Retarded/Advanced/Stock Timing Settings

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Today I pulled the flywheel off my bike to check the timing. It knocks and backfires under decelleration so I thought it might be detonation because of advanced timing? I've got one question. I think timing was off from the factory, but am not sure where the marks should line up. Should the mark on the plate line up with the middle timing mark? Mine was slightly to the right, so I adjusted the plate until it lined up up with the middle mark. It was slightly advanced, right? I started the bike, and it wasn't any better. It makes terrible racket when cold, so I warmed it up, rode it down the street a few times, and it got better, but no better than it was before when warmed up with advanced timing. Should I retard the timing even more? I'm jetted stock right now, and would like to get this problem nipped. Any advice?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
stan ur makin me nervous messin around in there.service manual says center line on stator lined up w mark on case.what ever u do stay within the 3 lines.opposite of crank rotation advances it.u really can't jet the bugs outta that thing?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I tried full retard CCW and it did make an improvement in the pinging but didn't fix it totally and hurt low end performance. I had to run higher octane to get rid of my pings.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
gooby, It's in the middle now, and don't worry, my dad knows what he's doing, we just didn't know the stock setting. Mac, I run 93 octane, wich is probably fine for a stock 200. What octane do you run now in you're 225? What did you run when it was a 200? I don't think it's jetting. Symptoms lead me to believe it's a lean condition, but I'm already richer than most guys.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
could it possibly be crank bearings and seals shot?? Knocking under deceleration I've always understood to be an indication of a worn main-bearing, and if you're sucking air down there then you may notice a lean condition in spite of richer jetting...

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
This past weekend I ran 50/50 premium/Cam-2. I mixed 92 octane with 110 octane, not sure what the result is? Anyway no pinging when at WOT or when decelerating.

I used to run 92 octane before the mod and I did notice a ping when decelerating but at the time I thought it was piston slap or powervalves closing. Now I'm pretty convinced it was pinging.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
I've never heard of a crank bearing going bad unless you are sucking air and dirt, but I'm pretty sure I'm not. Mac, when running you're 200, did you notice the pinging I described, 1-2 under decelleration, and when you blip the throttle slightly when in neutral, pings/knocks on it's way back down to idle? Mine makes all kinds of knocking/pingin/ noises when cold, and you hold it at 1/4 throttle, but when warmed up and cleaned out, none there, only when reving, or under decelleration. How could I tell if I'm sucking dirt and air?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…