ditchrider

Jun 20, 2001
Hi Folks. I put my sons 98XR100 back together and am now wondering about the order of the rings as this thing still smokes.We broke it in gently staying out of 4th gear and up.no lugging and no overrevving. I put the 2 bottom rings in place with the expanded ring in the middle then I put in the cast ring(to my eyes) and then the top ring which had the same coating as the 2 oil rings. Is this proper? the Haynes picture wasn't very good and my dealer has no clymer edtion for that year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
For basic installation instructions, go here

http://www.powroll.com/tech_specs_bore.htm

It sounds like you did it right - only two things I would check,
1. Corrugated oil ring overlap
2. Piston in facing the right direction

Also, did you have the piston to cylinder clearance checked? In most cases when these little beasts start to smoke, the clearance is excessive (over .002") and the next size bore is required. Re-ringing doesn't help much.

Another thing to look at is that it may not be the piston/rings causing the smoking problem. Did you also replace valves and check guides at the same time? If not, these may be the culprit.

Hope this helps you out.

ditchrider

Jun 20, 2001
Thanks DualSportr for the reply and the link.It answered all my questions. I had the cyl rebored .010 over and installed a new piston the right way. I think I'll let my son ride his bike for awhile and then when the snow fly's I ripp it all apart and recheck things. Hopefully by then I'll have the proper specs for the valve and guide measurements as well. Jim out

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Generally speaking, if it smokes on decell,(going down a hill w/the throttle off), that would indicate valves/guides need replacing. And if its smoking will under power (compression), that indicates a problem in the rings/cyl.

147leeman

May 27, 2000
Just did a top end job on an xr200 today. Per Wiseco's instructions bike will
smoke if the corrugated ring is overlapped. I would check this along with
piston/cylinder clearance and ring end gap. The other posts here
are very helpful.

Top Bottom