Rick Johnson comments about Bailey's injury

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I was reading the Rick Johnson interview in Dirt Rider this morning and was amazed at his comments regarding David Bailey's career ending injury. I was expecting to read something like, "I was really upset for David and just felt terrible about his predicament". But his comments were more like, it really took the pressure off him because his best competitor was out of action now and he could just put it in cruise control. I don't know, just seemed pretty harsh to me. Those guys were pretty hard core. Too hard core in my opinion.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Sounds like a compliment to me. :confused:

If anything, he slammed everyone else that ran against him that year. "With Bailey out, I could just put it on cruise control."

I just got a cool NOS vintage David Bailey poster from 1985, but UPS managed to crush the tube and the poster. The UPS guy left it on my porch without any apology or explanation. :silly:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser

I just got a cool NOS vintage David Bailey poster from 1985, but UPS managed to crush the tube and the poster. The UPS guy left it on my porch without any apology or explanation. :silly:

If I see him, the UPS guy, around my house, I'll kick his A$$ for you!  :p

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Just an FYI:

You can't blame the UPS guy, he just delivers the packages. You should blame the person that packed the package in the first place!

I load UPS trucks in the wee hours of the morning and I see all kinds of packages that make me shake my head in disbelief at the idiots that pack them. They must be the lower watt bulbs in the pack.

From the time you drop off your package at the UPS counter (or have it picked up), there are all sorts of opportunities for your package to come in contact with other packages. UPS has a weight limit of 150 pounds or so (but I've seen a few heavier than that). From there, your package is put on a conveyor belt and routed to the proper destination.

So it would be easy for your <1 pound poster to possibly be bent or crushed by the surrounding packages (weighing in at up to 150lbs on each side).

I have seen all sorts of items come down the belt broken because the shipper did absolutely nothing to protect the contents (no bubble wrap, no packing peanuts, no balled up newspaper, nothing).

You've gotta pack 'em like you wanna keep 'em...

Ed

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i thought the interview was excellent. the previous issue was so bad that i considered dropping my subscription. this issue made up for it.

i wonder what the record books would look like if johnson and bailey had not been injured.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by EdLennon
Just an FYI: You can't blame the UPS guy
I blame the UPS guy. :moon:

I've received 6 or 7 posters via UPS and the US Post Office, but this is the only one that was crushed. The poster was packaged exactly like the other posters - it was in a poster mailing tube. Maybe poster mailing tubes should be made of titanium instead of cardboard.

If you say "UPS" like it's a word, it comes out "OOPS". Coincidence?

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
He didn't specify which UPS guy. If not a UPS guy, then the blame likely falls on one of the many package crushing conveyors in their hubs.

I agree with JP, exotic metals are required if the shipper guy has to package items in a manner that will guarantee UPS won't mangle them.

grackle

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
The competitiveness back then seems like it ran at a higher level and IMO that was good for the sport :eek:

It's just as bad now, but nowadays there is too much money involved so everyone grudgingly bites their tongue in fear of losing a sponsor.&nbsp;

When Ricky was losing all those races you could tell in his interviews that he blamed his losses on dirty riding by Reed and Ferry.&nbsp; You could tell he was holding back especially when talking about Ferry.&nbsp; I got the impression he thought Reed was dirty, but respected his skill, and he just thought Ferry was Yamahas lackey and since he didn't have a chance at a win he would settle for trying to take Ricky out.

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yeah, I like the good ole days when Jim Pomeroy was runnin around the pits drunk on tequila lookin to kick Marty Smith's arse cause he drove a pansy lookin car, or Bob Hurricane Hanna threatening to have is mechanic come over and break Roger D.'s if he didn't retire soon.. :worship:

Nowadays these riders just sit around in pits holding hands and givin affirmations and hugs to each other.......

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
indeed, Taraker, indeed

The good ol' days . . . or was that last weeks vintage race? :confused:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by EdLennon :
"You can't blame the UPS guy, he just delivers the packages."

Depends on which ups guy.
The one that serviced our buisness back in Pa. was a butthead.
Example:
UPS guy pickes up a parcel clearly marked "FRAGILE : GLASS" and uses it for a stepping stool to reach a pakage on the top shelf in his truck.
After hearing the loud crunch, i asked "why the heck did you just do that? That's someones property!"
His reply?
"So?"
:think: :| :think:

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
"If anything, he slammed everyone else that ran against him that year. 'With Bailey out, I could just put it on cruise control.' "

If you watch the '86 Anaheim SX opener, you will see a great race between Johnson and Bailey. Unfortunately, my boy Jeff Ward had a broken throttle cable, which didn't allow those two wannabe's to fight for second. :-)

Ha ha,
JasonWho

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
You DO know that any UPS shipment has $100 worth of insurance on it, don't you? Insist on a refund for the damaged item. Call UPS to see what you have to do.

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I have a lot of respect for the UPS drivers. They bust their butts every day and during the holidays it's nuts. I do however have a problem when my packages come in with foot prints or tire tracks on them. :(

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom