Reserve coolant tank

goldman15

Jun 9, 2001
Does the reserve coolant tank (clear plastic tank under shroud) serve any purpose? I have been running my bike lately with this tank dry only because I get tired of filling it. The coolant level in my radiator never seems to change? Thanks for the feedback.

Paul Nurmi

Apr 24, 2002
My bike has the clear coolant tank removed. No problems even on the hottest days so far. :yeehaw:

SPARKEY

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
May 7, 2001

I have a kdx 220 and my bike does the same thing.Bike doesn't over heat.
I hve a kdx 200 and this bike the coolent tank always stays full.
I have checked the tank for leaks the hoses etc and have found no leaks.
Te 220 has had a new piston installed past winter still the same.
The new head gasket etc you would think motor would be fine.

I also would like to hear if other KDX owners are haveing the same problems?

Sparkey

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Isn't the resivoir there to collect the coolant when it overflows from the rad, and sucks it back into the rad when it cools down a bit?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
fatty: Yep. But...you knew that.

Jayhawk's link covers some things not mentioned here.

To each his own, I 'spose. If your bike loses NO coolant and has NO reservoir, you might try flicking that thingy on the right side of the hannelbar a bit more often and a bit quicker to boot!

well...and falling down from time to time.....;)

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
I agree with vegasjackass....
I also live in Las Vegas and removed my tank a long time ago. I ckeck the radiator before each ride and it always stay just below the cap. I used to have the same problems as you, but no more!
Since almost every other bike made doesn't have one, they are fine without it.

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I use my tank as an auxilary fuel tank. Slapped a petcock in the bottom line, which I tapped into the regular line and put a White Brothers short vent hose on the top nipple. Works good! Like an extra reserve...:)

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…