Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Roselawn 2007: Sand Booger / Sand Goblin (UNOFFICIAL) Results

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE RESULTS ARE UNOFFICIAL FOR THE SAND GOBLIN

Some changes were made during the protest period that are not reflected in the results for the Sand Goblin. I'll have to get some updated scores from the club, hopefully by this week.

Also, Super Senior was a single combined class, but had 2 different lengths for the Super Senior A and Super Senior B riders in D-14.

We had 214 riders for the Sand Booger, more than double from last year.

There were 257 riders for the Sand Goblin, down slightly from approximately 275 riders they typically get.

D-14 points standings will be posted *soon*. Pulling out riders from the D-15 class structure into the proper D-14 classes is going to take some work, and will likely need to be tweaked over the next couple of events as riders inform me what class they should be in.

Also, I need to get an updated list from the D-14 administrator as to who has paid their D-14 membership. I've found that in past seasons we've had riders from D-14 and other districts in our standings who were NOT paid D-14 members. If you don't have a paid membership on the date of an event, you will not get points for that event.

Links to results:

-> Sand Booger Summary Results (Official)
-> Sand Booger Detail Results (Official)

-> Sand Goblin Summary Results (Unofficial)
-> Sand Goblin Detail Results (Unofficial / Does not display all checks in report)

*These results are courtesy of the MotoTally software; more on that later.

Last edited:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
:cool:

Good work, Bill. Glad it all worked good for ya -- I know what it's like to do all that! I'm sure you were just a s tired as the rest of us when you got home!

Keep up the super work -- we ALL appreciate it!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
UP Magoo said:
:cool:

Good work, Bill. Glad it all worked good for ya -- I know what it's like to do all that! I'm sure you were just a s tired as the rest of us when you got home!

Keep up the super work -- we ALL appreciate it!

ditto! Thanks

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Great job Smitdog! Stop by the rig for a cold protein shake. :cool: Hell I might even let ya sit on bling bling...After the race that is.

DW

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
That was the first time I had ever worked sign-up and scored an event (and used the software). I was (and am still) completely fried - my left eye is still twitching and fingers are numb!

Rolled in 1:30am Friday evening and pretty much worked early Saturday morning through Sunday evening. Sign-up / scoring / sign-up / more sign-up / more scoring. With 2 back-to-back events it just never let up. This is NOT a 1-person job.

Signed-up 471 riders and entered nearly 6000 combined check scores. Did have some good help from my son and Fredette's kid.

Was on the phone multiple times with Jahelka - he was working a qualifier, and had to ride his bike (including late at night) up to the top of a mountain to get cell reception. :worship:

This was a tough one to take on as a first test. Four districts, multiple classes / splits, an ungodly number of checks and OBs (had to get creative last minute to get it defined in MotoTally), check clocks off (but didn't find out until after I had already scored everyone!), mostly illegible scoring.... I'm still collecting my thoughts on this, but will circle around with you, Brian, and the GKTR club on this later. I learned a lot...

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks for all of your hard work Bill :cool:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
I was VERY surprised to see you working alone. We deal with the multiple Districts, multiple classes, multiple rules issues too - I have some ideas that we used that made the sorting easier, that might help.
I'm sure you're exhausted! Been there, done that! I set up a small network, and that makes it a little easier -- multiple people entering the data makes it go a lot quicker (and is less stress on you!). It's pretty simple to train someone what to do with the program, in my experience. Frees you up to take care of bigger issues, should they arise (like your clock/check issue).
Brian is really super, I'm sure he'll appreciate your feedback. And I'll help however I can, too; I look forward to speaking or emailing about it with you.

Boy, talk about jumping in BOTH FEET! :boss:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I had only my laptop on the first day, but was able to borrow a club member's laptop for scoring on Sunday, and networked them. I used a wireless num-pad for scoring with somebody rattling off scores, and I was able to do a 22-check card in less than 30 seconds - accurate down to e-points. My son did not have a dedicated keypad or someone reading off scores, and it took him a lot longer.

A big problem was illegible scorecards. Club members calculated checks manually in addition to us doing them with the computer. We caught a fair amount of straight-up calc errors, but there were also a lot of problems trying to decipher if a number was a 0/8/6, 2/3, 2/3/5, 1/7/9, etc. We'd interpret it as one number, club members would interpret it differently. A lot of going to the back-up sheets.

I had to do this solo primarily because not everyone in the club is open to the idea. That, and I only have 1 laptop to use for this. For some club members I was "computer boy", getting in the way of them doing their job, so tried to be as unobtrusive as possible (except when they needed epoints calculated!). It's funny though.... the club was supposed to use an Excel program from the Riders M/C for signup/scoring, but quickly opted-out of that once they saw me doing it with MotoTally.

Dave Tripp from the club has been very supportive and helpful in allowing me to do what I did, and he does see the value in it. But there are lots of challenges in getting this fully implemented...

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Illegible scorecards are always an issue. We thought about scoring off of the backup books (super easy to do with MotoTally), but rules say you must score off of the card and only use the backup books in the case of a protest. Too bad, cause we could have an enduro scored within minutes of the last check closing if we did it that way. Although we would use the BU books if a number was clearly unidentifiable. We'd just enter everything we could for each rider, had a couple of people whose job it was to search the backup books for the particular score we needed, and then we'd just enter the scores once found (that way no double work).

I like the way the "computer guy" is in the way... until e-points have to get recalculated! And how they "come around" once they see it in action, realize how many calculation errors are made when manually scoring, and how easily recalculations and corrections are made!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Bill, thanks for all of the extra efforts.
If we need to arrange extra computers for the Spring Pine Cone, please let Yamahunt know (delegation at its best). I hope it goes better this weekend - only one event and hopefully some of the data is already entered.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
fatherandson said:
... I hope it goes better this weekend - only one event and hopefully some of the data is already entered.
Considering my expectations and what I wanted to get out of it, I think it went well.

All I wanted was to be able to walk away on Sunday having completed 100% of the sign-up, scoring, and results reporting for at least one event. If the thing blew up in my face half-way through Saturday, I wouldn't have had a chance run through the whole cycle to learn what worked and what didn't. Now I have the beginnings of a solid database for both series, understand the software and it's nuances better, and we identified a number of little issues that need to be addressed (OB checks, more than 5 on a row, more than 15 checks, etc). It may take the whole season to get through it all, but hopefully that'll set us up for looking really sweet in '08.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The results are unofficial....they was a rather vocal protest period...seems a 250B took a Lafferty pill and beat the overall winner (Mastin) in a section by 3 minutes. I think he missed part of the trail. Jeremy Breault won the class and the other rider was DQ'd.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
fatherandson said:
The results are unofficial....they was a rather vocal protest period...seems a 250B took a Lafferty pill and beat the overall winner (Mastin) in a section by 3 minutes. I think he missed part of the trail. Jeremy Breault won the class and the other rider was DQ'd.
Missed trail my azz! It was just a matter of time before that crew were to hang themselves anyways.:nod:

I'm sure other clubs will be on the look out for the remainder of the season.

DW

RMinthewoods

May 10, 2003
DW..I told u it would be a matter of time before the referred group members got there dues !! now we just need to get u on the mornin fast men breakfast..poptarts and donuts !!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
LMAO. Although I'm taking baby steps as Saturday night I did have one of them aftermarket peanut butter / fudge brownie race cookies that Liz baked up! Damn things were so gooooood to! Cost me 9 penalty points on Sunday tho - Sugar buzz musta killed off a few brain cells..... ;)

DW

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Seems like everyone was running hot and burning checks. You guys forget to change time zones? I'd get one of those fancy computors but I'm usually to tired to look at it.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
TCTrailrider said:
Seems like everyone was running hot and burning checks. You guys forget to change time zones? I'd get one of those fancy computors but I'm usually to tired to look at it.

It was a good ol fashioned time keeper enduro and they were messing with us, but it was fun. check ins were hidden and lots of guys were riding well into 2 min hot range and couldn't scrub off all of it. Maurer and I were communicating all day long, checking our mileage every corner and we were able to zero all of them, well Mike was a tad ahead of me at one and got bit. You had to pay attention. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom