Atruckee

Mar 19, 2007
In other words, if you think about the willow, the willow will reach out and grab you and dump you on the ground. I think it is a related (converse) phenomenon to your soft focus/zen/peripheral vision/let the force be with you concept.

It's called target fixation. Where you look you will probably go.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Atruckee said:
It's called target fixation. Where you look you will probably go.

Actually, I think if your mind even visualizes it, you will go there. The fear factor. The mind's eye?

Proper nomenclature is great. Much appreciated. For some reason my young daughter grasped and enjoyed the concept of the "whomping willow". We had quite the chuckles over it. It kept the lesson very lighthearted, even while she crashed. She knew exactly that it was a mind over matter deal without my saying so. She knew what to put out of her mind. (As opposed to "looking" in the right direction, but her mind steering her to the tree.)

I like the metaphor, too. There's nothing quite like getting your arse kicked by a tree or root that reaches out and grabs you and throws your fanny to the ground. A very memorable experience. The metaphor says it all.

Now....I wonder what a good metaphor would be for a guy going over an embankment they can't get out of their brain?? Hmmm... Gomer? Ol89r? :think:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
olderndirtmom said:
Now....I wonder what a good metaphor would be for a guy going over an embankment they can't get out of their brain?? Hmmm... Gomer? Ol89r? :think:
That's strange...I could hav sworn that 89R told me before we went up into the mountains to keep an eye out over the edge to see what I didn't want to hit if I went over the.....EEEEEEEKKKKK!!! :yikes:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
olderndirtmom said:
"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes your the bug!"

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
olderndirtmom said:
More of a metaphor for the MX track, I'd say...Like when a guy comes over your shoulder and lands on ya with his bike. :yikes:
I've been on both side of that equation and it is MUCH better to be the one on the bottom.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
High Lord Gomer said:
I've been on both side of that equation and it is MUCH better to be the one on the bottom.

Sheeeeew!

:eek:

Top Bottom