MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I thought I'd start this new thread for everyone's ride report from this weekend's Rites of Spring. I'll add my own tonight when I'm home and have more time. Let's all give ole' Woodsy something he can sink his teeth into, which would be almost as good as a Freddie Burger!

Speaking of Freddie Burger, I had to leave this little tidbit here, I know Fred would get a special treat out of this:

During dinner last night, I asked Emily if she had a good time this weekend. I of course got a resounding "YES". I then asked her if she wanted to do another CCC Ride this year. She thought about it a minute then said "I only want to go if Fred goes. He makes great burgers!" True story Fred! :thumb:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Allrightythen! I suppose I'll start it off with my report!

We got up there around 7:45, I believe, on Friday night. We quickly set up camp and unloaded the bikes, hoping to make it to sound check by 8:00. My bike lit up after a few kicks, but quickly died. I tried to start it again, no luck. Changed the spark plug, no luck. Finally we check the air box and, of course, the dreaded "rag in the air box" strikes again! Unfortunately we weren't able to make it to sound check. We finished setting up camp and hung out the rest of the night.

Saturday morning I arose bright & early (with a little poking and prodding :p ) and took my bike to sound check, where they took one look at my bike and told me I was all set, and then I got all registered up. Then it was time to hit the trail!

The weather was darn near perfect, probably around 50 degrees when we started. The dirt was soft and tacky after being soaked with rain the night before. No dust and no mud. Throughout the ride I was able to stay near the back without actually being the last guy in line, which is usually a difficult task for me being the spodely guy that I am. Saturday though, along with Sunday, I was able to keep myself out of the back. I felt good and, apparently, I was riding good. I practiced standing on the pegs more along with keeping my speed up through corners. I also worked on accelerating more rather than just crusing and coasting like I usually have done. The KDX made it easy, though; it's lighter and more maneuverable than my XR was, and it was so easy to flick around. My favorite part of riding it is when I accelerate out of corners; all I have to do is point my front wheel in the direction I want it to go, twist the throttle, and the back end slides right into place. And if I ever need to stop in a hurry, no problem! It's so nice to have a bike that does exactly what I need it to!

Anyway, it seemed like no time at all before we made it to our first gas stop, 20 miles (and 10,000 whoops) into the ride. I gassed up and snacked on some crackers, cheese, and salami that we brought along. After maybe 15 minutes we got back on the trail. About 15 miles later (approximately 7,500 whoops) Young Ted, Rob (MWEISSEN'S friend from work), and I reached the "Orange Cutoff" at the top of the loop. We could either choose whether we wanted to ride the 14 mile (I think) loop or just 2-track it across and ride 3 miles more trail to the second gas stop. We didn't know which way the faster guys in our group went, so we decided to hit the 2-track and wait at the junction. Shortly after we got there we decided it might be a good idea to ride to the truck, just in case the other guys took the cutoff and were going to wait for us at the truck. Nobody was at the truck. Young Ted and INCA volunteered to go back along the trail in the treacherous wrong direction and brave the oncoming traffic to go back to the junction and wait for the other guys there. 10 minutes went by--nothing. MiScott and his buddy (I never caught his name) showed up. 20 minutes. The other group who was waiting at the gas stop for 1/2 hour for their other two buddies on KTMs took off, thinking they weren't going to show. 5 seconds after the last bike in their group disappeared into the woods, 2 KTMs pulled up in the exact spot that the other group and their green pickup truck just left from. "They said they'd be right here!" :eek: I explained the situation to them, needless to say they were pretty bummed out. 30 minutes. Now we're getting worried and confused. 40 minutes, and I see the 251 KTM 250EXC (Fred T's for all of you who don't know) pull out of the woods. They had been waiting in the other loop for us for a half hour! Pretty soon the rest of the pack rolls in. After consulting Mark we then find out that we had the wrong key for the lock that held the chain that kept all our gas cans safe from gas thieves. We discovered that we could get one can at a time just far enough out of the bed of the truck to fill up a bike. "Line 'em up!" :laugh: Mark and Rob carefully loaded their bikes into the truck, their ride was over for the day.

Then it was on to the rest of the ride. Still perfect traction despite the 1,000,000 whoops, we rode the last 40 miles and called it a day. The trip meter on my TrailTech read 75 miles. Fred T burgers, Marlinberg jalepeno taco dip, and Sally's brownies with Cool Whip made for a great dinner and then a roaring campfire to gather around (complete with S'mores), made it a good night! Just about everybody decided to turn in for the night, only Sparkey, Erin and I still remaining, Smit-Dog & family along with some friends (who were all staying in the cabins on the other side of the campground) pull up. D'oh! I stayed up and hung out with them for a while until I nearly fell asleep.

END OF PART I

Last edited:

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
PART II

Sunday morning's breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, muffins, and donuts was just the wake-up call I needed (along with more poking and prodding). We gear up on a SUNNY morning and head out for another whooped-out day. Perfect traction yet again, 45 degrees. Again, I felt at home on that bike. I was ripping around, having a ball about 25 miles into our ride, when ZIIINNGGG! Sparkey was ON THE GAS and flew past me. Not long afterward, I see a green heap ahead of me. :ohmy: Sparkey's KDX was on its side, and Sparkey was lying motionless on his back about 3 feet from it. Luckily he was all right, and just making sure he was all in one piece before attempting to move too much. Apparently one of those 800,000,000 whoops sent him soaring into a tree. Mark pulled up shortly after and helped get his handguard re-adjusted, and I rode ahead to let the rest of the group know that everything was OK.

Young Ted met us with his van at the gas stop (the same place Rob & I sat for 40 minutes the day before) and we all gassed up and snacked on some more crackers, cheese, and salami. Sparkey loaded up, being cautious not to hurt himself that day. After a 15 minute gas stop, we headed back out. Around the 45th mile of our trip and after 100,000,000,000,000 whoops, I was getting a little tired and I bobbled a bit on some tree roots and smacked my right handguard on a tree, then headfirst into another tree. :| I settled down after that and just tried to make it back in one piece. The whoops seemed about 15' high toward the end of the trail, even though they were probably 4'-5'. My spine felt like a slinky, but I kept going. Finally we arrived back at Whiskey Creek. My TrailTech read 65 miles. A shower and a change of clothes later we loaded up, and the Smit-clan shows up with a birthday cake for Erin! We were all enjoying the much-needed sugar when a mysterious figure appears on the horizon. Woodsy!

And that's where I'm going to leave it...my arm pump from all those whoops is coming back to haunt me... :laugh:

Last edited:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Working sign up, I didn't get much hand cramping so I'll chip in here whilst the others recuperate. Arrived Thursday night, caught up with the crew (Capitol Chapter and mucky mucks in CCC) to make sure we were on target. Putting on an event of this scale and scope is quite a bit of work if you can imagine. Word was we were in good shape, no last minute snafus that anyone knew of. Bill asked me to take a couple of the NOHVCC guys for a ride on Friday, so now I had something to do prior to working sign up. Shot the bull with a couple GLDS members for a while and called it a night.
Friday rolled around and I had a couple more club members swing by looking to see if there was any riding needing to be done. As luck would have it, only one of them was ready to roll. We went down to hook up with Steve and Roy who turned out to be eating breakfast yet.
Side note - plenty of electric sites available if you get there Thursday, they weren't all hogged until mid-afternoon on Friday.
The three riders heading out with me were very experienced riders, so we kept up a decent pace. Plan was to run the 2005 A loop to see if anything works out on our planned ride. Due to time contraints, we only ran 1/3 of it and did find a number of things that need changed. One of the two-tracks were were going to use was flooded to the points that even I turned around; ok - I was only concerned for the riders with me getting drowned. We picked up the funner half of the 04 A loop and giggled our way through some fantastic snowmobile trail and dim-grassy two tracks. Made it back to camp before the rain started (2 ish).
Watched them do kids training in the rain (brr).
I didn't catch the numbers but I think they put quite a number of kids through training; like 100+. Also didn't catch total event sign up numbers, but I know we were mid-800 as I had an 817 on the DS sheet. 91 were running Dual Sport. Not bad numbers given the poor weather predicted.
Friday night was sign up; almost felt sorry for the guys doing sound check in the down pour. My booth is the catch-all information area and anyone that went through sign up wandered past my corner (dual sport corner). Things went well; same for Saturday. I napped for half the afternoon on Sat; surprising how much working sign up will tax you. I also need to thank Keith and Shannon for working the DS booth with me, they (as always) were a great help.
It was nice to meet FredT and almost meet Smit-Dog. Sorry to teach your kids new words, Fred, don't know what I was thinking. For the record, Fred introduced himself as he was in front of my booth waiting to get through the line; I exclaimed "no sh|*" nice to meet you, etc and then he "these are my kids" pointing to the future leaders of our sport standing on either side of him. Heh, sorry.
I made it to the CCC meeting Sat night. Hadn't made one prior. Good stuff. Glad I went as I was presented with Cycle Conservationist of the Year from the CCC. Pretty neat!
Finally made it back on the bike Sunday afternoon as I went to pick our geocaching stashes in the surrounding areas. Shannon had planted them Friday for Dual Sport riders that wanted something "extra" to do. From the tracks, it didn't appear that we had much participation.

I'll close with a question:
What did you think of the off-road trail map(s) handed out at sign-up? Any better/worse than previous years?

We are hoping to improve them for next year by putting "markers" at major intersections, including marking that spot on the trail, with you are here, it's x miles to gas, x miles to the next point. Help people figure out where they are more easily.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
One more thing -
There were no whoops on the DS courses. Mud though. One friend stuck his XR650L that required 5(!) guys to unstick it.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
2TrakR-

In case you didn't know, I'm Fred T's son...don't worry about it, it's not like that word is new to my ears :laugh:. Besides, I'm officially an adult (20) so it's no big deal.

The whoops were plentiful and tiring, but what can you expect with all that traffic? All in all it was a great ride and a great weekend. Thanks to you and everybody else that helped organize this awesome weekend!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Wow! Great write-up Fender! You are REALLY starting to smoke on that KDX. About 3 more rides and you'll be up on your Dad's rear fender!

I just have a few tidbits to add:

Thanks for bringing up the wrong-key thing with the gas! D'oh!! Boy, did that one hurt (not your comment, my move on bringing the wrong key!). If I ever do a gas stop again (I think you guys all voted me off that duty permanently didn't you?), just ask me if I grabbed the GOLD key!

What you all don't know, and I have to admit because I'm just an honest-type of guy, is that I took a WRONG TURN when going to 32nd Street to park the truck in the first place. I ended up at M-55 before realizing it! :eek: Rob and I were going about 75 down dirt roads trying to make up the time. I had my truck in a couple 4-wheel slides, that thing did pretty good! Now you all know why it took so long for Rob and I to get back!

The first day rides was whoop-city! With our late start, almost all of the 600 other riders had their chance to stir the dirt.

Half-way through the ride we hit the south-west corner of the Little O loop, which contains some of my favorite trail (pretty new stuff put in last year I think - nice and tight!). I was feeling pretty good, boogeying along at what I thought was a really good pace, when WHOOSH!! off goes Fred T. Freddie, you are getting to be one blazingly-fast dude! :worship: If I was still 20 or so, I'd take it as a challenge and would've taken off and wadded up on a tree or something, but being an old fart now, I just kept on going, admiring the fact that another old fart can still put the pedal to the metal! :thumb:

I was really touched by INCA and Young Ted to join our group to give me a hand should I have petered out. Fortunately I did better than I thought I would've and he got to enjoy the day riding with us. Thanks ver much Ted! I'll never forget that.

I enjoyed the rest of the Little O loop, and got back to my truck only to find the group giving me the evil eye on the gas issue. Not really, everyone was really gracious, although I'm sure there were some thoughts of justified homocide going on! We got the gas anyway. My friend Rob had enough, and initially I felt like letting him take the truck and continuing to ride, but then felt kind of dizzy and decided I'd better take the memories I built and head on back.

Once back a nice hot shower in the Toybox was in order. The wife had put in 14 gallons of water in the storage tank just for me to take the shower. Thanks Motomarie!

Several leg cramps later the rest of the crew showed up, most of them looking as fresh as when they started out, especially Vman. He looked like he was ready for another loop!

Freddie burgers and everyone's addition of salads, dips, veges and sugary things were really to me the hit of the whole weekend. Nobody left hungry! Michman must be able to smell those burgers from a mile away. Fred just started cooking them, and he pulls in on his 50!

Later the boys from Enduro Engineering/Lansing Cycle pull up to do the night ride, including one of them on a new KTM Adventure. What a sweet sounding bike! I spent a few minutes salivating over that thing, I've GOTTA get a test ride in. My wife won't let me though, 'cause she knows I'd have one in a heartbeat.

On to Sunday....

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Sunday was the reverse loop of Saturday with a little bit removed. I had missed the southern loop because I cut my ride short, and found that this was certainly some of the best part of the trail. It wasn't quite as whooped out because I'm sure a lot of the 600 riders on Saturday cut their loop short, so this area didn't see as much use. The first half of the loop was pretty fast, and we were at Young Ted's van in and hour and a half or so. First down was Sparkey, who had enough of putting the bike down and knew when enough was enough. Good move Sparkey, better safe than sorry.

On to Branch, where Tom, the sole MX dude from Lansing Cycle, called it quits from too many loops. He rode really well, and may even take up woods riding (maybe...). Watching him on that 300 convinced me that a new 300 is NOT the way to go, rather if I get a new bike (hopefully) it'll be another 250. I still felt pretty good so kept on going, getting a word of encouragement from Vman, Young Ted and Michman.

Whew!!! The rest of the trail was a whoop-fest like Saturday, only worse! My knee, sore from the day before, really began to complain, so I had to go into sit-in-the-seat-and-roll mode every couple of minutes to calm it down. Man, I hope I don't have to get that knee worked on again! Geez!

After the ride, we packed up the kids and wifey and headed home. I'll tell ya what, that was a quiet ride home! Even Gilmore the dog was snoring. I enjoyed the quiet just re-living the favorite sections of trail, thanking the Good Lord for letting me be with friends and enjoying the time together. Thanks everyone for a great-great weekend!!!!

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
MWEISSEN said:
Wow! Great write-up Fender! You are REALLY starting to smoke on that KDX. About 3 more rides and you'll be up on your Dad's rear fender!
Thank you, thank you, and YEAH RIGHT! :eek:

V-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 13, 2000
What the others have already said about the trail is true. The weather was also fine for our moto-adventures. But what sticks out in my mind was the great people that we got to hang around for the weekend. Fred T and family, Sparky & Nathan, the Mweissen clan ,70 Marlin family and our rig formed a "wagon train circle" that had awsome food and great fun. Having Young Ted spend the weekend with our group was indeed an honor. He's such a giving person and a talented rider, we all could learn alot from him. And our special guests that wandered in our camp from time to time- Michman, Smit-dog and family, MiScott, Alan Randt, Brooks from KTM (forgive me for the names I can't recall) etc,etc. Thanks to all that made the weekend a wonderful time!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
In addition to all the great comments and storys I'll add that I had a great weekend. I thank all that showed up and got to ride together. I am typing with an ice pack on my arm and a smile on my face as I think about all the good times we had. It's not just about the trail ride but the hanging out with good people, sharing a meal together, a campfire and stealing a few of Sparkeys beers to kill the pain. I love dirt biking and it's nice to be able to share it with my whole family. I know they all had a great time and every year it just seems to get better and better. Thanks everyone for a lotta fun! :thumb:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Allright that is it. Next year I an coming up for the weekend. Just gotta find someone to bring to hang out with my kid while I ride with all you fine folk.

A night ride with the Lansing cycle folk! I am drooling at the thought of it.

1350CFM

Feb 25, 2004
I'm sorry to say I missed the ROS, But we do plan on making up our lost weekend real soon. Will the trail remain whooped out? At what point does the Big O/Little O get smoothed out a bit? Will it be groomed any time soon?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
2trakr, I can only imagine what goes into the logistics of putting an event like the Rites of Spring together. Every time I do an MCCCT ride, I'm thankful for people like you and the other people that can put time into the CCC and Michigan trail system for the best trail system in the US, if not the world.

I gotta ask (don't mean to change the subject), next year, if all things go positive, I plan on having either a BMX R1200GS or a KTM 950 Adventure. How would these bigger bikes do on the typical MCCCT dual sport ride? These won't replace my dirt bikes, but rather my road bike.

By the way, the maps used this year for the ROS were pretty good. The crossings, mileage and relative time would be great additions. It would also be good to mark the road crossings on the trail. We came upon one rider that had an injury that required attention. We were at a crossing but weren't sure of the road name. That would've assisted in getting him help soon.

Fred, sounds like that arm is really getting multi-colored by now. I hope it heals OK for you!

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
17th Rites of Spring # 3 for the Marzec’s
Saturday
Decided to leave early Saturday morning 4:30 am (make note leave Friday!) made it to Whiskey Creek by 8:45am not to bad? Just in time to see everybody geared up and getting ready to head out. Unloaded bikes and off to sound check. 02 berg passes with flying colors, 96 kawi kdx they passed it with out even testing. 99 kawi kdx Fails sound check. Oow crap what to do? Burned up quickly to the leisure sport trailer to buy some packing for the TCII there all sold out. (Make Note Buy extra packing to keep on hand for emergencies) So back to the campsite, swipe stock silencer / spark arrester off 96 & stick on 99, back to sound check, and it passes. (I would normal never do this but stuff happens) I get all signed up, dressed, fuel the bikes send wife off to the wrong gas stop, with all of the fuel and money! With the 99 kdx failing sound check and all, I failed to look closely @ the map, crap! I sent my wife to Baldwin. So we hit the trail almost last. But no big deal Aaron leading Josh next then I’m sweep. Making great time having a blast on the whoops! (Hey I’m sadistic) we cruise in to Branch and one of the Capital Chapter Guy’s tell me you better fuel up? I say my wife is just up the trail @ Baldwin at the first gas stop? He informs me that It’s the last stop this year! Crap stuck in Branch with no gas or money. The Capital Chapter gives me $2. What a Guy, so into the store for fuel “WERE OUT OF FUEL” Crap! So I sweet-talk the nice lady into calling the Wesco station in Baldwin. My wife get on the phone I’ll bail you out again. So Josh bails to the truck as pre arranged. (Young rider) I only loose about an hour. Aaron and I head for the top of the loop riding like the wind! Aaron fell down just before the orange cut off and twists his ankle, but still rides on! We pull into Baldwin gas stop and the MI Trail rider’s crew is they’re getting ready to leave. My wife gets a couple pics’s of them and then they’re off. I quickly adjust the chain on the Berg and Aaron fuels her. “Aaron bails for the truck because of his sore ankle.” I’m on my own riding like the wind driven, possessed making time quickly. I’m about five minutes behind the MTR’s @ this point the trail seems to smooth out. (the whoop are only 3' deep) I ride none stop the rest of the loop. Like a man possessed and loving it! I would of Caught the MTR. But I missed the last right turn off the black top road and ended up @ Dickerson rd & 13th Ave.? So I back track to the turn off. (The arrows were awful low this year?) I finished of the trail racing two different groups of riders. Both groups having to stop and rest. Still riding possessed I keep going. Both of the groups were great rides! Wished I had gotten their names? Made it back in one piece no major get offs. I rode longer harder and faster than ever before. The trail tech read 88 mile (wheel size is off) Get back to the camp set up camper & make camp. Make taco dip for up coming Fast Freddie burger feast! A table that looked as if Royalty was being served! A feast fit for King’s & Queens. Conversation was very good, telling lies about how fast and the feats of amazement’s, that I did. (Bench racing) Fred, Ted, Nathan, Mark, Maria, Bill, Randy, Sparky (Sparky thanks for the Beer) Napper and the LC crowd we were all having a good time. The wind was blowing hard and cold. Fred’s fire was perfect, his best one. Your ban is lifted in my eyes.
Sunday Hung out around the pool & hot tub to nurse arms that I couldn’t lift. Took my daughter for ride on back of berg, did the kids loop. Packed up camper. Had some of Erin’s birthday cake and some more of Ted’s rum cake. I was saying some good byes. Woodsy, roller-skated up to the camper? (A car so small I thought it was molded around him) I tell some more lies about how fast and the feats of amazement’s, that I did. (Bench racing) Say good bye’s again to all and back to Jackson.

Last edited:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
If there are words that can cover my thoughts, I don't know what they are. The easiest for me to do is to give a simple but from the heart - Thank You. A small tibit on the way home. I followed Woodsy down the back roads and at a stop sign, he gets out and walks to the front of his car, bends over to pick up a nail and show it to me. Of course he got the same reaction as on the trail a few weeks ago. Never a dull moment. What a shame that so many go through life without living. As for me, I'm having a ball and no end in sight. May you all take care and ride to ride again.
From a very grateful Young Ted

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
One more note of thanks. Michman, I'll always remember our conversation in front of the KTM booth. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know, "no worries"! :thumb:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to write these GREAT reports!! As most of you know, I am getting to experience riding from the bench for a while and I am finding out first hand how IMPORTANT it is to do trail reports!! PLEASE keep up the good work!!
It was GREAT to see you guys and hear the war fibs - I mean stories :) ..
As soon as I can I will do a "Woodsy Report" with pics!!
Young Ted, I LAUGHED all the way home about that nail.. THAT WAS AN AMAZING COINCEDENT - for those of you who dont get it, read a few of my most recent reports and you will!!!!
Till we meet again :thumb:
Woodsy

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
woodsy said:
Young Ted, I LAUGHED all the way home about that nail.. THAT WAS AN AMAZING COINCEDENT - for those of you who dont get it, read a few of my most recent reports and you will!!!!

Is this it?

woodsy said:
Now we head out for a hard day on the trail. In the lead where he should be is Woodsy riding Kadie, followed by Larry (the General) riding his CR250, Young Ted on INCA and (the Lieutenant) Randy on his XR200.
I had warned Young Ted ahead of time about the type of riding we did (cross country). All of us were shocked at how quickly he caught on to our game. That being, lets all pick on Woodsy. We got up onto the entrance of the South Loop of Horseshoe Lake and I looked down on the trail and saw a NAIL laying in the trail – NO KIDDING. I stopped, picked it up and showed it to the guys. Now you would think that an act of spotting a NAIL laying in the dirt while riding a KX500 would mean you are some kind of AWESOME dude or something. Not with these yo-yo’s!! Larry and Randy started teasing me - no thanks from either of them losers – but Ted, I couldn’t believe what he did. He says, HEY WOODSY – YOU FOUND THE NAIL, NOW HERES THE FINGER and he flips me off – he learns fast!!
I assume by now some of you are asking where the name Father Nelson comes from. Well Ted, I AM GOING TO TELL THEM ALL – HAHAHA, sucker, the jokes on YOU!! I had just got done explaining to the group why I ride so slow (bad back) when Young Ted says “I have a cure”. First he gets behind me and puts his arm on my shoulder and says to Randy and Larry – whats this – they answer – a Half Nelson. Then he puts his other arm on my other shoulder and says “and this” – they answer – Full Nelson. Then he pokes my leg with a stick about 1 inch long and ¼ in in diameter and says – this is Father Nelson. They all laughed, I didn’t though cause my back still hurts!! Not much of a healer that Father Nelson, but he tried…

:laugh:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
YESSIREEE Fender - that would be it... Funny thing, Father Nelsons response when we were on the road coming home from ROS was EXACLTY the same as on the trail that day!! What is with that guy? Does he have a problem with his middle finger on his right hand?? He sure seems to use it alot when he is around me.....
Apparently he doesnt know that I am keeping a "roost book" to refer back to when I get off this couch :)

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
The one that finds the nail is the problem. The other is simply a natural reaction.
There is no way to get off that couch when you are a fellow member of INCA - International Nut Case Association. For Mr. Nappers information this was founded by Mr. & Mrs. del Solar in 1928.
Keep your memory and thinking sharp Nathan. You're doing fine now.

michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
Well Woodsey Here is my first attempt of a ride report. Please forgive for any spelling and grammer errors. Well left the LC/EE compound at 2:00 with the Orange fury(Al) Brooks from KTM just meet him and myself. Following Al he thought he knew of a short cut which add about a hour of drive time but we finally made it. Find Phil Morrison from the CCC by the way a great guy and the Pres. of the Lansing Chapter CCC if you get a chance thank him. Any ways set up our little compound find or little love cabin and go back to the trucks chatted with some people and realize its about 9:00 better get to the lodge and get some food. Well they were done serving. I said well let's head on over to the MTR wagon train and see if the have any left overs. Well V-man took us in Side show Sal was off the circus circuit for the weekend and made us some nacho dip and rice. Our Little Freddy cook us some burgers and we were well feed and by the way Sal Al is still talking about the brownies. So that was mouch #1 for food. Off to bed.

Saturday mourung was the perfect day for riding cloudy and in the mid 50's. The Orange Fury bought the bike he is riding team in some 24 hr HS but the kicker is I did the suspension the day before and that was the only prep work that had been done. So I, The Fury and Brooks took about a hour get the bike ready. So we are alll on 250 exc's 2 stroke and the betting has started. Al said he can get 75 mi on a stock tank and pretty boy Brooks yeah no problem. And I knew no way that I can even make 60 mi. Well we take off and Brooks just goes like a mad man so I already know that I have his dollar in my pocket. The first time ever in my life of riding I am not using the power valve to save as much gas as possible. So the three of us are just kinda of floating along the trail hitting the one or two whoops along the way Al and brooks well ahead of me. We first stop at about 40 mi in everyone still not on reserve. We get going again we came upon a group Al and Brooks got ahead of everyone just before the trail started again however I got stuck behid to riders that thought we were at a GNCC and refuse to let me by. I found a short cut got around the two guys and off to try to get with in a couple minutes of Al and Brooks. Well I must of pissed someone off with that move. Because I caught up to Al and passed him only because he got stuck on a long off the trail. While this is happening I go on reserve so I slow right down trying to conserve as much fuel as possible. I heard some guys coming up I get over and this guy use's me as a berm, I didn't think much of it a first until the road crosing he slam;s into me again crossing the road. I stop with Brooks and AL comes and said thanks because some guy was running into the back of him to say his buddies were a bunch *&*&%*%. Oh well I never really intended to ruin this guy's day. Any way Brooks and I we both now reserve. Al still going at 60 mi. I was the first to run out of gas at 63 mi the Brooks at 66mi. We both took gas from Al's tank and kept going. I get to a road crossing first stop a waited no sound. Finally to guys came up I ask if they seen anyone back there. Yep I think they are out of gas. In the Mean time I make friends with the people doing the road crossing the remember me for some reason from LC they were nice enough to give me gas some Gatorade then I took the Gatorade put gas in it and off I went to help my two buddies, The both ran out of gas with in 100 feet of each other. Gave them the gas back to the road we went the got some more gas. Made it back to the campground with no futher strange events. Al made it to 74 mi before he totally ran out of gas. So he is now one dollar richer.

Back to the MTR wagon train for dinner for mouch #2 thanks eveyone for a great dinner. Then off to the night ride. It was Al on his xr 100 and helmet light. BV on Al's 24 hr bike with a 110 watt light on the bike plus helmet light. Brooks on the 950 Adventure with street tires. Myself on crf 150 with just a helmet light. Let me tell you my stomach still hurts fro laughing so hard. It started out with BV leading and Al pass's him on his xr 100(while he is doing this he looks like a little angry circus monkey possess but the devil trying to catch him) I am right behid All when Brooks is using the flash to pass on the 950 to let us know he is coming though. Brooks makes the pass and then uses his turn signal that a hard right is coming up. Let me say the whole ride is like this we are all doing battle with each other the whole time. Brooks lays the big 950 down in a mud hole and I about run in the back of him but I am laughing to hard to help him out. Also I was trying to put the pass on the little angry monkey on a high speed sweeper I wipe out and jut miss Al. Had a good laugh at that one. Finally got back about 11:30 to the trucks.

Day 2 report tomorrow.

Napper
Team PTP Mechanic and current standing member

No problem Mark
No worries

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Man, you guys covered this ride report from end to end!

It was great seeing everyone and getting to meet Sparkey and Young Ted. I really enjoyed the ride, my longest ever, without a crash, bobble, napper shroud shreddin. But I gotta tell ya the "fountain of youth" wore off on Sunday morning. FreddyT are ya with me? Them 600's work wonders :joke:

Nate, great ride report on the "Whoops of Spring"! I'm still seeing those maneaters in my sleep.

Nobody commented on Buff Billy....man, that 200 suits him well!

Mark, good seeing you in great spirits and some very fine riding. Thanks for looking after my bike and tell Motomarie I enjoyed talking with her as well.

Hope to see y'all on the next ride...which will not be next year.

Top Bottom