Automatic clutches and gearbox problems

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Anybody experienced gearbox failures after installing an automatic clutch (doesn't matter wether Rekluse or Revloc or EFM)?

The story:

After installing a Rekluse z-start into my TM300 I posted a review on our German bulletin board and told the people how much I liked it. At the same time two friends of mine also put z-starts in their bikes. One GasGas 250, which is mostly used for enduro riding and a KX250F which is only ridden on MX tracks.
Niels' GasGas and my TM still are just fine. Clutches work great and I have around 70 operating hours on it and Niels around 50.
The problem was the KX-F. My friend wrecked the gear wheels of the Kawasaki twice, both times when landing after a jump with the engine revs pretty high. Happened after only a handful of operating hours. The gear wheels simply exploded into shrapnel.

Our theory how this could happen is as follows:
Imagine you jump and the front end is too low. To cure this you open the throttle in order to make the engine rev so that the front end comes up again. With no resistance at the rear wheel (because you are flying high) the engine revs freely and the auto-clutch presses the plates together with maximum force.
In the moment you hit the ground your rear wheel is spinning with a speed that is good for, say, 70 km/h while you are in fact only moving with a speed of 50 km/h.
A manual clutch would now simply slip a bit to level that speed difference. The auto-clutch doesn't do that, because the pressure the (however many) steel balls produce is much higher than the pressure the six little springs in the manual clutch can put out.
So the slipping of the manual clutch works in this case like a shock-load absorber while the auto-clutch at max. pressure simply transfers the shock-load from the rear wheel to the crank. Then weakest part in the drivetrain breaks, which in case of the KX-F seemed to be the gear-pair that is currently working.

Another thing to consider (besides that I and Niels the GG rider don't ride MX) is that our bike have rubber-mounted clutch baskets, which might be able to swallow most of the impact. The KX-F has not. Same for KTM fourstrokes.
In fact KTM intended to include the Revloc to their Power-Parts program but quit testing after experiencing serious gearbox problems (same problem as I described above).
In woods riding it seems that all this doesn't happen, only when you are jumping and landing with high revs.
Another thing that is possible is that KTM's and Kawasuki gearboxes are a bit more fragile than others.

So, besides of what you think about our theory to the problem I'd like to hear some long term experiences from riders with auto-clutches who ride MX very often - especially CR450F riders, since another friend of mine put a z-start into his 450. He rides mostly MX and is now a little bit ancious (understandable).

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
sounds like a sound diagnosis, the reason the new ktms were issued with a advice label saying they were not to be used on roads for extened times, was due to no cush drive and gear problems.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
A few things -
I have heard of the Revloc doing this because of the way the bearings ramp up and load the tranny without any slippage, this is the selling point for the EFM(they don't lock up as much).

Running from slick dirt to pavement can do the same thing(motard) without the auto clutch.

Re-adjust the bearings for more slipping as not to tear up the gears - motorcycle trannies are fragile anyway from the start.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
What year was the KXF? The '04 KXF trannies were known to be somewhat fragile anyways (under aggressive riders).

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Holeshot,

yes the KX-F is a 2004 model.
The CR-450 tranny didn't have any problems with the Z-Start btw, and its owner is Germany's Rekluse importer meanwhile.
The Niels GasGas also doesn't have any gearbox failures and there is nothing like that to notice in my TM, which runs with the Z for nearly a year now with lots of hours on it. Only wear on the clutch is a completely worn out basket, which I will have to replace soon.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Perhaps the KX-F rider's chain was too tight which put extreem pressure on the countershaft causing transmission failure unrelated to the clutch?

Just an idea

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I used to brake gears on my Maico when I landed with "panic rev" throttle too. Sounds like the clutch could make a weak gearbox more susceptible to breakage.

L

LukeRips

I use an EFM on MX tracks without a problem. I don't think the Rev-Lok is slipping near enough, there shouldn't be the sudden lock up. The EFM has that slip built-in, that's what gives you unbelievable traction in the woods. It's like having a pro running your clutch for you. The EFM is by far the best auto-clutch on the market. I've tried them all on the KX's through the past few years.

Top Bottom