Replating the bore of worn shock

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I know cylinders can be replated to restore the bore, why not shocks. I have wanted to do this to my worn Showa as it seems to be a quality way to restore an aluminum bore. It would probably last longer than stock too, as the stock plating is pathetic.

Does anyone know who will do this for me? I have tried US Chrome and Millenium. They both claim to do cylinders only.

TIA

Chris

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
It would work quite well IMO. There would be less friction, less heat and a bulletproof bore. Talk to Eric Gorr or Rick Peterson. I believe Rick Peterson does some odd plating jobs.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You dont need to get any thing new as many companies offer anodising to refurbish shock bodies-it is alot harder than the original.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
There is a company that will bore out your stock shock body and insert a steel liner.......I think it's "PEP" in California.

Sorry, I don't know the phone number. Maybe check Cycle News if you're interested.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
How about an oversized piston?

Just think, you can have your shock bored 'n stroked and ported and polished.:confused:

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Mace, buddy,,,, you just aint right! LOL:)

Does anyone have any phone numbers?

Thanks!

Chris

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Whipit,
Wayne does the steel liner deal? That is to cool.. Wayne is a real peice of work, tell him Jer gave you his number..

Cujet, try 909-590-4111

Regards,
Jer

PS.. Wayne is the best intened guy in the world, but chronicaly late on delivery.. So your warned, but he is a very cool guy, who just has a hard time disapointing people..

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Anodizing will only treat the surface so that it is the proper"hardness". It will not fill scratches or return a warn, out of round body to spec. Trust me, I tried it.

The black coating looks cool, but I still have same scratches.

If someone is repairing the warn areas, then anodizing, that another senario.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
An update:

I found that Pro Action will send my shock out for internal re-plating with a Nikasil type surface. They can build up worn areas up to 0.005 inches (each surface.) for a total of 0.010 inches. The cost is 125 dollars. As I understand it, this is a very long lasting solution for shock bores.

I really do not trust Pro Action, as they have not done the best job on my shock (this is my opinion, YMMV). I disassembled my shock and I was surprised to find that not all of the requested parts were changed! As a matter of fact the piston seal was coming off the lip of the piston! I guess 3 strikes and you're out.

I ordered new parts from Jeremy and I will install them myself. The parts from Jeremy look to be very high quality and there seems to be a bigger lip on the piston to prevent the seal from dislodging. They also came with a great set of assembly instructions. Now if I could just find them....

Chris

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Maybe anodising was the wrong word.I had the black coating done on my 94 KX shock and it did fill sctatches etc.It was a thick enough coating that the seal head would not go into the shock:scream: it had to be honed out which took alot of work appaerntly.The shock then did 50 hours of riding time and had no wear at all.Even the outside where the boot rubs was like new.The suspension tech told me as this stuff wears it has evwen less friction.He showed my how hard it was by rubbing it with a very rough sandpaper and then cleaned the dust off with contact cleaner and it didnt touch it:)

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Jer,

I remember that PEP at least "used to" offer this service. I figured it would be worth recommending to cujet. At least he could explore that option......

Top Bottom