Ricky is riding RED!

According to a national motorcycling news source, Ricky Carmichael signed the deal to go to Honda next year at the Las Vegas SX last week. Kawasaki just lost their only hope for any more titles in the near future. I think ricky made a wise choice. He was all over the place with the set up of his 10 year old k-wacker. Honda will be a good home for the Champ, if he can take the pressure!:eek:

bwalker

Lifetime Sponsor
About time Honda coughed up the cash for the best rider to go along with the best bike.;)

Honda has a long history of buying championships and champions in just about all forms of motorcycle racing. This comes as no surprise.

I don't know....this could be McGrath's chance to pull off one more championship if it takes Ricky a while to adjust to those wacky Honda frames:p

Plenty of time to adjust to RED

Ricky should have plenty of time to adjust and shake out the CR's. He is not doing a last minute deal here and you know that Honda will do whatever it takes to have Ricky totally comfortable on the red bikes by the time '02 rolls around. If Ricky is at ease on the CR's, I think he will repeat as SX and MX without a hitch. McGrath will be better prepared for next year without a doubt to get the SX crown back-ESPECIALLY from Honda. Kawie definitely dropped the ball here by letting Ricky get away.:think

Honda has a long history of buying championships and champions in just about all forms of motorcycle racing. This comes as no surprise.
And what team does not? Think they buy babies and raise them to win?

Way to Go Honda!

I'm tickled to hear the news. I would love to see a RED Bike regularly whipping McGrath. Now if Honda will just put LaRocco on the new CRF450! I think it may prove to be just enough to put him ahead a spot or two.

Coop- who bleeds RED and hasn't always ridden blue:p

Hey Okie, Isn't that what Kawasaki did with Carmichael and they are now doing with James (bubba) Stewart?;)

Saratoga

How do you sign a deal to ride next year? Who will RC ride for in the outdoor series??

You cannot race for Kawasaki now and have a signed contract to ride for Honda next year. This information is not consistent and is questionable at best.

Re: Way to Go Honda!

Originally posted by BCooper
Now if Honda will just put LaRocco on the new CRF450! I think it may prove to be just enough to put him ahead a spot or two.

Yeah, Maybe the 450 would buy LaRocco the starts he needs:scream:

Okie, I realize all the manufacturers are trying to win and essentially they're all "buying" championships. However, some of the other companies will take a younger rider, sometimes even an amateur racer, and groom him along. Kawasaki has done that with dozens of riders, Suzuki did that with Pastrana, Yamaha with Bradshaw and so on. Typically, Honda is only interested in the riders at the absolute top, and they have the pockets to outbid the others and snare that rider.

In dirt track in the 80s, Honda did that several times, hiring the defending champion so they could showcase the number one plate on their team the following year. When Mike Kidd won the title in '81, they hired him away in '82 and ran advertisements with his number one plate on their motorcycle. They did the same with Ricky Graham in '84. After spending a ton of money and winning a few championships in a row, they quit and pulled up stakes.

All the manufacturers are interesting in winning and hiring the top riders. It just seems to me that Honda has little or no interest in cultivating a rider or using a farm system. Check out their wonderful contingency program for amateurs. They let the other companies bring the riders along and then spend the money to get them once they peak. That's just my opinion and observation though. It didn't occur to me that any of the teams would buy babies and raise them to win. That's an interesting interpretation of my earlier post.

Originally posted by Saratoga
How do you sign a deal to ride next year? Who will RC ride for in the outdoor series??

You cannot race for Kawasaki now and have a signed contract to ride for Honda next year. This information is not consistent and is questionable at best.
Easy, his current Kawasaki contract runs through the Nationals and maybe into some of the offseason races. RC will be on a KX for the Nationals. I know that typically Honda wrote its contracts to run from January 1 to Decmeber 31 to discourage riders from leaving, however last year they gave Kevin Windham a release so he could get on a Suzuki sooner. He was on a Suzuki by October at the US Open. During Ezra Lusk's year on Yamaha he signed with Honda in July for the next year. Really this shouldn't be a problem with Kawasaki only a setback as they lose there #1 rider. Things like this happen all the time.

JimmyD2

Subscriber
moto1313 said: "He was all over the place with the set up of his 10 year old k-wacker."

I think you meant to say - "I hope he is not all over the place on the CR like his good buddy Esra Lusk, because he was flat out awesome on that green bike."

There. That's better. :D

NO NO-I meant what I said

JimmyD2-Ricky has been riding on the edge of that battleship kawasaki calls a bike for several years now. If they (Kawie) could at least make a half hearted attempt at updating the geometry of this bike, he may be able to smooth out his riding. Ezra has been off for almost a year and is still getting back up to speed. I don't think it's the bike's fault necessarily with Lusk that he is pushing it a bit during the SX season. He definitely was fast, but a bit sketchy as well mainly from his layoff. :think