Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
OK, it's time to start thinking of the MTR Reunion Ride. The CCC puts on a ride every spring on the west side which we will now refer to as ROS (Rites of Spring) I know the good folks at Lansing Cycle have some sponsership again this year so stories of filling bikes from each other to make it to gas, nite time trail riding, and big 950 adventures on the trails may be happeing again. ay never know. I plan to get on that night ride this year on the XR 100 but I need a helmet light.

I have like a million hot dogs in the freeser left from the rained out trail fest that I'll bring and grill up on Sat night for eny one that wants one, or two or three. They're oretty big. I'll get buns and toppings for them too. I'll be in our usual spot with the family sometime on Friday.

I was thinking that we could try to get an early start Saturday morning for the big ride, try to get the gas truck located maybe Fri night so we can get an early start - we can use my enclosed trailer to keep things secure if you want.

The Sat ride will be like 90 miles with a cut off where we can all meet up for those not into that long of a ride.

On Sunday I want to do a "family style ride" and take my daughter out on the trail, they usually have a shorter loop on Sunday but I'd like to make sure she has soime fun too and not just stuck on the kids loop all weekend. Hey, she the Family Enduro Series Class champion so she knows how to "git-r-done" So any one wanting to bring the kids, wifes etc can go on that ride. Bill and Zach, Randy and Sally, Tonya Badgerman, ???? I think that loop is like 50-60 miles.

I'm sure Smitdog-WURX can attach the map to the camping spot to this thread.

SO WHO'S GOING? :ride:

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
For those looking for a shorter loop, the bad news is that the Anthony Road cut-off is not in the picture again this year. Road commission had "safety concerns" using it. Uh yeah.
The regular kids loop will most likely be shorter than years past due to the regulatory issues we hit last year.
Dual Sport courses won't be as cool either as the USFS is being very selective on which roads we can use (19 areas according to my notes). Still decent, but not near as nice as was planned.

Don't forget the fees went up this year by a couple bucks for CCC events.

Other than that, looking forward to another great event!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well I am planning on being there with my 8yr old son. I doubt that I can get my wife to come out there with me. Which means that I will be somewhat hampered by my son and may not be able to ride the big loop on Saturday or Sunday. Its all good though. Just being there with my kid is fun enough.

Be warned. My kid is on the verge of a growth spirt. and as such is eating like a horse. His favorite food of choice. You guessed it. Hot Dogs. Him and Woodsy are gona be fighting for a place in line for the dogs I can see it now.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
jeremy

If you get any more details on loops and mileages that would be cool. Mark may even be interested in your dual sport loop if he gets that four fiddy plated in time.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Well... Alrighty then!

General Info
• Hosted by the Capitol Chapter, located @ Whiskey Creek Resort, near the town of Baldwin, MI.

• Must be a CCC member (available at sign up).

• Must have Michigan 2005 ORV sticker (also available at sign up).

• Highly recommend getting CCC membership and ORV stickers well before ROS to save time waiting in lines.

• Must meet spark and sound requirements (94db).

• Safety training and certification classes available for new riders (separate kids and adult classes).

• The resort includes a restaurant, ice cream parlor, indoor pool, jacuzzi, and sauna.

• Limited RV hookups available (in a busy, crowed, dusty area). Think trailer park. Without the trees or wide open spaces.

• It can get nippley cold at night. Bring a heater, date, or both. Napper's been known to spoon after a couple of pops, but V-Man's RV keeps you free from guilt.

• The term "Hot Dog" belies the size and taste of these Fred T delicacies. You don't want to miss savoring one of these bad boys after 60 miles of whoops.

Link-O-Rama
-> ROS Event Info (PDF)

-> ROS Camping Info (PDF)

-> CCC Event Page

-> Buy ORV Stickers Online

-> Whiskey Creek Web Site

-> Bird's Eye View Map

-> Pics from 2003 ROS

-> Pics from 2004 ROS

Directions
• From I-75, take US-10 west towards Ludington. In the small town of Custer, turn left (south) onto Custer Road. Go approximately 9 miles south on Custer Road to Sippy Road, then turn left (east) onto Sippy. Go 2-1/2 miles east on Sippy Road (dirt road) to Whiskey Creek Resort. The resort will be on your left (north side).

• From Grand Rapids, take M-37 north to US-10, go west and follow previous directions.

Desperately Seeking Mature Singletracker
Non-smoking MWF w/ 3 well-mannered kids, seeking '03-'04 Yamaha TTR-125 LE for fun and friendship in the woods of Michigan. Beaters and Pitbikes need not apply. Send discreet picture for same. ;)

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=112790

:aj:

Last edited:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:
If you get any more details on loops and mileages that would be cool. Mark may even be interested in your dual sport loop if he gets that four fiddy plated in time.

Yup! That's my plan! Trail one day, dual sport the next :laugh:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:
General Info
Non-smoking MWF w/ 3 well-mannered kids, seeking '03-'04 Yamaha TTR-125 LE for fun and friendship in the woods of Michigan. Beaters and Pitbikes need not apply. Send discreet picture for same. ;)

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=112790

:aj:

Let's help out our buddy's wife, guys! Start looking!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T said:
I was thinking that we could try to get an early start Saturday morning for the big ride, try to get the gas truck located maybe Fri night so we can get an early start - we can use my enclosed trailer to keep things secure if you want.SO WHO'S GOING? :ride:

I'll know the end of March if all systems are GO for riding again, gotta go back to Mayo for scans and pokes. I don't forsee a problem though, so I'm in.

We can use my truck, on two conditions:
1. Someone else has to go with me to make sure I don't take a "shortcut":coocoo:

2. I'm not allowed to use padlocks and chains
:rotfl:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
General Info
Non-smoking MWF w/ 3 well-mannered kids, seeking '03-'04 Yamaha TTR-125 LE for fun and friendship in the woods of Michigan. Beaters and Pitbikes need not apply. Send discreet picture for same.
Bill, check with KTM Mike, he was looking to sell his a while back...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Ya... I would have bought Mike's TTR, but it didn't have the happy-button. You see, when my wife's in the woods, stalled on the side of a hill, I want her to be happy.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
You see, when my wife's in the woods, stalled on the side of a hill, I want her to be happy.

Cause we all know...When the wives arn't happy.... Then nobody is gonna be happy.... :rotfl:

V-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 13, 2000
Freddy,
Yup, Sal and I are planning on ROS again. Always a good time. Smit-dog, funny you should mention the electric start Yam, we were at the dealer Friday and Sal pointed out the e-button. Will it ever end? :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Smit-Dog said:
General Info
Non-smoking MWF w/ 3 well-mannered kids, seeking '03-'04 Yamaha TTR-125 LE for fun and friendship in the woods of Michigan. Beaters and Pitbikes need not apply. Send discreet picture for same. ;):aj:

What happen to the little KX? Sounded like a blast!

My side kicks (Matt w/ 04 KTM 450 EXC) and my self have been kicking around a few Idea's about Saturdays ride and gas plans also. Last year they rode into Branch first. The loop was rode CCW. They had I think was a yellow cut off, which knocked like 20 miles off the big loop. I think it was up on the end of the little O loop? The Year before they rode first into Baldwin (CW). My friend’s wife is sort of new to the sport also. She's a real trooper but is only good for like 30 to 40 miles. I think we’re either going to park a truck in either Baldwin or Branch for gas and drop off of wives & kids. We may still need to stash a gas can? There may be room for extra bikes and riders to get back to the camp ground? I going to try to do the 100 mile loop! :coocoo: Jeremy do you know which way there riding it this year?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hey I just thought of something. I dont know if this works out for a gas stop. But my Cabin is just 1 mile south of the trail on Landon Road near Branch. You could drop off some gas cans there if needed. Just an idea. you would technicaly need to be platted to get there. But it is a very remote dirt road sooo..........

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
I'll be going, and I am counting the days.

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
I'll be there, with my buddy Ron and possibly 1-3 more.

I'm planning on getting there by noon on Friday.
Anyone planning a Friday ride?

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Double-check with the CCC (or 2TrakR can chime in) to see if all permits are in effect for riding on Friday. I believe that last year the permits were only good for Saturday and Sunday.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
But if you have a plate on your bike you dont need a permit. You can go where you want.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Ah, three correct answers in a row, worth repeating and adding to:
Permits are only for Sat/Sun, if bike no platey, no ridey all over on Friday.
If you have a plate, you can ride.
If you have just an ORV sticker you can ride IF you trailer to the trail from Whiskey Creek and then stay off the road sections.

I'd like to ask that everyone consider not riding on Friday, legal or not, as well as not "wandering off" during the event Sat/Sun onto other trails/areas. We're being watched like hawks & either of these items makes life more difficult for the event organizers.
We've been blamed for ATVs riding on county roads 5 miles south of Whiskey Creek (where no trail system is near) as well as other silly things so the less chance of anything outside of the permit happening the better.
Oh, and keep your stickers/tags/whatever they use this year on your bike that show you have signed up. Usually it's some fluorescent sticker on the throttle cable that is used. I know they are checking for this on the trail and are trying to crack down on free-loaders. I've read of one gent being harassed about this even though he signed up (he took said sticker off for whatever reason) and the only solution I know of is to keep that sticker on. I've been given the evil eye as well 'cause I don't have that sticker on and most of the Capitol Guys don't know who I am when geared up. I usually don't have the sticker on as I'm cutting course/sweeping/doing other outside permit things and don't want to be reported as an event participant for riding through [where ever] that was 10 miles from the approved course. Yeah, silly.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
FWIW, it would be a real nice bonus if the family/kids loop could be opened on Friday. I know you don't want a bunch of bikes ripping it up trying to get in a warm-up ride, so maybe all adults have to be accompanied by a kid. The reason is that I would like to take my wife and son out on a "get acquainted" ride before leaving them high-and-dry first thing Saturday morning.

I know that Fred T sent an e-mail to Chapin/CCC last year regarding this same request, but was told that it wasn't possible because permits weren't issued for Friday. What's the reason a permit couldn't be issued just for the kid's loop on Friday?

Thanks...

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
The permit is done and signed, no changing it now. That said, I think the kids loop was going to be all on private property this year, especially given last year's issues. If it is, then no permit applies to it & maybe it could be opened up.
The standard line on why no kids loop prior to Saturday, permits be damned, is two-fold. First is they do not mark 'em until Friday (not my idea) and second is they don't want the hotshots running that loop prior to the event. Short of manning the entrance to that loop with a club member, I don't know a good way to stop the latter concern.

A_train30

Jan 27, 2004
Looking for riders

My group is not going this year so I am looking for a couple people to ride with. If you know a group of guys that plan on riding let me know. Thanks
Anthony

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Fred T said:
.... I was thinking that we could try to get an early start Saturday morning for the big ride, try to get the gas truck located maybe Fri night so we can get an early start - we can use my enclosed trailer to keep things secure if you want.
With the kid's loop being closed on Friday, personally I'd prefer a later start on Saturday like last year. This would give me some time Saturday morning to get the family set up and pointed in the right direction regarding trails, bikes, gear, etc.

If by some miracle we can get up there by early evening Friday night, maybe some of this can be taken care of. But history dictates that with the kids in school, loading up, and a 4+ hour drive, we won't get up until late Friday night.

LC RM

Mar 23, 2005
Are newbies welcome at this ride I would be coming alone and looking to ride with someone. Anything I can bring.
Not sure how far I can go on gas is that a private gas truck or can I buy some about halfway.

Top Bottom