1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Tonight at my campfire a few buddies wanted to check out my bike... One of them sat on it in the garage and bounced up and down the suspension a few times, and we noticed it start dripping this milky looking oil. It was running right down from where the rear shock bolts to the swingarm, but I couldnt figure out if it was an overflow or what. The bike has never leaked any oil, and I read somewhat milky looking oil is just the clutch plates however it was a tad down on coolant. This kinda has me worried, as to where and why this oil was dripping out. Any ideas?

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
When oil turns milky, it's because of water contamination. Was the oil leaking from the rear shock, or the vent tube from the engine ? If it is from the vent tube, I sugest draining the transmission oil. If it comes out milky, then you have a worn water pump seal and possibly the bearings and the water pump shaft as well. If it's coming from the rear shock, this is very rare, infact I have never heard of such a thing, but you will probably have to get the rear shock re-built.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
How can i tell if it is water and not aluminum clutch particles? I just changed the oil about 3 hours of ride time ago. Thanks guys

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Water contamination shows up as milky oil,usually a light grey colour. If you had metal in the oil, it would show up as a silver metallic colour. The transmission oil would have a real bad burnt smell to it if you were having clutch plate issues.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Are there any good write ups on changing the seal? Thanks for the info, I am going to change my oil tomorrow and ride it again to see if any more coolant leaks out. I can almost feel when the oil gets contaminated because the clutch engagement gets harsh and it's harder to change gears.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i will suggest you the eric gorr's book "mx and off road performance handbook"
it has a LOT of information, and you can buy it directly in his web site.
also the service manual for your bike has detailed instruction how to fix that and lot more things... very valuable...

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You may have some serious clutch issues, or a coolant leak into the engine. Showing on the rear shock? Usually the vent for the tranny comes off the top of the cases, under the carb, and is vented via hose UNDER the bike. Is it possible that the rear shock is blown, and it got some water on it from riding?

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
it was the shock that blew out, changed the oil yesterday and it was barely even milky. Sucks though, the shock cost's like 50x more than a water pump seal!

Top Bottom