2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Certainly quite the turn out for the event and the weather held pretty good.
The USFS indicated they would be "out in force" during our meeting Friday AM and it sure looked like they were. We hadn't received official numbers, but the ticket rumor mill was in high gear. Note the DNR was not involved, this was all the USFS (not that the DNR are a bunch of roses).
The Forest Service didn't know, but we had permits for much of the county roads near the Resort opened for both days. That means there's a pretty good chance, for example, that the guy + 3 kids was actually LEGAL where he was given a ticket. This info was not communicated to the riders, for other reasons, but if anyone knows anyone who got a ticket, they should check with the CCC before paying it.

Didn't make the Sunday drawing, but heard Atlanta was mentioned as a possibility with the use of the fairgrounds as the hub. Im sure if we move RoS the turn out will decrease dramatically. Be nice to move to a county that has the roads open to help with the permit process. Kalkaska doesn't have a large enough area to hold that size of event, the 04 Color Tour "pushed the envelope" for a camping area. Still need a decent sized facility to hold the annual meeting as well... Ranch Rudolf used to be the place for RoS, but they are much too small for that event too. Rose City/Ogemaw County would be another option if we can partner with BentWheels and a couple local places to get the necessary room. This item would be a great one for discussion on another thread..

We had 112 Dual Sport sign ups; somewhere near 900 total (our permit was for 900 off-road plus 200 DS, so you won't be hearing exact totals).
Overall I think the event went off well.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
What about the LMC club grounds in Moorstown?

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
LMC isn't a Chapter in the CCC (not that that's a bad thing). There would be lots of issues with insurance and permits relating to that. Might be worth discussing though.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
this would be my vote if i had one and id be there for sure!! not that that matters but it is in ogemaw where the road issue is a non issue
>>>>http://www.ogemawtrails.com/

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Despite more whoops than are really necessary, we still had a great time at RoS. Friday evening it poured rain pretty hard, so the trails on Saturday were tacky and dust free, well, right up to the last few miles anyway. Temps were perfect all weekend; started out a little crisp Saturday morning, then warmed up later on. It was in the low 80's and sunny on Sunday.

This year's turnout was noticeably larger than the past two RoS events I've attended. The area around the MTR section used to be sparse... not this year. Overall I thought the event was well run, especially when you consider there were over 900 riders there. I also think the CCC and Capital Chapter did a great job of getting the word out on being a good dirt biker. There was a checkpoint as you headed out onto the trail where you were stopped and reminded once again to stay on the pavement on the road connectors. I saw very few tracks on the shoulders this year. And I never saw any CO or USFS officers.

I think that Whiskey Creek is a great facility for hosting the event, and it's definitely part of the draw. They have a nice lodge where you can get breakfast, lunch, and dinner, an indoor pool for the kids and non-riders, showers, and the grounds aren't overcrowded. And the area is remote and sparse enough that you can have bikes riding the roads without causing problems for the locals or the riders. Now the whoops on the Big 'O' I am tired of, but what's going to happen if the event is moved and another 900+ riders converge over 2 days on that trail system?

Anyway..... Had a great time riding again with V-Man, Sparky, MotoWeissen (back on a bike :cool: ), Fender, miScott, DirtGherkin, ET, and Sally. The ladies made it 50 miles or so Saturday, which is pretty impressive on those mini thumpers! Heard the MarlinBergs were up, but never saw them.

Woodsy and Larry made a grand entrance riding some big iron. Words or pictures don't do it justice (even if I had a picture to share... missed it!). And they rode these on part the dual sport loop. Woodsy, on a chopper, up on the pegs, riding in the sand. Makes the guy on the 950 Adventure look like a cupcake!

MotoMarie and ace gas man Fred T provided chase team support with gas and food. :cool: I think next year they'll bring a mini tanker and make a few hundy selling gas on the side of the road.

We had a couple of newbie trail riders with us that weekend. Zach's buddy Alex and his dad Andy came up for their first trail riding experience. Andy was originally gung-ho about riding the big loop on Saturday, but I convinced him the trail and distance might not be a good way to break yourself in. So they hit the kid's loop 5-6 times on Saturday to get their dirt legs, then I took them out for 40 miles of the Big 'O' on Sunday. They did great, and the 11 year old boys got a great kick out of flying down the dirt roads and riding on the pavement. Zach was pumped... "Dad, I was 5th gear pinned... first time ever!" :) He was even standing up pretty consistently weaving through the tighter twisty sections. Might even be ready for the whole loop next year... :ohmy:

Mini Slideshow (only had the camera out for the Sunday ride)
http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=343090789&key=qCZgkL

And the attached picture..... ya I know.... It wouldn't be RoS without Sparky collecting bark samples along the trail. But this was the tree that was hit near the end of Saturday's ride, and they had part of the trail closed down while they collected plastic. At the time it wasn't apparent what caused the kid to crash on this little two track. But hitting this section at speed in the opposite direction on Sunday, I think I know exactly what happened. About 30' before this tree is a deep depression in the trail with a dried up rut to one side. The depression is more like a squared-off hole, a little longer than the length of a bike. When taken at moderate speed, suspension may soak it up fine, and you'd be OK. But flying down the trail, and this squared off depression suddenly appearing, I can see a bike pitching you off pretty violently if hit the wrong way. Stay on the trail...

So then.... We'll do it again next year, no matter where it's held!

Attachments

• Barkbuster.JPG
    Barkbuster.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 74

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
2TrakR said:
LMC isn't a Chapter in the CCC (not that that's a bad thing). There would be lots of issues with insurance and permits relating to that. Might be worth discussing though.

LMC facilities are second to none! With the exception of no food court and pool. I under stand that a trail tour at that site, is just a pipe dream. But just think of the ride they could put on? With Grand Traverse, North Missaukee, North Higgins and with the correct permits, maybe a little event trail. OK wake me up now :coocoo: I wouldn’t blame them not wanting 900+ crazy dirt bikers tearing up there fine trails. I paid for two nights camping and only took a short dip in the pool. I didn’t like it, I felt like I was in the "Capital One NO ROOM!"
Now for my feeling on the Saturday TT and the weekend in general. I stopped by briefly to say high to the DRN crew. It was nice to see you all again! Sorry I didn’t get a chance to stay longer. I had my wife and daughter up so I was very busy trying to show them a good time. In general I felt this was one of the better ROS that I have attended. (4th one) Everybody seemed to minding there manners a lot better than years before! The W.O.T. runs down the camp ground road to the trail head seemed a lot less than previous years. And when some one did, One of elder riders was out of there camp to slow them down and have a talk with them. With the rain on Friday night, made the trail soil was glorious! Till after Baldwin when it dried out. As for the whoops "it's the R.O.S." get used to it! I was behind the poor gentle man that crashed his bike and had to be taken away in the ambulance. That hole looked more like a sink hole! It was big enough to lose a bike in.
Now for them crazy west side'ers who showed up on chopper and a motoguzzi! :coocoo: I was doing the dishes after dinner by my self back at my camp site. I see this biker trash roll up to a camp site a couple down from me, making a bunch of noise. “I'm talking to my inner self bitching" ya that's just what we need? Then I come to grips with it, saying to my inner self, it takes all kinds and there really not causing any trouble! I go back to the dishes and forget all about them till the yahoo, come up behind me and rev'es up his bike and scare the crap out of me! “Woodsy" We said high, talked about his ride up, two tracking on a chopper :coocoo: In all this was a very fun ride and well put together even with the trail Nazi’s

morgan

Nov 30, 2001
70 marlin said:
I had my wife and daughter up so I was very busy trying to show them a good time. ------------I was doing the dishes after dinner by my self.

Wow. :cool:

Just joking with ya Pat, had my share of dish pan hands myself on occasion. ;) M

SGJ_Johansen

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 28, 2004
Pat, don't be givin away our secret riding area:) As a LMC member, I don't think our club has the room need to host this size of an event. You see how crowded it is on a race weekend, and that is only a couple hundred riders. Back in the haydays of the 2 day jack pine with double the riders it was super crowded with lots riders having to stay off site. Granted we have some of the best tails close by.

Brian

amuledoc

May 13, 2005
He lives!

Hey everyone,
I am the notorious KTM pilot. Thanks for all the thoughts and well wishes. I'm fine, unbelieveabley so. Lots of BIG bruises and I'm still pretty sore. No work this week either.
Here's a recount of what happened...
I was in midrange coming into a corner from a whoop section starting to back off the throttle and the bike leaned out and pinned wide open in second gear. I twised the throttle back hit the back brake and had about 3 seconds until impact. No time to bail. :bang: BANG! OUCH! My buddy says I flew like helecopter blades sideways and landed about 30-35 feet away.
I've been riding bikes for 28 years from 2 strokes to 4 stokes and have never had anything like that happen before. Can't wait to tear it down and find out what happened.
As for now the "boss" isn't too happy but she is very supportive and won't tell me I can't ride but doesn't make any bones about telling me I'm too old for this *&%!
I have some pics of some pretty bruises but don't know how to post pics.

Mike,
Sorry about Eugene....for the 7 tenths of a mile I got to ride it it was great. :(

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Thanks for the details - I was wondering how it happened. I hear ya I had a stuck throttle Labor day weekend 03 and it cost me a busted wrist and ended my season. Things happen real fast and if you don't have much room/time to get things under control, then whamo! Although your bike did not fair very well, I'm glad to hear you made it through without serious injury. Check out ktmtalk.com "parts for sale" for the parts or you could part it out there. I have an 03 250 exc in great shape for sale if you need a bike.

Top Bottom