RMX 250 should I buy it?

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
I have an opportunity to buy a 1990 RMX 250 for $500 and I thought this might make a nice spare bike for friends to use. The only think is the owner took the bike apart to paint the frame and now claims he does not have time to put it back together. On top of that he pulled the head and says the piston needs to be replaced. Is this something to stay away from? If not what should I look for and is this a good price? I feel confident I could put the motorcycle back together. Thanks for your input.

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
problem with basket cases is many times parts are missing. It doesn't take a lot of trips to the parts store to make the deal lose it's sweetness. If you can do an inventory and everythings there it might be okay, but without riding the bike, you don't know what lies in wait. Like, what if the tranny is toast? I'd be pretty suspicious, but that's just me.

Mike.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
I'd give him $50 for it. That way you don't lose too much if it's junk. If it's ok then you got a great deal!!! I wouldn't pay $500 for it. Too risky.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What's the bike worth if it was running and well maintained? Probably only about $1,000 for a '90 RMX. Or you could get a comparable '89-'92 KDX that runs well for around $1,000. Personally, I would want a bigger than a $500 discount for the risk and time of taking on a basket case.

If it looks like all the parts are there and in good shape and he has a clear title, I think $200 - $300 would be fair. If you find out there is an unanticipated, expensive repair, you could still part it out and make that much (though you would still be out a bunch of your time).

BTW, parts on old bikes can be very expensive and hard to find - things like a bad CDI unit, worn out shock, shot suspension bearings, etc...can blow your budget and make you wish you had bought a runner.

If the seller thinks that your offer is too low, tell him your goal is a spare bike that runs. Give him your number and tell him you will pay a lot more than once he gets it running. He'll probably call you in a month with a reduced price, and the bike will be in the same shape as it is now.

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
I''ll go with db dave and say it's worth about $300.00 as is. I would base my decision to wether or not buy it on the skills I have to fix any problems I encounter like a bad trans, bad shock, leaking fork seals, etc. If you can fix most of it on your own, then go ahead, if not the repair bill may add up very quickly. A basket case is always an unknown quantity and once you pay for it it's your baby and yor risk.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Smells foul to me. If the bike is apart it's for a reason...and I'd have a hard time swallowing that it's just to paint the frame. 15 year old bike.....in pieces..... Walk away. You'll be sorry if you don't.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
:ohmy: This is great input and really helps confirm my fears and what the value of this bike is worth, which is not much. Thanks

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Id give him like $50... that way if its worthless you could part it out and probably make the $50 back on the frame alone on e b a y (why does that word get censored?).

Barkeater420

Mar 4, 2003
Go take a look for yourself.

I have made over 100% profit on a few basket cases even after paying $500+ for them and spending one all-nighter worth of work on 'em. Some were even older than 1990.

You know what is expensive if it has to be replaced and what is not, hopefully. You know what is required to make a bike work and what is not, hopefully. Plus there is always used parts available...though the RMX is kind of a strange and rare one-off of a bike...I'm not sure what on it is the same as the RM and what is not.

Take a look, only you can decide what it is worth for real and if everything is there, if the trans seems to work, frame is straight, shocks are blown or not, has all big parts and most of the small ones, etc. Better yet go read up on RMX 250's for the next couple days just so you know the biggest and most common potential issues.

Definitely don't go and give him $500 sight unseen just based upon what he says though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…