rode the track for several hours in third gear. Couldn't start as quickly, get out of the corners as quickly or go down the straightaway as quickly but he just rides for fun.

To answer your question: I didn't think the shaft could be replaced that easily. After looking at the diagrams I thought it would require splitting the cases. On the diagrams it looks like the end of the shaft on the clutch side butts into something within the case. Besides the shaft and the clutch side gasket what other parts would I need? I'd just as soon order everything prior to starting the job so I can start and finish in the same day. The local dealers don't stock much of anything for these bikes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I did one in my YZ85 just before winter.. All I needed was the shaft, seal & gasket.

You probably won't need anything else either. Patience and a cold beverage, and it'll be good as new!

Top Bottom